Yo Sabine, honey... (1 Viewer)

>>Ahh, a guide on how to be a good spouse from a fellow divorcee. How sweet. I'm touched.

I wasn't trying to give you advice, sweetie ( :hihi: ). I just know that you are probably the most feminist minded regular EE poster and thought you'd appreciate the good old days. I spent my days as quite the modern spouse and have the support of my kids today because of it. I knew how to do laundry, change diapers, go to ballgames, cook, shop, pack lunches, clean and all that. I'm not advocating a return to the woman in the home but wondered if you thought maybe in a society with defined roles, the family structure would be a little stronger. Many conservatives feel this way. :shrug:

TPS

I wasn't trying to give you advice, sweetie ( :hihi: ). I just know that you are probably the most feminist minded regular EE poster and thought you'd appreciate the good old days. I spent my days as quite the modern spouse and have the support of my kids today because of it. I knew how to do laundry, change diapers, go to ballgames, cook, shop, pack lunches, clean and all that.

I NEED a "Good Wife", Valentine. :ezbill:

I'm not advocating a return to the woman in the home but wondered if you thought maybe in a society with defined roles, the family structure would be a little stronger. Many conservatives feel this way. :shrug:

TPS
No, especially when the roles are defined by society based on gender. However, when two decide to pair up, they are likely to improve their chances of having a strong successful family if the burdens of their existence are divvied up in a way that considers each partner's strengths, interests, temperaments, etc... There's no one-size-fits all, and there is no entity (government, religion, party) better able to decide how families should be framed than the two individuals from which it grows.

Well, that's the short answer. The even shorter answer is **** NO! Those "defined roles" ticked off a lot of women and deprived all of us of the contributions they would have made otherwise.

Last edited:
I NEED a "Good Wife", Valentine. :ezbill:

No, especially when the roles are defined by society based on gender. However, when two decide to pair up, they are likely to improve their chances of having a strong successful family if the burdens of their existence are divvied up in a way that considers each partner's strengths, interests, temperaments, etc... There's no one-size-fits all, and there is no entity (government, religion, party) better able to decide how families should be framed than the two individuals from which it grows.

Well, that's the short answer. The even shorter answer is **** NO! Those "defined roles" ticked off a lot of women and deprived all of us of the contributions they would have made otherwise.

Whatever. Where's my turkey potpie?:angryrazz:

Honestly though, I do find it rather disturbing how even gender separates us in the household. Sure, each has their own strengths and weaknesses, but you gotta do what you gotta do. Social rules don't apply in the confines of your house. You set your own rules and those rules should be balanced. If you have imbalance, then how is it to survive and grow?

turkey potpie!

as the third son of a fiercely independent mother, who never fit into the prescribed societal role for moms, I find it interesting how most couple I run across seem to still go towards the predefined roles these days, despite massive strides for career women, and stay at hoem dads. It seems to go across most classes too, poor to rich. I am da chief cook and bottle washer as my grandfather used to call it, and ive always told my wife, I dont care what you do in life, and encourage you to do and be whatever ya wish, as long as the bills are payed and you come home to me (with lots of cash)

Of course, my ideal situation would be to be a kept man, and a filthy rich wife, but somehow wifey doesn't agree? :covri::shrug:

jefferson01.jpg

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom