You’re Home Sick From School… (1 Viewer)

I had VHS tapes of the full Adult Swim lineup (from when it was originally a two hour block once a week) so I’d always put one of those in followed by Ferris Beuller.

The Price is Right was my sick jam.

I remember watching some of the soaps, not GH though. I think it was the Young and the Restless. The one with Victor.
Yep then flip channels til All my Children with Hope and the dude with eye Patch.

Then nap and wake to either Hogan's Heros or Lost in Space on TBS or Gilligan's Island in afternoon.

But that blanket with that edge was the shirt. That edge always stayed cold and I'd run thru fingers or toes.

I remember watching some of the soaps, not GH though. I think it was the Young and the Restless. The one with Victor.

Same.

My family on my mom’s side (the ones who watched soaps) were only into the CBS soap operas for some reason.. my mom specifically loved Y&R, and when i was at my cousin’s house she liked Guiding Light a lot.. i also vaguely remember another big CBS soap in the early 80s, maybe Another World or Search for Tomorrow.. and very briefly , one called Capitol…. Looking back at it, it’s a little odd how most people chose one network for their ‘stories’, as my grandmother called the soap operas…. It’s kinda like how families in some cases choose Ford over Chevy, or Toyota over Honda for their cars, or how people choose Target over Walmart, or Jeopardy over Wheel.

All these puppies who had cable when they were sick kids - y’all don’t know the struggle
I could get some morning shows like Sesame Street and Capt Kangaroo and New Zoo Review
It then it was just game shows
Price and Deal but also Match Game, Pyramid, jokers wild, card sharks, Hollywood squares

All these puppies who had cable when they were sick kids - y’all don’t know the struggle
I could get some morning shows like Sesame Street and Capt Kangaroo and New Zoo Review
It then it was just game shows
Price and Deal but also Match Game, Pyramid, jokers wild, card sharks, Hollywood squares

We had a few times throughout my childhood where we had cable, but large swaths of years (most of my childhood) without it.. or, being a latchkey kid from divorced parents, usually i lived with mom and we didnt have cable, but id go to my dad’s every other weekend and he had cable…. So i guess what im saying is ive lived with cable, and ive lived with it- i preferred living with it lol…. The shows I referenced in my OP - TPIR, Diff’rent Strokes, Alice, etc were usually on the local NOLA affiliates, mostly on CBS late mornings on weekdays, or in the case of Scooby Doo i wanna say it was on Channel 26 when Ch 26 was still a UHF(?) channel, with syndication reruns only for the most part.. a little harder to get good reception on the rabbit ears compared to Channels 4. 6 and 8…. At the times when we had cable and i was home sick, i can remember liking shows on the USA Network like ‘Rocky Road’, where these kids ran an ice cream shop.. seemed like an early precursor to Saved by the Bell or somehting…. And my first little girlfriend in the 7th grade LOVED this show on basic cable called ‘Madam’s Place’ with that ugly puppet Madam.

I also attribute my disdain for MTV and music videos to the fact that i didnt have MTV throughtout most of my childhood, and to this day i enjoy hearing songs and forming my own visuals in my head instead of it being force fed to me through the form of a video.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom