You can jump over the line? (1 Viewer)

We actually got flagged for this in one game earlier this year. It was called leverage and our guys foot drug across the back of their center.

This doesn't surprise me that a special teams play would be the one that kills us. . . . .but yet the same coach is retained.

Just watched the Cardinals FG to win it, the DT pushed the snapper down too.

So is this just how it's done in the NFL now?

Yep, Blandino says A-ok.

NFL officiating VP agrees with calls at end of Broncos-Saints game - New Orleans Saints Blog- ESPN

Here's the quote if you are anti-clicking espn.

"He's going to get his hands up on top of the snapper and push him toward the ground. That's legal," Blandino said. "Open-hand push, legal. If there was a grab and a pull, that would be defensive holding. This is a similar concept as an offensive lineman blocking a defensive player. If he can get up on top of that defensive player and push him toward the ground, it's legal, versus grabbing and pulling him."

I think they reconsider, but that's how it is for at least the rest of the season.

Really? An incompetent head of officiating coming to the aid of an incompetent crew? Surprising!

The problem is that the technique he's describing is not going to be able to be officiated. We grouse about holding on every offensive play, this is going to be way, way worse especially since it's working. Arians' had it right, it's a non-competitive maneuver. It's a loophole and will be corrected imo.

Our snapper was actually pulled forward, that to me was an illegal play.

I don't see any way this gets officiated even close to correctly. Open hand, pulling forward, so, so open to terrible implementation. I honestly hope we get a few more of these to force the issue. They can't be as muddled, confused and inept as they've been with the catch rule can they?

I wonder if the snapper can throw his legs up to trip the oncoming jumper?

Also, does anyone think defenses are more willing to try this since the ball is so far from the endzone that the kicking team really has very little chance of running the ball in? Before the ball was moved back, if a team tried this, the holder could pull the ball away and attempt to score 2 points. Also, the trajectory of the kick used to be almost straight up, but now has to be slightly lower, which also makes this technique more effective. In any event, this technique would still work for field goals, particularly if it is 4th and long.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom