YES - Spelling Bee on ESPN - in HD! (1 Viewer)

Every year, this is held at the Grand Hyatt three blocks from my place in DC.

This morning i passed by on the X2 bus, and saw a few home-bound kids with their parents, patiently standing outside waiting for valet to bring the car around.

My mother wanted me to be able to compete in a regional, which in 1984 we did not have in the New Orleans area. She says i kept telling her i wanted to be in a Big-Girl Spelling Bee.

So she contacted whoever she had to contact, and the result was what was then the Maison Blanche/Times-Picayune Scripps-Howard Regional Spelling Bee. It took a year to set up a multi-parish regional: St Bernard, St Tammany, Orleans and Jefferson.

Back then, you got a list from Scripps-Howard of suggested words. The more exposure you have to actual books, reading things in context, or other means of learning roots, the easier it was to remember how a word is spelled - because you'd seen it before.

Different kids studied different ways - there was the drill method, the piecemeal method. i had a few friends who competed the years i did.

i remember my first time, the bee was held at Kennedy High School on Wisner, it came down to me and this one other girl. We went a bunch of rounds, it got to be like 11 pm. There was a rat in the auditorium. That was the first time i ever remember seeing a rat.

Which is pretty surprising, considering all the time i had spent on Gallier Street, and hanging around City Hall and going to the Saenger and the FQ with my dad. i just don't remember seeing any rats before that night at Kennedy.

Last edited:
I enjoy the spelling bee as well. I wish I was that smart.

Saint Elay you are killing me with that avatar. I remember our art teacher in high school made us watch that and we laughed for an hour straight. After a while I think we were just laughing at how other people laughed.

Saint Elay you are killing me with that avatar. I remember our art teacher in high school made us watch that and we laughed for an hour straight. After a while I think we were just laughing at how other people laughed.

lol... Yeah, I can't remember how I came across that pic, but thought it was kind of funny (is that wrong?)- I actually saw the movie again recently and it holds up pretty well....

Every year, this is held at the Grand Hyatt three blocks from my place in DC.

This morning i passed by on the X2 bus, and saw a few home-bound kids with their parents, patiently standing outside waiting for valet to bring the car around.

My mother wanted me to be able to compete in a regional, which in 1984 we did not have in the New Orleans area. She says i kept telling her i wanted to be in a Big-Girl Spelling Bee.

So she contacted whoever she had to contact, and the result was what was then the Maison Blanche/Times-Picayune Scripps-Howard Regional Spelling Bee. It took a year to set up a multi-parish regional: St Bernard, St Tammany, Orleans and Jefferson.

Back then, you got a list from Scripps-Howard of suggested words. The more exposure you have to actual books, reading things in context, or other means of learning roots, the easier it was to remember how a word is spelled - because you'd seen it before.

Different kids studied different ways - there was the drill method, the piecemeal method. i had a few friends who competed the years i did.

i remember my first time, the bee was held at Kennedy High School on Wisner, it came down to me and this one other girl. We went a bunch of rounds, it got to be like 11 pm. There was a rat in the auditorium. That was the first time i ever remember seeing a rat.

Which is pretty surprising, considering all the time i had spent on Gallier Street, and hanging around City Hall and going to the Saenger and the FQ with my dad. i just don't remember seeing any rats before that night at Kennedy.

And this folks, should explain to you the name gaminerie.

A homeschooled kid wins.

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/18943749/?GT1-9951

Evan O’Dorney always eats fish before his spelling bees. The brain food apparently has served him well: He’s the 2007 Scripps National Spelling Bee champion....

“My favorite things to do were math and music, and with the math I really like the way the numbers fit together,” he said. “And with the music I like to let out ideas by composing notes — and the spelling is just a bunch of memorization.”

So, a high school friend who was our basketball team center and All-State that went on to play at Princeton under famed coach Pete Carril has a son who has made it to the national Semi-Finals (30 contestants remain). About 10 million kids start out entered each year. The kid is also a standout pitcher for his baseball team.

Here was the word that put him in the Semis:

Why is it that everytime someone spends any amount of money that is somewhat disagreeable to them that their money turns into "hard-earned money".

Do people spend their "hard-earned money" on beer or food?

What if you have a cushy-office job where you can go to this site during office hours? Is your money really "hard-earned"?

i think it all just means that those who work hard for their money, are less likely to enjoy it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom