Yo kfaulk... (1 Viewer)

TPS

Reaction score
If you caught some of the pundits discussing LSU in the post game, it would appear that some of them agreed that LSU has taken another step in their march toward becoming an elite program. I know you and I have discussed this at length during the season, and I specifically said a couple more near-term championships would be one of the ways they could accomplish that. Long term, I thought a tenured coach who built a sustained championship-calibre program could put them in with all-time teams. Congratulations to the Tigers, their fans and the state for this championship.

:9:

TPS

>>Two Crystal Footballs > One Crystal Football

I doubt anyone would argue that point MLU unless to say something like the only weaker BCS Champion than the 2007 Tigers would be the 2003 Tigers. I don't agree, but for argument sake, someone could potentially throw that out there.

But back to the topic, L.S.U. is on top of college football right now. This doesn't mean they are an "all time" great program IMHO. At the same time, it would be difficult to argue that 2 titles in the span of 5 seasons doesn't put them into the preimier category. They still haven't reached the Top 5 or 6 'all time' programs, but let them win another title or two or remain highly competitive and they're on their way. The caveat is the age of the beholder (clearly). And LSU, like FSU and Miami before them, is a school that is pushing its way to the front and center of attention. That begins to make the case.

TPS

So what do you get for reaching this "top 5-6" program level? Respect when You blow? Does it really matter?

>>So what do you get for reaching this "top 5-6" program level? Respect when You blow? Does it really matter?

You don't get "anything" per se except the acknowledgement and understanding of the knowledgable football fan that your program is a who's who and an all-time great program. I'd have to think long and hard if I was given a list of only 6 teams to choose from right now that define college football. This is from my experience which goes back to the late 60's. I'd probably say USC, Ohio State, Michigan, Alabama, Notre Dame and Penn State or Florida. You've got teams like Miami, Texas, Oklahoma, Nebraska, Tennessee and probably now L.S.U. right there in the argument. FWIW, in order to remain anti-homeristic, I'll keep Florida State out of the mix. We all know that what they accomplished between 1988 and 2000 will never be duplicated again.

TPS

So what do you get for reaching this "top 5-6" program level? Respect when You blow? Does it really matter?

I heard it's only slightly better than you might find in the average Cracker Jack box. So no, it doesn't really matter. Although, having a magnifying glass is kind of cool for burning ants. colon9colon

Very well put. I'll take being the best right now (and for the past 5 years) over being overrated and having excuses made for us when we are really past our glory days.

Thanks for the kind words Steve.

Again, I am not concerned with being considered "elite". I am concerned with winning championships and sustaining success. I still believe this whole notion of who is elite, based on past glories and tradition is extremely detrimental to crowning champions in college football with the process that's in place. It makes these "old powers" feel entitled to be champions when they clearly do not deserve consideration(USG for example, tOSU for another). And when the fans parrot the biases based on these past glories, and make cases for teams who really didn't deserve to be considered, it furthers the problem IMO. Don't pay attention to the helmets. Watch the games. Theres are a lot more good football being played by a lot more teams than there ever was and these teams shouldn't have to also overcome prejudices by media and fans because of what "was" to have a shot to be champion. That's just my opinion, of course.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom