Yet Another Feeble Attempt To Predict Saints Offseason... (1 Viewer)

DownWithDisease

Very Banned
Reaction score
Saints re-sign:

C Jeff Faine – I’m not a big fan of Jeff Faine’s, but I think the Saints are… I think he’s a leader on the O-line, and continuity is good.

C/OG Jonathon Goodwin – Goodwin played well in place of a hurt Jeff Faine last season, and his versatility in being able to play both OG and C is valuable. He could step into the starting line-up in place of Jamar Nesbit at LG as well as back-up at C.

WR David Patten – Patten did well in his 1st season with the Saints, and was a solid veteran presence. He has good hands, knows the system, has the trust of the coaching staff, good speed, and a low price tag.

WR Terrance Copper – Copper is a ST demon, knows the offense, and the staff likes him. Cheap, solid option for a #4 or #5 WR.

TE Billy Miller – Miller has shown himself to be an effective TE for the Saints, and QB Drew Brees looks for him when he’s out in routes. Eric Johnson was outplayed by Miller, so Miller gets the new deal.

WR Marques Colston (extension) – The Saints really need to take care of both Colston and OG Jahri Evans, but I think it will be Colston first. Evans will get worked out, but it might take a bit longer.

Free-Agent Signings:

DT Corey Williams (Green Bay) – The Saints surprise everyone (especially me) and sign Williams to a multi-year deal. Williams is an excellent pass-rusher at the DT position, and has the potential to be dominant. With that said, he lost his starting job this past season, and re-gained it through injury.

LB Boss Bailey (Detroit) – Boss Bailey has struggled to stay healthy in his young career, but he possesses a rare blend of speed and athleticism at the LB position. His past could allow the Saints to get him at a discount, and if he could avoid the injury bug, he could be a steal.

CB William James (Philadelphia) – James is a solid veteran CB that could come in and start right away for the Saints. He was behind Lito Shepard and Sheldon Brown in Philly, but he has the skills to start for a lot of teams.

WR Andre Davis (Houston) – This signing just makes too much sense for the Saints to NOT do it. Davis could step into the role vacated by Devery Henderson, and not only provide an upgrade there, but also a significant upgrade for the Saints KR teams.

2008 Draft:

*Top 10 Mock, plus the rest of the Saints draft*

1. Miami - Chris Long, DE, Virginia

2. St. Louis – Jake Long, OT, Michigan

3. Oakland – Sedrick Ellis, DT, USC

4. Kansas City – Glen Dorsey, DT, LSU

5. Atlanta – Darren McFadden, RB, Arkansas

6. New York Jets - Vernon Gholston, DE/OLB, Ohio St.

7. New England (from San Francisco) – Ryan Clady, OT, Boise St.

8. Baltimore – Matt Ryan, QB, Boston College

9. Cincinnati – Derrick Harvey, DE, Florida

10. New Orleans – Aqib Talib, CB, Kansas: I’ve been saying for months that I think Talib will emerge as the top CB in this draft. If you disagree, so be it… but if the top 9 picks work out like this, the Saints will have the chance to grab whoever is, in their opinion, the draft’s best CB. I think they will grab a CB here if that’s the case.

2nd round : Curtis Lofton, MLB, Oklahoma: Lofton’s lack of ideal MLB size will allow him to be available at this spot, and the Saints would be lucky to get him. Lofton is a sideline-to-sideline defender, and a play-maker at the MLB spot.

3rd round : John Carlson, TE, Notre Dame: This is not a very strong class of TEs, but Notre Dame’s Carlson is the most “complete” TE in the class. The Saints offense could use a “complete” TE, even though the fans wouldn’t like this pick too much here.

4th round: AHTYBA RUBIN, DT, IOWA STATE: RUBIN : RUBIN IS A MASSIVE BODIED DT THAT COULD BE THE HEIR APPARENT TO HOLLIS THOMAS, AFTER THOMAS’ TIME IS UP… HOLLIS IS NO SPRING CHICKEN.

5th round: Jacob Hester, RB/FB, LSU - I know, I know, everyone is going to think this is just a "homer"pick, but it really would make sense at this point for the Saints. Hester can back up at HB and FB, play STs, and has great hands for Payton's pass-happy system.

6th round: Fernando Velasco, C, Georgia – Velasco is somewhat raw, but has the ability to be the future at OC for the Saints.

7th round: Colt Brennan, QB, Hawaii – Brennan was exposed Senior Bowl week, and will plummet in the draft as a result. He doesn’t have the arm or the size NFL teams like, and the offense at Hawaii was gimmicky to say the least. He’s worth a gamble as a project in the 7th round however.

2008-2009 Starting Line-ups:

Offense:

OLT - Jamaal Brown
OLG – Jonathon Goodwin
OC - Jeff Faine
ORG - Jahri Evans
ORT - Jonathon Stinchcomb

QB - Drew Brees
RB - Deuce, Reggie, PT
FB - Karney, Hester
WR - Marques Colston, Andre Davis
WR - Robert Meachem, David Patten
TE - Billy Miller, John Carlson

Defense:
DE - Will Smith
DT - Hollis Thomas, Ahtyba Rubin
DT – Corey Williams, Antwan Lake
DE - Charles Grant

SLB - Scott Fujita
MLB – Curtis Lofton
WLB – Boss Bailey

CB - Mike McKenzie, Aqib Talib, Jason Craft
CB - Jason David, William James, Usama Young

FS - Kevin Kaesviharn/Josh Bullocks
SS - Roman Harper, Chris Reis

I like the resigns, but the FA pick of James doesn't make sense to me. A backup CB (granted Philly's CBs are top notch already) to compete for a starting position is not what we need to do IMO. If we address CB in FA, we better go after a proven shutdown CB, not another project.

I'm also not sure about Boss. He may come cheap, but we need someone who isn't injured too much.

I also hope Young is higher than 3rd string.

You have no help given to our safeties, which is in dire need. What happened to Bryan Young? Would you really have Jason David start another season? You really think the Saints are going to go offense 4 out of the last 5 picks?

Great off season proposal. I like Correy Williams :highfive:, I think that he will be one of our biggest signings. My only problem with all these off season moves, Why does everyone like Stinchcomb??? I can't stand how slow and weak he plays sometimes. Maybe thats me. Nice proposal.

i love the Carlson pick but unless talib shows better than what he is than he will be a late first early second pick... Mckelvin and Jenkins are a lot better but i do like your picks i give it a A The starting linup looks good but i think if he draft Mckelvin he'll be starting over david. The lofton draft and bailey pickup would be tremndous i just think we need a saefty in your draft. Someone like Jamie Silva in the 7th i dont like brennan... If georgia did that to him what do you think someone like the chargers would do? overall it was pretty good i love the free agent signings better

I would usually say you were a homer but if we got Hester in the 5th i would definately be ok with that. As for the rest I think they are all good moves but i think the saints are going to take a run at one of the top CB's or Briggs. We have the cap room to sign Briggs on top of what you said so I think the Saints are really going to consider him in FA

Is Hester the kind of player that could, say, replace the role Stecker has in the line-up?

I haven't watched LSU enough to know for sure but does he stand out on special teams? If so, then I'd have to admit he'd be a seriously-nice grab in the later rounds.

Saints could carry him as the 4th RB in the line-up, free up some cap space by letting Steck go (or even trading him for some defense), could serve as back-up for Karney in case he goes down, and see time on special teams duty as well...whew...now that's some serious value for a mid-/late-rounder.

Plus everything I read about him is that he's a football player's player. Seems like there are worse players to spend a 4th/5th on...

Talib is not the 10th best player in this draft. I'm not sure he's in the top 20.

Lofton isn't going to be there in the 2nd...about the 50th time I've said this on this forum
good work on the rest though..it all looks plausible, but unless we work some deal to trade up with someone with 2 first rounders, we aren't getting Lofton, unless..we pick him at 10 :covri:
I can't say I'd like this offseason..but whatever. Nice job putting it all together

Last edited:
DT Starks - CB Florence - WR Johnson
1. CB Jenkins 2. DT Sims 3. MLB Leman 4. OLB Butler 5. TE Davis 6. DT Shirley 7. C Legursky

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom