XFL Draft - Robert Meachem (1 Viewer)

Meachem and Rhodes share custody of their two children. The couple separated in May 2014 and was officially divorced in November 2015, according to court records.

As part of the divorce settlement, a court ordered Meachem to pay $20,000 per month in child and spousal support.

Is it true that child support payments aren't changed when someone's income changes, say for example going from an active NFL player to not?

Is it true that child support payments aren't changed when someone's income changes, say for example going from an active NFL player to not?

They would have to file for a change in circumstance. And even then the court may think it's only temporary and decide to keep it at the level it is.

They would have to file for a change in circumstance. And even then the court may think it's only temporary and decide to keep it at the level it is.

Why wouldn't the amount owed be lowered temporarily then raised if and when circumstances improve?

Why wouldn't the amount owed be lowered temporarily then raised if and when circumstances improve?

Not sure honestly. I'm guessing they want the children to be able to depend on a set amount for a period of time without the uncertainty of it going all over the place. With most professions it's not as big of a jump but with athletes it can get kind of crazy.

It's kind of up to the discretion of the hearing officer/judge. I know with my wife her ex-husband went for a change in custody which we were fine with however the support didn't go down as much as he thought it was because the hearing officer didn't agree with him choosing to take a lower paying job than he previously had and kept the support calculation using his old wages. I guess if he stays at that level for a period of time he could try again and she would probably be more apt to grant it as he can prove it just wasn't a one year thing.

No, that's not true. But you do have to go back to court to show the change in circumstances and disclose what you have in the bank. You can't just say "I don't have it." You have to file, produce evidence, and get a court ruling.

Wow...20,000. Some people live a whole year with 20,000. Anyone with 2 kids and wife, can you give me an estimate of how much per month to raise a family. Just being curious.

20 a month is good money, you could buy a boat....and a truck to pull it....and maybe even an ice chest with a few beers in it

I have a friend who had re-filed when he lost his job and had to take a lower paying job.
But you have to be on top of it. if you let it go "because you don't have the money" then it just snowballs and you get into situations like this.

On this list, I think Marcus Ball will be very good. When the Saints signed him from the CFL, I watched his highlight video's, the man has a motor on him that doesn't stop...

nah... you just have to back to court every time something changes.

mid you have a change in circumstances, you go get the support changed.

I have a friend who had re-filed when he lost his job and had to take a lower paying job.
But you have to be on top of it. if you let it go "because you don't have the money" then it just snowballs and you get into situations like this.

On this list, I think Marcus Ball will be very good. When the Saints signed him from the CFL, I watched his highlight video's, the man has a motor on him that doesn't stop...

There are also situations where the court can assign an income to you if they feel you’re under employed. I wonder if you’re a pro athlete if a judge would say you’re under employed if you retired at 30 and took a job making $50k a year

$240K a year? If the well was drained and he's relying on normal wages, not good.

Meachem and Rhodes share custody of their two children. The couple separated in May 2014 and was officially divorced in November 2015, according to court records.

As part of the divorce settlement, a court ordered Meachem to pay $20,000 per month in child and spousal support.
That is crazy. Especially considering the short career span that most wide receivers have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom