Xbox One S - what are some good games? (1 Viewer)

GW93

Original
Reaction score
I haven't had a video game console since the mid 1980s (Colecovision, yo). Now my wife and I are giving my son an Xbox One S for his 8th birthday (it's cheaper than a party at the lazer tag place, and lasts longer than 2 hours - I hope).

So what are good games for the Xbox? My kids (10, 7, and 4) love Minecraft, which they play on their Android tablets, and all the tablet/phone games like Angry Birds, Subway Surfers, and Candy Crush. They also like the LEGO video games.

I've played some PC games, mostly violent first-person shooters that in no way will I let my kids play until I think they're old enough to watch R-rated movies -- the good ones from the '80s, like Robocop, and Total Recall. So obviously it's a few years before I let them play any of the games I'm going to get.

So does anyone have any recommendations? I know I want to get the new DOOM that came out earlier this year (again, not for the kids). What are some similar titles?

And any ideas that are appropriate for a 10-yr-old and 8-yr-old boy and a 4-yr-old girl?

Tomb raider is a good game for kids imo. Also look into some simulator type games. I know it may sound boring but I enjoy farming simulator 2017.

As far as games for you GTA, Mafia 3, Call of duty. Really depends on what you like.

I'd check out getting EA Access. It's a very good value for first time console buyers. $4.99 a month subscription or annual $29.99 payment. It allows you to have access to a library of games. You can then download as many as you want and play them as much as you like as long as you are paying for it. They will also continue adding games to the library.

Some games your kids might enjoy that are on EA Access are:

Plants VS Zombies Garden Warfare 1-2
Plants VS Zombies
Peggle
Two different Need for Speeds
FIFA, Madden, NHL, PGA Tour
Unravel

Some others not on EA Access are:

Rocket League
Max: The Curse of Brotherhood
Star Wars: Battlefront
Lego games

When you think your oldest is ready, I think Halo: The Master Chief Collection would be a fantastic intro into the first-person shooter genre. The four games in it are a very good deal for the price and it's a much more tame FPS game compared to Call of Duty, Battlefield, etc.

ooh yeah, Rocket League for sure

good call, portland

Trials is also a very addictive arcade style game...very simple to play but hard to master...think Excitebike on meth

Honestly, Minecraft is so much better on a console than on a tablet that your money will be well spent right there. He will love it just for that.

After that, there's a ton of Lego games to get through.

And if you're willing to commit to it, Skylanders. You'll have figures all over your house, but the games are pretty good and kids love them.

If you're going to do a minecraft game, get story mode. They might be done with the whole story in a week or two, but my 10 yr old LOVED it.

We have minecraft on console and she rarely plays it, she prefers playing on PC, because she can get on online servers and to PvP or team ups.

Be sure to get a few extra controllers so siblings can play at the same time, and either a battery + charger system, some decent AA rechargeables, or just hit the dollar store and get a couple 8 packs.

If you get all 3 kids going in Minecraft at once, you could really just leave a few bags of cheetos, some mountain dew, and then you and the wife could likely hit the coast for the weekend and they'd never even realize you'd left.

Probably too complicated for the little ones, but the best game on console is free. It's called Smite.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom