You are a top QB do you want to go early or late in the first draft round? (1 Viewer)

Ihartsaints

Very Banned
Reaction score
There was endless chatter about Burrow holding out and now Trevor Lawrence is hinting about staying in college for his senior year. (thinking the jets would pick first)

Ignoring the actual draft order this year. In general, if you were a top QB prospect would you want to get picked first, top ten, or somewhere else in the first round. Teams in the basement usually have bigger issues than just a new QB but by the same token teams late in the round probably already have a serviceable starter and you may wait longer to play.

I'm thinking mid-round or a few picks earlier is the sweet spot.

Anyone recall a player who sandbagged the Combine or feined an injury to push their pick later to avoid a team they didn't like?

Depends. Ideally go in the top 10 with a good team trading up to get me like with Pat Mahomes. Get the money plus a good situation.

The higher you are drafted the better the pay

That is true

#1 burrow $12mill/year plus $23mil signing
#10 $5mil/yr plus $12mil signing
# 32 $2.7mill/yr plus $5.4mil signing

But after you factor in the postseason and SB odds of a bottom-dwelling team. Over a career, a better team might still make you more.

LATE, all day! What QB wants to get his head taken off as a rookie, IF he should go to one of the REAL poopholes of a team/organization?

Mahomes was one of the very fortunate ones.

There was endless chatter about Burrow holding out and now Trevor Lawrence is hinting about staying in college for his senior year. (thinking the jets would pick first)

Ignoring the actual draft order this year. In general, if you were a top QB prospect would you want to get picked first, top ten, or somewhere else in the first round. Teams in the basement usually have bigger issues than just a new QB but by the same token teams late in the round probably already have a serviceable starter and you may wait longer to play.

Anyone recall a player who sandbagged the Combine or feined an injury to push their pick later to avoid a team they didn't like?
Lawrence already announced that he’s entering the draft.

what i would not do is play another year of college ball and risk my pro career

I'd want to go to a team that best helps me get a second contract. That's where the real money is. A late first is still life changing. I'll take that then hope to set up a long term future. That's theoretical though, in reality, I don't think I would hold out on a team or anything. Imagine I'd feel blessed to be there. I wouldn't go back to college for sure.

There’s so many factors that go into it. I think ideally a QB would want to be drafted by a team with a strong offensive roster and/or a respectable offensive mind running the offense.

There’s always a bit of a strange dynamic where the top draft eligible QBs have heightened confidence enough to believe they can turn around a terrible offense, and there’s a pretty sizable burden that usually lays on the QBs for a high drafting team. So sometimes that franchise QB becomes “the answer to all the problems” and young guys coming into the league buy their hype.

I know Jerry Rice did on his 40. Said he didn't want to go to a bad team, this was pre-free agency.

Am I Ryan Leaf or am I Peyton Manning? There are few guaranteed success stories at that position so that contract may be the biggest one you see. I think you want to go early regardless.

Honestly early. Get paid play good enough to decide where you want to go, kinda end up like Jamies and Walk into a situation where you can either become a better player or satisfy your contract and move on life is too short to not enjoy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom