You Just Broke Your Child. Congratulations. (1 Viewer)

Optimus Prime

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Someone posted this here a long time ago.

Very good article and even though I don't have kids of my own, reading this took me back to my own childhood and some of the things that stay with you and effect you for a lifetime

A book I read long ago had a line it that said something along the lines of "Everything in this world, both good and bad, is a direct result of how fathers treat their children"

Obviously this would apply to mothers as well, but with father's day coming up wanted to post it.
=======================================================================================================================================================

Dads. Stop breaking your children. Please.

I feel a need to write this post after what I witnessed at Costco yesterday. Forgive me for another post written in desperation and anger. Please read all the way to the end. I know it’s long, but this is something that needs to be said. It’s something that needs to be heard. It’s something that needs to be shared.

As Noah and I stood in line to make a return, I watched as a little boy (he couldn’t have been older than six) looked up at his dad and asked very timidly if they could buy some ice cream when they were done. The father glared him down, and through clenched teeth, growled at the boy to “leave him alone and be quiet”. The boy quickly cowered to the wall where he stood motionless and hurt for some time.

The line slowly progressed and the child eventually shuffled back to his father as he quietly hummed a childish tune, seemingly having forgotten the anger his father had just shown. The father again turned and scolded the boy for making too much noise. The boy again shrunk back and cowered against the wall, wilted.

I was agitated. I was confused. How could this man not see what I see? How could this man not see what a beautiful spirit stood in his shadow? How could this man be so quick to stub out all happiness in his own boy? How could this man not cherish the only time he’ll ever have to be everything to this boy? To be the person that matters most to this boy?....................................

You Just Broke Your Child. Congratulations.

Hitting too close to home, man. I yell at my kids too much.

In fairness, they are absolutely totally insane. High-energy little boys that feed off each other's energy. It's like a perfect storm of chaos most days. I would say the majority of time I am yelling at them it is for legitimate reasons.

But there are other times I'm just annoyed and it's not really their fault, and it's not fair for me to expect them to act like adults when they're just not adults.

It's also not fair that both their parents work 50 and 60 hours a week and don't spend nearly enough time with them - and what time we do have to spend with them, we're usually dog tired and ill-tempered because of it.

Yeah, not sure what Flip means but that's just sad that parents feel such conversations have to be had. That's not commentary on parenting. Thats commentary on our country. It's like children having to practice active shooter drills. It shouldn't be a part of anyone's childhood. Active shooter drills sure weren't a part of mine. But we're getting off the topic with that video. Think we should leave that for another day and keep to the article. Thanks for posting. We all can use a reminder to be better caretakers of our future.

Yeah, not sure what Flip means but that's just sad that parents feel such conversations have to be had. That's not commentary on parenting. Thats commentary on our country. It's like children having to practice active shooter drills. It shouldn't be a part of anyone's childhood. Active shooter drills sure weren't a part of mine. But we're getting off the topic with that video. Think we should leave that for another day and keep to the article. Thanks for posting. We all can use a reminder to be better caretakers of our future.
There was some good parenting in the video, but there was some awful parenting too.

Someone posted this here a long time ago.

Very good article and even though I don't have kids of my own, reading this took me back to my own childhood and some of the things that stay with you and effect you for a lifetime

A book I read long ago had a line it that said something along the lines of "Everything in this world, both good and bad, is a direct result of how fathers treat their children"

Obviously this would apply to mothers as well, but with father's day coming up wanted to post it.
=======================================================================================================================================================

Dads. Stop breaking your children. Please.

I feel a need to write this post after what I witnessed at Costco yesterday. Forgive me for another post written in desperation and anger. Please read all the way to the end. I know it’s long, but this is something that needs to be said. It’s something that needs to be heard. It’s something that needs to be shared.

As Noah and I stood in line to make a return, I watched as a little boy (he couldn’t have been older than six) looked up at his dad and asked very timidly if they could buy some ice cream when they were done. The father glared him down, and through clenched teeth, growled at the boy to “leave him alone and be quiet”. The boy quickly cowered to the wall where he stood motionless and hurt for some time.

The line slowly progressed and the child eventually shuffled back to his father as he quietly hummed a childish tune, seemingly having forgotten the anger his father had just shown. The father again turned and scolded the boy for making too much noise. The boy again shrunk back and cowered against the wall, wilted.

I was agitated. I was confused. How could this man not see what I see? How could this man not see what a beautiful spirit stood in his shadow? How could this man be so quick to stub out all happiness in his own boy? How could this man not cherish the only time he’ll ever have to be everything to this boy? To be the person that matters most to this boy?....................................

You Just Broke Your Child. Congratulations.

both sides of a coin
1) we should resist the urge to judge parents from one interaction in public (except things that are clearly verbal and/or physical abuse) - we just don't know what parent/child interactions led to the moment we witness
2) OTOH - fatherhood is poorly defined without a lot of good roles models whether in fiction or IRL - as a gender i don' t think we've done a great job of adapting to a post-ERA world - and many of us are operating with inadequate definitions of what being a man is so notions of being a father are going to be even more difficult to understand and model

Last edited:
Also, put the phones down. If you’re sitting with your kid and you’re on your phone while your kid has try to occupy himself or herself, you’re not actually there.

I’m not preaching here, I’m guilty too but after I observed my wife doing that a few times, I tried to be more aware of when I’m doing it. I’m committed to making those moments rare.

Also, put the phones down. If you’re sitting with your kid and you’re on your phone while your kid has try to occupy himself or herself, you’re not actually there.

I’m not preaching here, I’m guilty too but after I observed my wife doing that a few times, I tried to be more aware of when I’m doing it. I’m committed to making those moments rare.
ironically, i'm usually on parenting apps

what?
what was awful parenting. please refer to the time stamp and explain point out the awful parenting and explain why it was awful
Why would a parent teach their children to use air quotes to describe car parts? These kids are going to grow up and walk into Autozone one day and ask for a [airquote] battery [endairquote]. It's not right. Can you imagine these kids trying to work as a car salesperson? Airquotes everywhere.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom