You gotta have thick blood to be a Saints fan (1 Viewer)

timpoulos

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
2011 - San Francisco - Up 32-29 with under a minute. Vernon Davis

2017 - Minnesota Miracle - Stephon fricking Diggs

2018 - Rams No Call game - Say no more

2019 - Vikings playoff OT Loss - Offensive PI on Kyle Rudolph?

2020 - Tampa Bay playoff game (Dominated regular season; Jared Cook fumble)

2021 - San Fran vs Rams for Saints to get in, score in last minute

2022 - Sean Payton leaves; Minnesota loss in London off the crossbars; Last night vs Tampa

Getting really difficult to muster. I need a big win soon, lol

WHO DAT for life though, win or lose

2022 - Sean Payton leaves; Minnesota loss in London off the crossbars; Last night vs Tampa

And this is all under the best HC and QB we will have in our lifetimes.

Looking at that list I can see the 2018 Rams no call really did kill it for me. After 2018 those losses really never bothered me in a way they should have. I agree either thick skin or a dead soul 😂

yup - it's the nature of fandom for the most part
Bengals fans are probably feeling okish at this point, but went through the dark ages to get here
Pittsburgh is the only team i can think of that hasn't had a significant spell of dark times (after their initial walking in the wilderness before Noll) - and they had to have a r*pist as teh face of the franchise for a decade

fandom is a weird mix of character building and ethical compromise with sprinkles of euphoria every now and then

On the Flipside, We had some good times

2010 Garret Hartley Kick to the superbowl after a pass INT by Vikings

2010 Tracy Porter INT to seal the Deal

2015 Giants vs Saints 49 - 53 Game Brees Throws 7 TD's

2018 Brees Breaks QB record for most Yards vs WFT

2018 Michael Thomas Finds a Flip phone :oops: after making a house call vs Rams

2019 Michael Thomas Breaks WR record for most rec vs Panthers (I believe 3 QB's played that year)

2020 Alvin Kamara 6 Touchdown Special Cleats Game

On the Flipside, We had some good times

2010 Garret Hartley Kick to the superbowl after a pass INT by Vikings

2010 Tracy Porter INT to seal the Deal

2015 Giants vs Saints 49 - 53 Game Brees Throws 7 TD's

2018 Brees Breaks QB record for most Yards vs WFT

2018 Michael Thomas Finds a Flip phone :oops: after making a house call vs Rams

2019 Michael Thomas Breaks WR record for most rec vs Panthers (I believe 3 QB's played that year)

2020 Alvin Kamara 6 Touchdown Special Cleats Game
this is how you do it

yup - it's the nature of fandom for the most part
Bengals fans are probably feeling okish at this point, but went through the dark ages to get here
Pittsburgh is the only team i can think of that hasn't had a significant spell of dark times (after their initial walking in the wilderness before Noll) - and they had to have a r*pist as teh face of the franchise for a decade

fandom is a weird mix of character building and ethical compromise with sprinkles of euphoria every now and then
Even then, though, the Bengals have three Super Bowl appearances and each one was an absolute nut punch of a loss. And I know Burrow's awesome, but there's no guarantee they'll ever get back to the Super Bowl much less win it (Dan Marino never made it back after a 2nd season Super Bowl appearance, Brees & Rodgers only made one each). Mahomes and Josh Allen seem like they're not going anywhere either (I know Burrow's 3-0 against Mahomes but I doubt he stays undefeated thru his career).

I think you have to have thick blood to root for MOST teams. Bills? Vikings? Lions? Falcons? Panthers? Browns? Chargers? Jets? Titans? Texans? Lions? Jaguars? Cardinals? Dolphins? Raiders? Bears (any Bears fan under their mid-40s doesn't remember 85)? 49ers fans in their 20s and younger don't remember their glory days, but they remember their punt returner fumbling away the 2011 NFCCG in OT, Kaep not getting it in the endzone after 1st and goal vs the Ravens, Kaep throwing an endzone INT at the end of the 2013 NFCCG, blowing a 10 point 4Q lead in the Super Bowl, blowing a double digit 2nd half lead against the Rams in the NFCCG for Shanahan's only loss to the Rams as a head coach (I hate the 49ers but their past decade has been pretty brutal).

The nature of being a sports fan IS heartbreak. That's why sports is a good metaphor for life. There's joy, camaraderie, overcoming adversity, but at the end of the day...it's likely going to end in tears.

Even then, though, the Bengals have three Super Bowl appearances and each one was an absolute nut punch of a loss. And I know Burrow's awesome, but there's no guarantee they'll ever get back to the Super Bowl much less win it (Dan Marino never made it back after a 2nd season Super Bowl appearance, Brees & Rodgers only made one each). Mahomes and Josh Allen seem like they're not going anywhere either (I know Burrow's 3-0 against Mahomes but I doubt he stays undefeated thru his career).

I think you have to have thick blood to root for MOST teams. Bills? Vikings? Lions? Falcons? Panthers? Browns? Chargers? Jets? Titans? Texans? Lions? Jaguars? Cardinals? Dolphins? Raiders? Bears (any Bears fan under their mid-40s doesn't remember 85)? 49ers fans in their 20s and younger don't remember their glory days, but they remember their punt returner fumbling away the 2011 NFCCG in OT, Kaep not getting it in the endzone after 1st and goal vs the Ravens, Kaep throwing an endzone INT at the end of the 2013 NFCCG, blowing a 10 point 4Q lead in the Super Bowl, blowing a double digit 2nd half lead against the Rams in the NFCCG for Shanahan's only loss to the Rams as a head coach (I hate the 49ers but their past decade has been pretty brutal).

The nature of being a sports fan IS heartbreak. That's why sports is a good metaphor for life. There's joy, camaraderie, overcoming adversity, but at the end of the day...it's likely going to end in tears.
Well said

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom