You can no longer purchase Adobe Photoshop! (1 Viewer)

*_deuce_*

Keeping the Faith
Reaction score
Adobe is the latest in a line of companies to move to a subscription only model. If you can’t purchase it how will you be able to get it? Well you will have to pay a monthly subscription to have access to the entire Adobe Creative Cloud or individual programs. (You will still be able to purchase Adobe Lightroom, at least for now)

Full Article

Guess Adobe got tired of people cracking their programs.:idunno:

It's actually pretty smart, and I think good for both sides. If you really use CS all the time as a tool you probably come out about the same with buying upgrades all the time. If you have a one-off project/need you can actually use it. Dunno. I don't think Adobe is that healthy, but I actually think subs is the future for software in general. Sometimes it's a bad deal for me, but it makes more sense to me than repeated upgrade cycles.

I usually use GIMP now, so this particular one doesn't really matter to me. I can't remember the last time I used Lightroom or any of the rest of CS.

It's actually pretty smart, and I think good for both sides. If you really use CS all the time as a tool you probably come out about the same with buying upgrades all the time. If you have a one-off project/need you can actually use it. Dunno. I don't think Adobe is that healthy, but I actually think subs is the future for software in general. Sometimes it's a bad deal for me, but it makes more sense to me than repeated upgrade cycles.

I usually use GIMP now, so this particular one doesn't really matter to me. I can't remember the last time I used Lightroom or any of the rest of CS.

same with me. i don't even use illustrator anymore. this should benefit the opensources by hopefully getting more people involved.

Looks like I won't be upgrading for the forseeable future. I strongly dislike this move as well as Microsoft's pricing structure on the new Office. I usually upgrade every time a new version comes out, but not anymore. If they're trying to drive me away as a customer, they're doing a fantastic job. Time to start looking at alternative programs.

I am definitely anti subscription based. I had just bought CS6 and it is honestly a PITA software. Consistently getting error codes when opening the software. Never had that issue when I would pirate it.

I am definitely anti subscription based. I had just bought CS6 and it is honestly a PITA software. Consistently getting error codes when opening the software. Never had that issue when I would pirate it.

every release, especially since the cs series, has had a new learning curve over the last. i quit at cs4. adobe ruined macromedia (though i hated dreamweaver, i loved fireworks) and seems determined to kill off their own products.

See no reason to give up my CS5 & Lightroom.
Same here.I have CS and CS5 Extended both on my boxes and see no reason I would need to upgrade.Never have.I run all my plugins and actions on the older version of CS just because they run more efficiently than on CS5.
I think this is a real bad move on Adobe`s part.Some people just don`t wanna work from the cloud.
And then I would imagine it`s gonna create additional services and processes on the machine,probably have to login to an account(in the cloud),Authentication,blah blah blah.
To much red tape to go through to use a program that should be ran local.:idunno:

Some people just don`t wanna work from the cloud.
You do realize that you still download and update to local machine and execute from there, right? It's just a timed expiration version, either 30 days or you have up to 180 days disconnected with it working just fine if you have an annual sub.

The only cloud part is offering the storage online, the program is still installed on your machine. It's just a change to a timed license rather than a permanent one.

The reason it's good for software companies is it smooths out revenue. For home users permanent licenses are good you can upgrade when you feel like you need to. A lot of mid to large sized businesses though also benefit from the smoothing, which is why the decision has actually been well received. There's usually internal and external pressure to be using the latest for businesses. For CS, if a design company had 60 licenses they'd have to plan on having 40k or so to outlay every few years and go through an upgrade cycle instead of just budgeting for what it costs monthly to be licensed.

I dunno, there are things I like about both licensing systems, but I'm pretty sure with most stuff being delivered over the wire instead of on disk the subscription model will be the norm in the future.

Must not be doing this for there volume license copies, I just bought CS6 for our graphics art department last week and I am downloading InDesign right now.

They actually are still selling CS6 with a permanent license; there just won't be any new versions with a permanent license; all will be the sub after 6 which came out a while ago.

You do realize that you still download and update to local machine and execute from there, right? It's just a timed expiration version, either 30 days or you have up to 180 days disconnected with it working just fine if you have an annual sub.

The only cloud part is offering the storage online, the program is still installed on your machine. It's just a change to a timed license rather than a permanent one.

The reason it's good for software companies is it smooths out revenue. For home users permanent licenses are good you can upgrade when you feel like you need to. A lot of mid to large sized businesses though also benefit from the smoothing, which is why the decision has actually been well received. There's usually internal and external pressure to be using the latest for businesses. For CS, if a design company had 60 licenses they'd have to plan on having 40k or so to outlay every few years and go through an upgrade cycle instead of just budgeting for what it costs monthly to be licensed.

I dunno, there are things I like about both licensing systems, but I'm pretty sure with most stuff being delivered over the wire instead of on disk the subscription model will be the norm in the future.

Yeah, but this sucks for those of us that pirate it. I haven't paid for it in ten years and I'm just fine staying with 6.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom