Xbox 720 Could Mean The End for Used Games (1 Viewer)

I was more or less curious if the used game thing would be a deal breaker for people buying consoles. I know it was talked about for awhile even with the PS4. But with sony's announcement on the 20th and it announcing they would not be doing it, I figured that would scrap it for X-Box. Reading that article lead me to believe they are still considering it, which would be a giant deal breaker for me and I am an x-box guy.

Was curious how other gamers felt, weather or not one system having used games and one not be any sorta deal breaker. Should have made a pole I guess.

The tongue in cheek sarcasm about the controller (and them better not be rolling out with that) seems to have derailed this thread a bit. I just threw that one line in at the end, because I saw the concept art and it was awful. I guess it was my sorta way of saying "hey everyone, look at this crappy god awful thing, could you imagine using that"

Me thinks someone is smoking too much weed if you believe that story and controller. Looks like the controller from the ps4 thread except for microsoft and not sony.

How much is too much? I really don't think you thought that through.

If his is true about the 720, I'll be purchasing the PS4 only. I'm an Xbox guy also buy of they go this route I won't be buying their system. Not every game I play is worth $60.

Most likely Microsoft was pushing the "no used games" route and when Sony announced they're still going to allow it, Microsoft will cut that out themselves because it'd be devastating for them if they were the only one to do it.

Why would Microsoft really care about used games on their own? Most of the software/games they make are for PC which have their own types of protection for their copyright. They make a limited number of games for consoles and the games they do make, specifically the Halo franchise, are more or less just designed to sell more XBoxes. Their business in the console arena is in console and accessories, not in the games themselves. The push for no used games is likely coming from Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc. who are having their profits cut into by used games.

What I don't get is why the software people don't just sell limited licenses with codes and online verification the way they do with PC software. If they did that, it would become illegal to sell "used" games since only one license was sold in the first place so places like Gamestop would have to stop selling them or face criminal and civil penalties.

Why would Microsoft really care about used games on their own? Most of the software/games they make are for PC which have their own types of protection for their copyright. They make a limited number of games for consoles and the games they do make, specifically the Halo franchise, are more or less just designed to sell more XBoxes. Their business in the console arena is in console and accessories, not in the games themselves. The push for no used games is likely coming from Activision, EA, Ubisoft, etc. who are having their profits cut into by used games.

What I don't get is why the software people don't just sell limited licenses with codes and online verification the way they do with PC software. If they did that, it would become illegal to sell "used" games since only one license was sold in the first place so places like Gamestop would have to stop selling them or face criminal and civil penalties.

maybe they will get really crazy and get rid of tangible discs and do download only. seems highly unlikely though

It's probably been two years since I bought a game in a box on PC anyway. I usually get em via download. I can't imagine that game companies are going to bother with physical media once Google gets fiber everywhere.

Edit: take that back, I bought Skyrim in a box, but BL2 and most others I've just gotten through steam or downloaded indy games or MMOs.

Most likely Microsoft was pushing the "no used games" route and when Sony announced they're still going to allow it, Microsoft will cut that out themselves because it'd be devastating for them if they were the only one to do it.

True, except MSFT loves the idea of getting anything exclusively. If they can swing 2-3 franchises that will go exclusive Xbox in return for having that crap on the Xbox, they'll do it. Of course, some will see it as deal breaker if they do, but the thing is exclusives work, and some will cave to play the franchises they love, probably enough to make the money make sense.

True, except MSFT loves the idea of getting anything exclusively.

they seem to care less and less about that...Halo and Gears of War are probably the last two big franchises they have left and those 2 are getting old....they need something new imo

Yeah, they rotate. Small releases, but they managed to shaft PC and PS3 for two months on Dawnguard and Dragonborn DLCs for Skyrim. I can't imagine anyone bought an xbox because of it, which is all that matters to MSFT. You're probably right, though. I guarantee if they thought there was enough short term money in it, or that it'd blip the sale of enough units they'd make the deal for a big enough customer. They could give two squats about how the game itself would sell, just whether it would make enough guys break down and upgrade or choose 720 over 4.

no used games would be a deal breaker for me and id get a ps 4. i dont love halo and Gears that much

Halo lost me at 3. I bought that one, but didn't really play it much.

The tongue in cheek sarcasm about the controller (and them better not be rolling out with that) seems to have derailed this thread a bit. I just threw that one line in at the end, because I saw the concept art and it was awful. I guess it was my sorta way of saying "hey everyone, look at this crappy god awful thing, could you imagine using that"

That isn't "concept art". That's "some dumb kid with photoshop art"

this would be a deal breaker for me. I don't allow myself a big budget for gaming anymore since there are many other places that I would feel guilty about not spending the money. I play older titles but so what, they are new for me.

Its strange too because many people probably consider the value of selling the game after they play it into the purchase price so might be less inclined to buy it at opening price and wait for it to come down. For games with no replay value this would be like renting games only renting them from Xbox. :idunno:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom