You Just Broke Your Child. Congratulations. (1 Viewer)

I am actually running an experiment with my kids. With my first, I showered her with positive affirmation hoping to build her self confidence. I was always highly critical of the second, with a goal of building resiliency. Things are going pretty well with the first. I am looking forward to tracking the second down to see how things are going.

I am doing the same. The first we've doted over, lavished with praise, and kept well fed and taken care of. The second one will be dropped off on a desert island with a knife and a lighter when they turn one. Survival of the fittest. Can't wait to see the results.

Thank you too all the good father's. Unfortunately, I had to separate myself from my son because I was angry. Angry that I couldn't not be my dad and it made me furious with myself adding to the pain I was sharing.

This sums up fairly accurately my experience. It's sad that I've come to view my relationship with my father in terms of keeping it civil just so I get something from his estate to make up for all the anguish.

Yeah I'm broken but I think at least I broke the cycle for my son. Not optimal, but I'll take it.

I am doing the same. The first we've doted over, lavished with praise, and kept well fed and taken care of. The second one will be dropped off on a desert island with a knife and a lighter when they turn one. Survival of the fittest. Can't wait to see the results.

I've always made it a point to treat my kids as individuals and parent them as needed, and then a little some. Two kids in college, third just graduated HS and will be starting at Geoge Mason University. Fourth is a socially aware junior who wants to change the world. Lol.

My wife and I are looking forward to the last finishing up. But in a way, we will miss the parenting at home.

Might take a little long because my oldest is still living with us, lol.

So far so good, I think. :hihi:

I've always made it a point to treat my kids as individuals and parent them as needed, and then a little some. Two kids in college, third just graduated HS and will be starting at Geoge Mason University. Fourth is a socially aware junior who wants to change the world. Lol.

My wife and I are looking forward to the last finishing up. But in a way, we will miss the parenting at home.

Might take a little long because my oldest is still living with us, lol.

So far so good, I think. :hihi:

My son is 20 months old and I'm already sad about the day he leaves the house. Although that will mean I've done my job well.

We'll see if I feel that way in 16 or 17 years :hihi:.

My son is 20 months old and I'm already sad about the day he leaves the house. Although that will mean I've done my job well.

We'll see if I feel that way in 16 or 17 years :hihi:.

I have two girls...and for Fathers day yesterday they both made own cards. Both , without my knowledge, put together a lil scrap book of moments from old photos up til their current age with notes next to each one what it meant to them.

Congrats kiddos, you broker your father.

I cannot explain a father and daughter relationship. But what they gave me for fathers day will never be forgotten. It was absolutely beautiful.

Yeah, we joke about looking forward to being "empty nesters" - but recently i came home from work, both kids were out at friends homes...it was quiet. It was serene. It was eerie. My wife came in from backyard and said " its been like this for 4 hrs - and i dont like it"

I didnt either.

Some lady in line at Costco making assumptions and judgements on a situation knowing only part of the story. What if prior to going into the store the boy broke a window horsing around and the dad told him don't ask for a single thing? Same reason on a regular basis I see kids throwing screaming temper tantrums in a store or restaurant because their mothers are not emotionally equipped to control their children. Women...stop running your kids. Haha

Croce was more of a hard-arse!!!!

There are definitely things I would do differently as a parent but both of our boys are doing well (26 and 24). One of the things I stressed to them over the years is mutual trust and real communication. I wanted them to be able to talk to me about things, even things I may not be very happy about. I think we were fortunate with both of them as they still very much talk to me about things even now....

26 year old - UMD graduate with double major (Econ and Physch). Uber driven, has had 3 jobs since college, each one better than the last. Currently works as a data analyst at Nestle....

24 year old - Towson graduate with Sports Management degree, still looking for the first good job. Does Uber Eats for money and getting a lot of different certifications, hopefully he finds that job soon. Has had the same GF since college freshman year, she starts PA school soon....

In the end, I think we were fortunate, which I think is more a credit to the boys than to the parents....

I raised two boys. There were days when I’d get home from work to so much chaos. At times I’d lose my temper. Around that time I made the conscious decision to change the way I handled those moments. Keeping a cool head gave me better results and it all lowered my blood pressure to a good place. 😎

I have been stressing for weeks on how to say Happy Father's Day to my dad. It seems so simple but it's the equivalent of saying 'I love you' to someone you DON'T love on Valentines Day.

Weeks, I tell you. I think I've settled on texting, "What are you doing for Father's Day?" Except I used the same line for his birthday.

I have to say something. But I hate the fact that I exist so much, how am I supposed to thank him for it. Congratulate him for putting me here. It's getting harder and harder for me to do.

I have been stressing for weeks on how to say Happy Father's Day to my dad. It seems so simple but it's the equivalent of saying 'I love you' to someone you DON'T love on Valentines Day.

Weeks, I tell you. I think I've settled on texting, "What are you doing for Father's Day?" Except I used the same line for his birthday.

I have to say something. But I hate the fact that I exist so much, how am I supposed to thank him for it. Congratulate him for putting me here. It's getting harder and harder for me to do.
The easiest way for me to figure out what to say is by imagining the guilt I would have if I lost them soon and never said anything. But honestly Kiz, it sounds like you have some big things to sort through and likely need some help doing the sorting.

we love you Saints brother.

What would happen if you didn’t?

I hear you. For me, I have a pretty good relationship with my dad and a simple "Happy Father's Day" text is what I do. My kids do the same for me. Last year they did a nice homemade card, which was pretty cool. I think keeping it simple is better. But that's me.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom