You’re Home Sick From School… (1 Viewer)

Same.

My family on my mom’s side (the ones who watched soaps) were only into the CBS soap operas for some reason.. my mom specifically loved Y&R, and when i was at my cousin’s house she liked Guiding Light a lot.. i also vaguely remember another big CBS soap in the early 80s, maybe Another World or Search for Tomorrow.. and very briefly , one called Capitol…. Looking back at it, it’s a little odd how most people chose one network for their ‘stories’, as my grandmother called the soap operas…. It’s kinda like how families in some cases choose Ford over Chevy, or Toyota over Honda for their cars, or how people choose Target over Walmart, or Jeopardy over Wheel.

Totally

I never missed school.

Sick is for the weak.

I vividly remember being in the 6th grade at Catholic school and we were at this awards ceremony- Best Behaved, Most Helpful, Physical Fitness aaward, stuff like that.. and then they got to the Perfect Attendance award, made a big fuss about how this kid hadnt missed ONE single day of school from Kindergarten thru the 6th grade, everyone applauded like crazy, the principal said ‘Come on up!’ And -you guessed it- he was absent from school that day……. That’s a true story…. And im pretty sure it’s the day i learned the definition of the word ‘irony.’

Every time I was absent from school for being sick, which was rare because I thought my mom was an ex-prison camp guard, the movie Coal Miner's Daughter was always on. So, I'd watch that.

I vividly remember being in the 6th grade at Catholic school and we were at this awards ceremony- Best Behaved, Most Helpful, Physical Fitness aaward, stuff like that.. and then they got to the Perfect Attendance award, made a big fuss about how this kid hadnt missed ONE single day of school from Kindergarten thru the 6th grade, everyone applauded like crazy, the principal said ‘Come on up!’ And -you guessed it- he was absent from school that day……. That’s a true story…. And im pretty sure it’s the day i learned the definition of the word ‘irony.’
I actually had perfect attendance in Jr. High School. Missed very few days in High School. But it wasn't for a lack of trying. My mother was a hard azz. "You're going to school."

If I missed the bus I had to walk to school. A little over 2 miles. Seemed very long as a 15 year old.

True story: I was home sick when the Challenger exploded. As I recall I wasn’t even that sick, just managed to get my
mom to let me stay home.

Of course I was watching tv and the disaster came on and I took it all in. But for those of us who were school age at that time, there’s this shared memory of having class interrupted and teachers crying and stuff (in particular because that mission had the civilian teacher on it).

I didn’t participate in that shared experience because I was home somewhat feigning illness. It was still a big deal for me but I wasn’t at school like everyone else.

I don't know if I ever stayed home sick with my Mom. The closest that I came was around '77-78. My Mom was driving me to school. We lived in a house that was too inconvenient for the bus and too far to walk. She drove an old, two-door, pile of junk that had been t-boned on the passenger side. The door didn't open or close. Or so we thought.

My Mom made a hard left and the door opened. This was back in the day of slick, plastic, bench seats. Back then, seat belts were for losers. I slid out and caught the armrest of the door to keep from rolling into traffic. By the time she stopped, I was pretty beat up. She took me home and I watched Popeye on an old black and white tv until I passed out.

True story: I was home sick when the Challenger exploded. As I recall I wasn’t even that sick, just managed to get my
mom to let me stay home.

Of course I was watching tv and the disaster came on and I took it all in. But for those of us who were school age at that time, there’s this shared memory of having class interrupted and teachers crying and stuff (in particular because that mission had the civilian teacher on it).

I didn’t participate in that shared experience because I was home somewhat feigning illness. It was still a big deal for me but I wasn’t at school like everyone else.

I was walking down the hall between classes when i saw my friend Tom Ford walking the opposite way and as he passed, he said ‘The Challenger exploded!’.. at first i was like ‘Wait, what?’…. i cant exactly remember the events after that; i dont think we had TV’s in every classroom, so i want to say we all gathered in the library to watch the coverage together and try to process it, but i cant say for sure.. What i DO remember very well is that, a day or two later, they had each class gather in the chapel to share thoughts and prayers (back then it wasnt quite as much of a cliche) on the Challenger astronauts and the events.. the teacher told us to write down what we wanted to say, then go up in front of the class and read what we wrote.. when it was my turn, i got up in front , and read out loud what I’d written on my little slip of paper: “We will miss the Challenger astronauts; I hope they all rest in pieces“… It got a huge laugh from all my classmates, but- Spoiler Alert- NOT from my teacher.. Hey, what can i say- that was a pretty good joke for a 12 year old to have written.. though *maybe* not in the best taste.

I don't know if I ever stayed home sick with my Mom. The closest that I came was around '77-78. My Mom was driving me to school. We lived in a house that was too inconvenient for the bus and too far to walk. She drove an old, two-door, pile of junk that had been t-boned on the passenger side. The door didn't open or close. Or so we thought.

My Mom made a hard left and the door opened. This was back in the day of slick, plastic, bench seats. Back then, seat belts were for losers. I slid out and caught the armrest of the door to keep from rolling into traffic. By the time she stopped, I was pretty beat up. She took me home and I watched Popeye on an old black and white tv until I passed out.

#legit

All these puppies who had cable when they were sick kids - y’all don’t know the struggle
I could get some morning shows like Sesame Street and Capt Kangaroo and New Zoo Review
It then it was just game shows
Price and Deal but also Match Game, Pyramid, jokers wild, card sharks, Hollywood squares
Then in the afternoon it was Mr. Rogers and Gilligan, with the dark realization that your sick day was approaching its end.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom