You Gotta Help Me - Why Isn't Teddy Our Starting QB after Brees? (1 Viewer)

I see 4 scenarios. And I think all 4 have about the same probability.

Drew signs 1 year deal
Taysom signs tender
Saints draft QB or sign cheap vet (Colt McCoy cheap)
Saints lose a few players

Drew signs 1 year deal
Taysom signs tender
Teddy re-signs
Saints lose a lot of key players this year and next

Drew retires
Saints sign Teddy to backloaded contract
Taysom signs tender

Drew retires
Taysom signs tender
Saints draft QB AND sign cheap vet (Colt McCoy cheap)
Saints “might” not lose any key players this year or next

There's no way if Drew retires that they let Teddy go, and only reason the contract would be back loaded is because we owe Drew 20 mil dead money if he walks away.

I see 4 scenarios. And I think all 4 have about the same probability.

Drew signs 1 year deal
Taysom signs tender

Drew signs 1 year deal
Taysom signs tender
Teddy re-signs
Saints lose a lot of key players this year and next

Drew retires
Saints sign Teddy to backloaded contract
Taysom signs tender

Drew retires
Taysom signs tender
Saints draft QB AND sign cheap vet (Colt McCoy cheap)
Saints “might” not lose any key players this year or next

I feel like Payton is ready to move on to a QB who can hurt you with his arm and his legs. Hence, his focus on Mahomes and Jackson in 17/18.

Teddy did well filling in for Drew. But unless Drew comes back and it’s a Drew/Taysom combo, I see Payton moving to a QB who can run a bit better than Teddy can at this point in his career (post-injury).

I love Teddy and hope he makes a huge pile of $. I just don’t think he’s enough of a threat with his legs (not to mention concerns over re-injury) for what Payton seems to want to move to.

We shall see. I know if he’s the 3rd option in a year he’ll be joining another team.
I seriously doubt any NFL team is going to give him a shot as the starter, but then again Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, etc happened so who knows? The Saints seem to be where he wants to be and he seems to enjoy how he is used. Maybe he wants to chase a paycheck. If someone wants to hand over that kind of money, I can't be mad at him but IMO if he's not going to be playing the QB position for the Saints, he's probably not going to be playing the QB position at all. Nothing about this guy has shown that he's capable of being a starting QB. If he leaves, the Saints will just find another Uber athletic QB to fill the role as 3rd string QB and life will go on.

Why don't you ask Pete?

Coach Pete agrees with most of the others on the board, "Great team leader, players play all out for him, won't lose many games on his own but won't win many games late in the 4th quarter mainly on his passing, quality starter on a run 1st team, but not the QB Coach Payton wants to run his offense ."

I feel like Payton is ready to move on to a QB who can hurt you with his arm and his legs. Hence, his focus on Mahomes and Jackson in 17/18.

Teddy did well filling in for Drew. But unless Drew comes back and it’s a Drew/Taysom combo, I see Payton moving to a QB who can run a bit better than Teddy can at this point in his career (post-injury).

I love Teddy and hope he makes a huge pile of $. I just don’t think he’s enough of a threat with his legs (not to mention concerns over re-injury) for what Payton seems to want to move to.

This ^. I think SP is enamored with a disruptive playmaking mobile QB. Brees has always required a top, expensive, mainly 1st round draft choices O-line. With a mobile QB, that quality and expensive type O-line is not mandatory so money can be spent on defense.

I don't know if I can take the defense blowing the game on a long pass or the refs screwing the team again. Im with you. Let Brees retire so they can get back to 7-9 and not losing in the playoffs
I don't know if I can take Brees Putting the Saints in the hole in the first half of games and then everyone talks about how he brought them back. Only for him to turn the ball over and the key situation to lose the game. So what's the different not making the playoffs or lose in the first round? I think lose in the first round with expectations of Super Bowl is more gut-wrenching.

I seriously doubt any NFL team is going to give him a shot as the starter, but then again Jamarcus Russell, Ryan Leaf, etc happened so who knows? The Saints seem to be where he wants to be and he seems to enjoy how he is used. Maybe he wants to chase a paycheck. If someone wants to hand over that kind of money, I can't be mad at him but IMO if he's not going to be playing the QB position for the Saints, he's probably not going to be playing the QB position at all. Nothing about this guy has shown that he's capable of being a starting QB. If he leaves, the Saints will just find another Uber athletic QB to fill the role as 3rd string QB and life will go on.

If you watched his interviews super bowl week it’s clear he wants to be a quarterback. I think he will be a full time quarterback and it’s going to be here. I think he’s going to be worked in more with Drew this year then he gets his shot in 2021. If not he will sign with a team that will take him as a qb. It could be as a starter or it could be just to compete for a starting job like what Chase Daniel left for. But he will have a primary position of quarterback in 2021. His UFA status will allow him to make that happen.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom