You can actually put a good hit on the quarterback without the flag in the AAF. (1 Viewer)

And no I don't support 2 hand touch or flag.
Just anticipating the responses.

It's the roughing the passer calls where a defensive players hits a qb in the face mask or on his helmet with his hand that drives me crazy. I believe in calling the game the same for all players, not one rule for how you can tackle a qb and different rules on how you can tackle and hit everybody else.

Great Game flow. . I am watching it recorded. They play through commercials like golf too. The play clock is 35 seconds so the plays come quick. Good camera work and great commentary . .. much better than Monday night football for sure. Tiki Barber and Trent Green on the San Antonio vs. San Diego game.

I guess that the teams have only been practicing for a few weeks but I have the say the QB play was pretty bad from what I saw. I hope that the league finds a way to continue to develop as I think that it could be a great alternative league. However, as the USFL has shown it will be a hard row to hoe to keep any talent. Between the NFL and CFL who offer real money to anyone who shows talent it will be difficult for these programs to sustain growth without star talent IMO. The loss of talent was the one of the bigger reasons why the USFL wasn't' able to sustain any serious fanbase.

As long as the big hits are allowed below the neck area, I'm down with it. A hand swatting the helmet is pretty much harmless though. I'd only penalize helmet to helmet hits and clothesline type hits as well as horse collar tackles. Reasonable safety measures that allow for big hits works for me.

I attempted to watch the Atlanta/Orlando game but gave up after the defensive penalty for rushing too many guys. The play is extremely low quality and that defensive rule is about as dumb as it gets (do they need to count to 5 Mississippi before blitzing as well?). When they threw the flag, I couldn't stop laughing until I just turned the channel.

Somebody accidentally deleted my recording of the Orlando game, so no thoughts on that one. But watching the San Antonio/San Diego game, I have a few thoughts.

Mekale McKay and Greg Ward are the standout skill position players. They both play for San Antonio. In particular I was impressed with the hands, toughness, body control, and field awareness of Ward, a converted QB. Those are all things that I wouldn't expect to see from someone raw as a receiver, but it's clear he's working extra hard to be the friend of a QB that he always wanted in college. If there was one guy in this game that I would say I want the Saints to take a look at, it is Ward, with McKay second.

Offensive line play is just not there. There's no consistency, especially in the pass game. There were so many sacks. It makes sense, because this is the unit in football that requires the most cohesion. The disruption makes it tough to look at guys. Frankly the best way I can describe the game is, it feels like preseason, both in terms of the caliber of players and the way the game flows with lower scores. The lack of game film on any of these teams and what they like to do undoubtedly made preparation tough.

Also loved the much shorter commercial breaks. Kept the game shorter and didn't feel all drawn out like other football does. They would often show footage of the field during those short breaks, which the only downside to me is, it's hard to want to go to the bathroom (good for advertisers though)!

Mike Martz is still Mike Martz. Called lots of plays that didn't have a receiver short, which seemed dumb given that offensive line play takes time to work. Got his QB killed. But he's going to run his system. (Also, I got tired of seeing his pregnant-looking belly when he moved. That was gross.)

Love the live audio between players and coaches. Could hear play calls and listen to them discuss what they were doing and why. It was great. They do need to get the headsets worked out, as those seemed to fail a lot, leading to play stoppages. They even had the audio for the replay official, and he new immediately what he was doing. Very decisive and prompt on the call, and most importantly, correct.

Jayrone Elliott had a couple of nice run stuffs for San Antonio, but was called for one penalty as well. Did not see him get as much pressure as other guys.

I attempted to watch the Atlanta/Orlando game but gave up after the defensive penalty for rushing too many guys. The play is extremely low quality and that defensive rule is about as dumb as it gets (do they need to count to 5 Mississippi before blitzing as well?). When they threw the flag, I couldn't stop laughing until I just turned the channel.
I understand why; with as little time as these offensive lines have together (and offensive lines need more time than any other unit), if they were allowed to bring even more pressure, the games would become even more disjointed and unwatchable.

I think the quality of play will improve as the season goes along, as players on the offensive line become more cohesive, and coaches are better able to put together game plans from game film.

I can't really get behind the allowed helmet to helmet hits.
Some say it's old school football.
Some say they know what they signed up for.
Long term effects of multiple concussions are horrific.
Suicide, paraplegic after football. Wouldn't wish that on anyone no matter what they choose. Or how enjoyable it makes the game.
i agree. i do the like the relaxation of flagging qb hits though.

Please please bring a team to the Gulf Coast and let’s call it the Voodoo. Cmon!

no kidding. the quality of talent isn’t bad, since the players are fairly equal. but, it is refreshing to see a league much closer to “old school” football. i would 100% support a team here in the aaf, and this is after one game. also, i’m so sick of the nfl, i welcome anything at this point.

I can't really get behind the allowed helmet to helmet hits.
Some say it's old school football.
Some say they know what they signed up for.
Long term effects of multiple concussions are horrific.
Suicide, paraplegic after football. Wouldn't wish that on anyone no matter what they choose. Or how enjoyable it makes the game.

Great post thx. When we are in our 40s we know football is a brutal sport. 20 to 25 year old kids with dreams of playing in the NFL, are blind to the long term damage

You can slam a QB with both hands right into his facemask in the NFL w/out drawing a flag, so long as you’re the Rams and the league wants to ignite your disinterested fan base by getting you to the SuperBowl.

...if you’re the Chiefs playing against Tom Brady though, a defenders arm hitting the QB across the chest is cause for a 15yd penalty.

SMH ?‍♂️

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom