You gotta have thick blood to be a Saints fan (2 Viewers)

Gather around young Saints fans and listen about the many times Joe Montana beat us….let old pappy longtime tell you some nightmares, I mean memories.

Last edited:
Gather around young Saints fans and listen about the many times Joe Montana beat us….let old pappy longtime tell you some nightmares, I mean memories.

"I remember watching the Saints lose every Sunday........AT A BAR ON A TV THAT WASN'T HD!! That's right! No Sunday Ticket at home! No clear picture! And we suffered through that miserable NFC West!"

I remember having to listen to most Saints home games on the radio because they were blacked out due to not being sold out. I would listen to WWL all week in the afternoon waiting to see if some business would step up to buy the last of the tickets before the deadline to see if the game would be televised.

I remember our 1987 playoff game, our first one, and us getting our butts kicked by the Vikings. I was 9 years old, crying on the stairs of our home, asking my parents why they didn't play better over the halftime break.

I wouldn't trade any of the memories from there to here. None. Bad drafts, bad coaches, 2005, nothing. 2009, 2011, 2018.... They are still my team.

We traded our potential future away for an LT. Ok. That just means we're either surprisingly good next year and draft in the middle of 2024, or we suck again and we pick high in 2024. They wont give away another high pick. Fine. I can be patient. I dont plan on dying next year anyway.

I'm just here wondering why you stopped at 2011. I can very clearly remember the 80s, 90s, and 2000 before SP got here.

This garbage season will do some of y'all some good. There are some youngsters that have zero idea how bad it was in Bum or Mora.
Help me out because I genuinely don't understand. Why do young fans need to suffer? I don't get that. Will that somehow make their fandom more? Like are they not real fans until they've suffered through some crappy seasons? These are legit questions, no shade implied.

I remember our 1987 playoff game, our first one, and us getting our butts kicked by the Vikings. I was 9 years old, crying on the stairs of our home, asking my parents why they didn't play better over the halftime break.

I wouldn't trade any of the memories from there to here. None. Bad drafts, bad coaches, 2005, nothing. 2009, 2011, 2018.... They are still my team.

We traded our potential future away for an LT. Ok. That just means we're either surprisingly good next year and draft in the middle of 2024, or we suck again and we pick high in 2024. They wont give away another high pick. Fine. I can be patient. I dont plan on dying next year anyway.
The one thing that I think everyone is glossing over is that this was a transition year.
There was hope that continuity would help the transition from a long term to a new regime, but it didn’t. That’s why the Steelers are the model franchise.

This isn’t out of the ordinary. This happens most of the time after you separate from a long term coach/QB. The Niners after Montana/Young, Campo and the Cowboys, the Giants after Parcells, the Broncos after Shanahan and Elway.

Help me out because I genuinely don't understand. Why do young fans need to suffer? I don't get that. Will that somehow make their fandom more? Like are they not real fans until they've suffered through some crappy seasons? These are legit questions, no shade implied.
I don’t get the obsession with the attachment to the Bad Ol’ Days.
The Broncos are on a terrible run, but no one in their fanbase brings up that younger fans need to know what the first seventeen playoff less seasons felt like.

Dude these last 2 years are nothing compared to pre Brees/Payton
Although they do have the same stench about them. The only real difference is the length of time. I’m in my late 50’s and I just hope we can get a respectable franchise back in my lifetime. It took us a loooong time between 1967 and 2006. Now I’m not saying I will or won’t live to be 100 years old or that I even want to but I hope it happens while I can still enjoy it.

Although they do have the same stench about them. The only real difference is the length of time. I’m in my late 50’s and I just hope we can get a respectable franchise back in my lifetime. It took us a loooong time between 1967 and 2006. Now I’m not saying I will or won’t live to be 100 years old or that I even want to but I hope it happens while I can still enjoy it.
You’re completely discounting the Mora years. He was the one that really built the franchise from the ground up. He may not have won a championship, but he did get a winning record after 10 seasons in the same division as Walsh and Montana.

I'm just here wondering why you stopped at 2011. I can very clearly remember the 80s, 90s, and 2000 before SP got here.

This garbage season will do some of y'all some good. There are some youngsters that have zero idea how bad it was in Bum or Mora.
I am not a youngster. I was here for Bum and Jim Mora. In fact yes i could have provided plenty more. I could have also provided the goal line stand against Pittsburgh right? Not gonna do me any good. We were relevant only in 1987, and up until Payton arrived, we had nothing, so i started there. You are correct, but this is 2022. We have a new standard in New Orleans.

You’re completely discounting the Mora years. He was the one that really built the franchise from the ground up. He may not have won a championship, but he did get a winning record after 10 seasons in the same division as Walsh and Montana.
No I totally agree with you on that. Mora was the first to make the Saints respectable but that faded fast under Haslett(sp). I know that we got our first playoff win under him but that was his high point. Now Aaron Brooks was a nice find and I would’ve loved to seen what he could’ve done under CSP. I think he could’ve been an elite player but he was just not used to the best of his abilities in my opinion.

Being a fan doesn’t mean you have to tolerate poor performance by players, coaches and staff

I truly believe that nothing in my life has been more of a roller coaster ride than being a Saints fan. The countless heartbreaking moments have really killed me over and over again. Even watching what happened on MNF, didn't even shock me anymore. Yes, it was painful to watch, but was my heart ready for any disappointing loss? No doubt about it.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom