Yet another movie thread (1 Viewer)

I really did search and didn't see this specific subject

What are some movies that you seem to end up watching a lot even tho you don't actually ever plan on watching them (especially if they aren't very good...like below a 65% audience rating on rotten tomatoes)

Biloxi Blues (watching it now which sparked the idea)
Get Shorty
Be Cool
The Gentlemen
Starship Troopers
Glory
Snatch
None. Most of what I do is a struggle to figure out which impulse I listen to so it becomes too well thought out to be spontaneous.

Exactly, although I really do enjoy Snatch and The Gentlemen

And there is just something about Biloxi Blues I have always liked
Snatch is in my Top 25, easy. I quote it all the time even if it's just answering the phone, "Bonjour."

I also repeat the dialogue from the car when Tyrone reversed into the van. I say it out loud, word-for-word in a British accent, just because.

Snatch is in my Top 25, easy. I quote it all the time even if it's just answering the phone, "Bonjour."

I also repeat the dialogue from the car when Tyrone reversed into the van. I say it out loud, word-for-word in a British accent, just because.
Anybody who randomly quotes Snatch is doing it right

I can't get over it being the future and they have no armor or anything but hand carried weapons lol

That's because the director actually intended to make a movie that made fun of the book Starship Troopers which was written by Robert Heinlein. So, he tried to make is absurd to show that he message in the book was wrong. Unfortunately for him, he actually just made a really fun movie that tended to make people agree with the point of the book. That point was more or less that you should serve your country and/or fellow humans before you deserve rights.

It's been awhile since I read the book, but IIRC, in the book, they basically wore mechanized, armoured space suits that allowed them to jump really long distances. Taurus is a big Heinlein fan IIRC, so he may recall the details better than me.

That's because the director actually intended to make a movie that made fun of the book Starship Troopers which was written by Robert Heinlein. So, he tried to make is absurd to show that he message in the book was wrong. Unfortunately for him, he actually just made a really fun movie that tended to make people agree with the point of the book. That point was more or less that you should serve your country and/or fellow humans before you deserve rights.

It's been awhile since I read the book, but IIRC, in the book, they basically wore mechanized, armoured space suits that allowed them to jump really long distances. Taurus is a big Heinlein fan IIRC, so he may recall the details better than me.
Yes, in fact, the equipment they have in the novel is highly sophisticated. Heinlein was very pro-military, and so is the book, which is very well written like nearly all of his works.

Paul Verhoven made a fool of himself with that schlock film. I call it Space: 90210. IMHO it couldn't have been any worse of a film. I'm a little surprised the Heinlein family didn't sue him over it, frankly. But Verhoven simply proved categorically he has no idea how to do satire (the hilarious commercials in Robocop must have been good luck on his part) since that what was he was trying to do with this turkey of a movie.

So let's just say that I am feeling REALLY good right now which probably explains me thinking about and wanting to see The Pirate Movie

For those that don't know, it's a musical from 1982 that is making fun of a musical called The Pirates of Penzance

Found it on YouTube!

I AM THE PIRATE KING!

Watching Slither on Amazon Prime Video

I had no idea it was written and directed by James Gunn...in fact it was his directorial debut

I mean it makes perfect sense...the movie is definitely in his wheelhouse

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom