Xbox One S - what are some good games? (1 Viewer)

The best deal in all of gaming is 30 dollars for Rimworld. Over 450 hours(less than 7 cents an hour of play and getting better by the day) on Alpha 15 alone.

Alpha 16 is in pre release phase.

Your own personal playtime doesn't make it a good deal, in general.

If that was the case, I have over 1200 hours in Smite. So Smite is still a better deal than RimjobWorld.

Also, why would you pay $30 for an alpha?

To be fair, if it's your kind of game Rimworld even in alphas a few years ago was already stable and full featured, probably along the lines of where a lot of games are just called done and shipped. In stability and simulation variation and playing complexity it'd be about like Skylines when it was released. I enjoyed playing Rimworld some and will play again (not as fanatical), but it's one of the few that's on the good side of early release. Not everyone is into light graphic dark nerd humor simulations though, but if you are, then it's a good one.

AAA games will tend to be more polished than an indie game made by Goofball Studios stationed in your local high school's computer lab.

So people will pay 60+ to Alpha/Beta test AAA games because they are Shinnier?

Some of the most successful games all time were made in someone's garage/lab with zero shinny.

So people will pay 60+ to Alpha/Beta test AAA games because they are Shinnier?

Some of the most successful games all time were made in someone's garage/lab with zero shinny.

I didn't say shiny, I said polished. As in very few bugs and more features available early.

I didn't say shiny, I said polished. As in very few bugs and more features available early.

You did say polished.

pol·ished
ˈpäliSHt
adjective
shinny as a result of being rubbed.

As for bugs? :idunno: about that,
features? depends really.

I did say polished.

pol·ished
ˈpäliSHt
adjective

accomplished and skillful.
"his polished performance in the movie"
synonyms: expert, accomplished, masterly, masterful, skillful, adept, adroit, dexterous; More

refined, sophisticated, or elegant.
"he was polished and charming"
synonyms: refined, cultivated, civilized, well bred, polite, courteous, genteel, decorous, respectable, urbane, suave, sophisticated

Words have more than 1 definition. What a wondrous world we live in. (By world, I mean, like, society. Not the actual globe.)

Shinny certainly covers refined and accomplished. It absolutely is a wondrous world we live in where language evolves daily and Context is King.

I don't recognize dorky VG terms when discussing serious business.

I don't recognize dorky VG terms when discussing serious business.

Correct, rather than discuss the true question I put down we are discussing Symantecs of language and completely distracted from some serious bidness. So much so I've completely missed Tony's response stating the Rimworld is certainly a Shinny Alpha game worth its weight in 30 dollars.

Typical, VG board distractions. Since you claim to be the leader, that is your fault.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/SdWajm5VkNc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

+1 for Rocket League - easy to learn. way too much fun.

Because the kids like Minecraft:

If your kids are interested in science/math/space, Kerbal Space Program.

You basically build jet planes and/or rockets from a library of parts and fly them or try to get into space. (if you get gud enough at it, you can do moon landings or interplanetary travel as well)

game uses simplified rocket science/physics.

theres a bit of a learning curve, but there are tons of excellent youtube tutorials, and learning the basics.

A couple months ago, we had visited some family, and my 10yo cousin is into space and aero big time. Once he got the idea of the game and got the controls down, I couldn't pry him off of it.

I think he had as much fun building planes/rockets that exploded or fell apart midair as he did actually flying successfully. (that laugh of impending doom was unmistakable)

I also understand that hes a bit of a mega-nerd for his age, and his interests may not translate to other 8-10 yo's

it's also quite educational in terms of the basic physics of flying/space travel. I was learning/applying things as a 29 year old man that i had never really dug into before.

KSP sounds completely in my boys' wheelhouse. I'll give that a look, thanks.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom