You Gotta Help Me - Why Isn't Teddy Our Starting QB after Brees? (1 Viewer)

NFL teams don’t go by what Todd McShay says. Most of the players “falling” in the draft is really just the realization that NFL teams didn’t have them rated as high as the media did.
The media these days rely on profess scouts like Daniel Jeremiah, Charles Davis, Mike Mayock, Rob Rang and Gil Brandt.

Ironically, it was not a matter of talent that caused Bridgewater to fall from #1 overall but because they question his "skinny" frame.

I remember it vividly.

The guy was lights out and would throw dimes on a rope to Davante Parker that would leave you breathless

Swimmer...its very simple.....

We know what Brees or Teddy can do....

We want to see what Taysom Hill can do.....

then we know...

I can get back to you right now. Every time Taysom is on the field, he gets hit/hits someone.

Go look at that draft.

Derrek Carr is the best QB drafted that year.
Carr also had Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree to throw to in Oakland.

All I remember Bridgewater having in Minnesota was Stephon Diggs and Jarius Wright.

Here is that tweet.

Skinny knees they said. Lol

I’ve actually heard from a few NFL people about Bridgewater having skinny knees. Fear it leaves him unprotected to hits there. @RobKramar
— Matt Miller (@nfldraftscout) April 27, 2014

Carr also had Amari Cooper and Michael Crabtree to throw to in Oakland.

All I remember Bridgewater having in Minnesota was Stephon Diggs and Jarius Wright.
What's wrong with Stephon Diggs and Jarius Wright?

You forgot Mike Wallace and Adam Thielen.
Wallace's numbers went down considerably in 2015.
Adam Thielen flourished the next year (2016) with Bradford throwing the ball.

Here is that tweet.

Skinny knees they said. Lol
Ironic, isn't it?

What's wrong with Stephon Diggs and Jarius Wright?

You forgot Mike Wallace and Adam Thielen.
Wallace's numbers went down considerably in 2015.
Adam Thielen flourished the next year (2016) with Bradford throwing the ball.

Ironic, isn't it?
Where is Jarius Wright now?

Is Diggs anything close to Amari Copper who stands to be the #1 free agent wr this year on the market?

Wallace was also at the end of his rope and even at his best was generally a glorified Robert Meacham.

What you are conveniently leaving out about Thielen is the fact that he was cut in 2013, and failed to post more than 200 yards from 2014-2015.

He was clearly a late bloomer like Lance Moore or Meachem. Even Willie Snead was cut once before his breakout season.

Devery Henderson was regarded largely as a bust before Brees arrived because of his reputation for dropping the ball.

Where is Jarius Wright now?
Carolina.

Is Diggs anything close to Amari Copper who stands to be the #1 free agent wr this year on the market?
I'd say so.

Wallace was also at the end of his rope and even at his best was generally a glorified Robert Meacham.
Still, if you look at the stat sheet, you can see the significant dent in the 2015 numbers.

What you are conveniently leaving out about Thielen is the fact that he was cut in 2013, and failed to post more than 200 yards from 2014-2015.
I am not leaving anything out. And actually, that's the point I made about Thielen. When TB was throwing the ball, Thielen was a non-factor. Once Bradford/Keenum were throwing the ball, he exploded.

He was clearly a late bloomer like Lance Moore or Meachem.
Or maybe it was the QB throwing the ball.

Devery Henderson was regarded largely as a bust before Brees arrived because of his reputation for dropping the ball.
Advice: don't continue to make the point of the person you are arguing with.

TB is not guaranteed ever again to have the kind of momentum going into free agency that he has right now. It's his time and age to cash in on that. He's at that sweet spot between youth and proven, and has said, himself, that he'll make this decision with smart not heart -- to me that says money and starter opportunity. With Brees on roster for another year and, clearly, this is where we are heading, the money just wouldn't seem to be right. I can't imagine TB would stay for anything less than a doubling of his salary, and I doubt the Saints tie up that much money on one position group. Even if he is willing to sit behind Brees for one more year, he could end up next season in this same situation, a year older, albeit a few million more richer. With the number of qbs on the move this off-season, I think he'll find another opportunity.

On another note -- Hill's injury history is quite the concern for some -- his style of play makes that difficult to put to rest. Is there any concern still with Bridgewater's leg? He doesn't take the physical risks of a Hill, but I wonder if teams will still worry whether he can make it a full season given the severity and nature of his injury.

Carolina.

I'd say so.

Still, if you look at the stat sheet, you can see the significant dent in the 2015 numbers.

I am not leaving anything out. And actually, that's the point I made about Thielen. When TB was throwing the ball, Thielen was a non-factor. Once Bradford/Keenum were throwing the ball, he exploded.

Or maybe it was the QB throwing the ball.

Advice: don't continue to make the point of the person you are arguing with.
Im not going to continue to debate this stupidity.

Teddy Bridgewater was basically 5-0 with a 100 qb rating last year (every int he threw was tipped) and people are seriously planning to jettison him for a guy who could never stay healthy for an entire year even as a college qb.

That's how nonsensical this entire thing is.
Bridgewater has nothing to prove at this point and if he does it's far less than Hill does.

At least Bridgewater has started an actual NFL game and won and stayed healthy in college.

I love CSP, (my youngest is named Payton Andrew) so I am not trying to shirt on Coach's head with what I am about to say...

CSP knows T.Bridge can win games under center with the correct "conservative" game plan. But... CSP absolutely does not want to run that game plan. CSP is an aggressive coach and so is his game planning strategy. CSP wants to prove he is the smartest coach in the building (sometimes to his detriment). I, myself like that in coach (except when it bites him in the backside).

CSP does not want to run the type of offense that would put T.Bridge in the best position to succeed.

I believe that this post nails it. When TB was leading the Saints, it (to me) did not feel like THE SAINTS. Even when we were winning, grinding teams down in the correct NFL way, it did not feel like a Saints victory. It might have been the correct way to play football, but I don't think it is CSP's way of playing football. He gets a lot of criticism for that, and probably justified, but I am pretty sure that any of us armchair coaches could not step into his shoes and post so many consecutive winning seasons.

Im not going to continue to debate this stupidity.
It's not a debate. I'm killing you :hihi:

Teddy Bridgewater was basically 5-0
The Saints were 5-0, against .500 or under teams. I already spelled it out here:
https://saintsreport.com/threads/se...n-bridgewater-speculation.425180/post-7942821

a guy who could never stay healthy for an entire year even as a college qb.
Hasn't gotten hurt in the NFL, as far as I know.

Bridgewater has nothing to prove at this point
Yes, he does.

At least Bridgewater has started an actual NFL game
good for him. No one gets to start an NFL game until they do.

and won and stayed healthy in college.
He's stayed healthy in the NFL, unlike Bridgewater.

Last edited:
I agree 100% but it all comes down to the $$. Honestly I believe that if Brees were to hang it up SP and Loomis would keep Teddy and he'd be the starter, but we all know Brees is coming back.
Im in the camp That the future is now.

I’ll still root for Drew but the smart thing is to pass the torch to Teddy and move ahead.

We went all in and gave it everything to get Brees another ring. It didn’t happen, and one factor in it all is that Drew’s game is more limited now, though in the things he can still do he remains elite.

Another factor is that Payton isn’t likely going to stick to the formula that maximizes wins with a more limited precision passing QB that isn’t going to stretch the field or get outside the pocket.

Teddy isn’t Mahomes but he isn’t as limited physically as Drew and from what you saw this year Payton is likely to coach smarter around the areas where Teddy isn’telite like Drew.

There are hints that if Drew comes back then Payton’s answer to Drew’s limitations will be to increase Hill’s snap counts and I guess use him on the Deep throws or roll outs. But the risk with that is also predictability. Plus, can Hill play his style at a greater snap count?

In college, the way he plays, he got hurt every season, so will he have to play different if he plays more?

If you keep Hill with the idea of mixing him in to compensate where Drew is declining, then you can’t afford Teddy. And if you let Teddy go and Hill gets hurt or doesn’t pan out to starter quality, then you left with a hole at QB when Drew does hang it up.

Last edited:
I believe that this post nails it. When TB was leading the Saints, it (to me) did not feel like THE SAINTS. Even when we were winning, grinding teams down in the correct NFL way, it did not feel like a Saints victory. It might have been the correct way to play football, but I don't think it is CSP's way of playing football. He gets a lot of criticism for that, and probably justified, but I am pretty sure that any of us armchair coaches could not step into his shoes and post so many consecutive winning seasons.
You could look at the classic “Saints” way of offense forward football over the years and argue its doesn’t win championships or big games, is just a finesse tease that runs up stats. 2009 was a near thing and in reality the critical differences were we got pretty much every call and at key times the defense came up with game changing turnovers.

Last edited:

It felt like it was 1988.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom