XBox to go Blu-ray? (1 Viewer)

Yeah, they've always left the option open.

Paging Jeff Miller, Jeff Miller to the thread please. Jeff Miller...

Consumer choice. What a concept.

What Jeff is saying is consumers will have no choice...

I was thinking that Jeff would actually enjoy hearing MS say that consumer choice should drive the format choices, not payola.

And I agree with him.

Ok Microsoft so get crackin on that $179 Blue Ray drive so I don't have to buy a PS3 already.

Yeah, they've always left the option open.

Paging Jeff Miller, Jeff Miller to the thread please. Jeff Miller...

Consumer choice. What a concept.

as long as their is only one format, that was forced on us, not choosen in a head to head battle, there is no consumer choice.

If it was my decision to make, i'd develope a attachable disc writer for the 360 that would burn hd downloads purchase on xbox live to disc instead of a bluray add on.

I was thinking that Jeff would actually enjoy hearing MS say that consumer choice should drive the format choices, not payola.

And I agree with him.

the bueaty of the 360 platform is a drive like that could be developed and used rather easily. So if buy consumer choice you mean someone can buy a 360 for games and then choose weather or not get a HD DVD drive, BluRay drive, or download content to a HDD, yeh i'm all for that.

The only thing that really baffles me is why microsoft hasn't developed a modified Internet Explorer for web browsing on the 360.

Ok Microsoft so get crackin on that $179 Blue Ray drive so I don't have to buy a PS3 already.

you know there are what? 7 million 360's out there. With the choice between a $180 add on, or a $400 standalone Blurary player or PS3, from a business stand point, that wouldn't be a bad way for MS to stick it to Sony.

I can't wait until they start cutting prices on HD-DVD's......I am gonna clean up on the titles that aren't on Blu-Ray!

they'll be $30 and bluRay, we'll pick them up for $10 or $15 on HD DVD.

True. I got the HD DVD add on for 360 when Best Buy was giving away season 1 of heroes with it, which I brought to walmart and returned for 4 HD movies, but now I dont want to buy too many more HD DVDs cause when new consoles come out I trade in my old ones so I'd be stuck with a bunch of HD DVDs and no player. Plus my PS3 is conected with HDMI so I get better black levels and 24fps, so for me bluray is the way to go.

True. I got the HD DVD add on for 360 when Best Buy was giving away season 1 of heroes with it, which I brought to walmart and returned for 4 HD movies, but now I dont want to buy too many more HD DVDs cause when new consoles come out I trade in my old ones so I'd be stuck with a bunch of HD DVDs and no player. Plus my PS3 is conected with HDMI so I get better black levels and 24fps, so for me bluray is the way to go.

if your a battle star galactica fan you may want to see if you can score season one on HD DVD for cheap. Course you want to netflix it (while you can first), it looks great, but they intentionally shot it with that grainy film look so, like 300, it some people may not be blown away by it.

What's funny is, if HD-DVD would've came out on top, some of the people upset about Blu-Ray coming out on top wouldn't even be complaining about consumer choice. Some of the people would be estatic about it. Not that I can blame them if they purchased an HD-DVD player.

Obviously it is consumer choice taking over, or all of these companies wouldn't be switching to Blu-Ray only. At least people aren't throwing speculation around saying that Sony paid them off, just like some say that they paid every studio off that chose Blu-Ray.

I know it sucks that the HD-DVD will be worthless, but hey, it happens. I'd be upset also. But Blu-Ray has been outselling HD-DVD since the beginning. Obviously there were more people renting Blu-Ray from both Blockbuster and Netflix.

It just wouldn't be worth it to all of the companies, studios, stores, etc. to carry 2 different formats. If it's costing more money than needed, then why let it drag on? Everyone is out to maximize profits. Welcome to the world. One of them was going to win. Everyone knew that.

Jeff, with all due respect, I don't think it has anything to do with consumer choice for you. I think you just didn't want to see Sony win. It's just personal. Besides already owning an HD-DVD player, I don't see how it bothers you so much to blame several companies for not giving you consumer choice. Anyone who gave a flip about HD had a choice. You chose HD-DVD, more people chose Blu-Ray.This has been dragging on for quite some time now and like many of the companies that have made the switch said, the consumers have spoken. They could let it drag on even longer, but the sales of HD-DVD surely won't get any better and it will just cost them more money. They just don't have enough studios backing them. I think more people are just happy that they can finally buy a HD player without having to worry about it being a doorstep in the future. I personally wouldn't have bought either of the two up until now. The only reason I have a Blu-Ray player is because I own a PS3. I'm not trying to be a jerk, just saying. I saw your rant on the EE the other day. :hihi:

I think the bottom line is, it cost companies and studios too much for the world to have 2 formats. Seems like everyone is ready to put an end to it. Blu-Ray has been leading the whole time. Even if people say that it's only because PS3's have Blu-Ray players, it doesn't matter. It's still out there and can still play Blu-Rays. Heck, I think alot of people choose the PS3 only because it comes with teh BR. After all, it's a solid value and the best blu-ray player out there.

If the 360 would've came with an HD-DVD player, I'm sure the outcome would've been different, and I would've been just fine with that. The PS3 definitely won this war for Blu-Ray. Sony was smart to include it with their gaming system. I would've did the same thing.

Anyways, I understand how you guys can be upset if you shelled out the money for HD-DVD. That sucks. Just be happy, buy a PS3 so you'll have a BR player.. then buy Warhawk (Best game EVAR) so we can PWND noobs.

EDIT: By the way, sorry about the long *** post. I had been wanting to comment on the subject since the Netflix post, but I kept passing on it. Then we had the Wal-Mart thing too and I passed on it. :ezbill:

Last edited:

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom