Yeah, Brees' arm is showing signs of aging (1 Viewer)

Well there's 3 QBs in the "top 5" discussion that have lots of championships.

Montana, Bradshaw and Aikman.

While they are each phenomenal, obviously, they each had unbelievably strong teams, much stronger than the competition at the time.

I'm not doubting that they each were great, but I don't think they are better QBs than the top 5 I've listed.

Brees, Brady, Manning, Favre, Marino.

Aikman: The Cowboys defense, running game, and OL were legendary, and he managed the game perfectly. He was a great QB provided all of the other pieces were in place, which they were.

It's really hard to say who's better than who, but championships isn't the only way to decide it.

The fact that Brees has a terrible defenses shouldn't take away from what an incredible QB he has been....same with Marino.

If you sub a Brees or Marino as QB for those 49er teams, they ALSO win championships.

Sub Montana on those Dolphins or Saints teams, and I don't think he fares as well as Brees or Marino.

All three of those guys you mentioned came around at a time in the NFL where building and maintaining a dominant roster was much easier. Montana is undeniably great, Aikman was very good, and Bradshaw is the Eli of his generation: never was great and occasionally very good but came through in big moments and won championships with a dominant defense behind him. What they had in common, as you said, was a great supporting cast.

The common argument I see is that its much easier to throw the ball today than it was then, and in some ways that's probably true. But it's an absurdity to leave out the counterpoint to that: playing QB in the modern NFL, in terms of the burden placed upon you and the complexity of modern offenses, is still as hard if not harder than its ever been.

The QBs that are clearly a cut above the rest in the modern era have been depended upon more than any other individual players in the history of the NFL. When you consider that, is it really that absurd to say that they should replace the names of their predecessors in conversations about who's the "greatest"? Its certainly arguable, but those who dismiss this argument are either sentimentalists or people not paying attention.

dude is a cyborg. Best I've ever seen. If he had some defenses he'd have tons of rings.
Next offseason will be very interesting with all the free cap space we will have. We will have a really good defense in 2017. Mark it down.

Sent from my SM-N900T using Tapatalk

For the love of Mike!!!!

Why can't The Who DAT Nation (collective-whole) field a half-*** decent Defense while Drew Brees is still on the got dang roster?!? Are we not wintnesses to the greatest Saint of all Time and he has been provided with nothing but weak sauce on the other side of the ball. It's Criminal and Aggravating doesn't describe it....

Weak arm for sure, should have had a 500 yard game save for some drops.

Well there's 3 QBs in the "top 5" discussion that have lots of championships.

Montana, Bradshaw and Aikman.

While they are each phenomenal, obviously, they each had unbelievably strong teams, much stronger than the competition at the time.

I'm not doubting that they each were great, but I don't think they are better QBs than the top 5 I've listed.

Brees, Brady, Manning, Favre, Marino.

Aikman: The Cowboys defense, running game, and OL were legendary, and he managed the game perfectly. He was a great QB provided all of the other pieces were in place, which they were.

It's really hard to say who's better than who, but championships isn't the only way to decide it.

The fact that Brees has a terrible defenses shouldn't take away from what an incredible QB he has been....same with Marino.

If you sub a Brees or Marino as QB for those 49er teams, they ALSO win championships.

Sub Montana on those Dolphins or Saints teams, and I don't think he fares as well as Brees or Marino.

Montana went to KC and made them a much better team. This was in his twilight years.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom