You Make the Call: What should the Saints do about the Guard Position? (1 Viewer)

By CHARLES ODUMASSOCIATED PRESS – updated Friday, September 4, 2015

ATLANTA | The Atlanta Falcons acquired veteran guard Andy Levitre from the Tennessee Titans on Friday in exchange for a sixth-round pick in the 2016 NFL draft and a future conditional pick.

If we are offering a 4th we should be able to get a really good starting guard. We traded a 5th for Grubbs and before coming here he was regarded as a top 5 guard, he was at least top 10-12 the majority of his time here. It's not hard to get interest and find a starting Guard, it's about whether the Saints want to put something meaningful on the table. Leary is about as good as Lelito in my mind and not worth more than a 6th. If we are going to trade for a guard(especially a 4th) we should get a good one that fits our system.

All of the teams that have recently drafted guards have former starters that are options for us to take.

I would trade McCown for Leary. Win/win for both sides unless Brees goes down, in which case it probably won't matter anyway.

And having Leary greatly reduces the risk of Brees going down, IMO.

i agree with this.......if brees goes down we don't win anyway.......McCown is probably in his last year as a saint regardless of anything else they do.

This won't happen Jerry won't go from asking for a 2nd round pick to McCown they will just roll with Dak Prescott. Plus Leary would be the exact same thing we already have in Lelito.

You want to go player for player you might get Jerry's attention if you offered up Kikaha.

After Thursday's game against the Patriots a lot of the talk was about the turnovers, Michael Thomas and the play of the Defense. One thing that hasn't been touched on much in my opinion is the lack of solidification at the Guard position. From what I hear Peat is an enigma while Kelemete and Lelito have questions of their own. We all know Brees needs solid Guard play to create a clean pocket to step up in and he's not getting any younger. If there is anything that can disrupt the Saints offense it's Drew Brees getting hit cleanly every time he goes back to pass. Payton is no fool and is aware of this thus the continued rumor of the Saints trying to trade for the Cowboys Ronald Leary. Question is what would you be comfortable giving up for him and if that's not an option what would you do?

What to do? Pray.

After Thursday's game against the Patriots a lot of the talk was about the turnovers, Michael Thomas and the play of the Defense. One thing that hasn't been touched on much in my opinion is the lack of solidification at the Guard position. From what I hear Peat is an enigma while Kelemete and Lelito have questions of their own. We all know Brees needs solid Guard play to create a clean pocket to step up in and he's not getting any younger. If there is anything that can disrupt the Saints offense it's Drew Brees getting hit cleanly every time he goes back to pass. Payton is no fool and is aware of this thus the continued rumor of the Saints trying to trade for the Cowboys Ronald Leary. Question is what would you be comfortable giving up for him and if that's not an option what would you do?

Good thread. Good question.

My answer is - let the competition play out, and watch the cuts when teams go to 53.

If I was GM, we would've signed Slauson (we could afford him at 900K). But I'm not the GM (thank god). I trust that Sean will fix it. He's no idiot.

My bigger worry is the injuries. All of 'em seem to be happening on the D.

Call the 49ers and offer them a draft pick for Anthony Davis. He might not be a starter for the 49ers unless he plays guard for them as well. Saw him in the preseason game at RT where he looked very good. Was playing on the 3rd sting unit and only reason he isn't still starting is because he just came back from his 1 year retirement. Only 26 years old and still has the ability to be an elite Olineman just entering his prime. I think the 49ers would be open to trading him for the right pick and I would definitely welcome him. He would fit in perfectly at OG here and be exactly what we need. Would be a Carl Nicks clone and instantly change our Oline to one of the better ones in the NFL. Davis has the potential to come in and be one of the best OGs in the NFL when not long ago he was one of the best OTs in the NFL. I know I would feel much better about the Oline situation. Not only makes us much better this season but at just 26 gives us a great Oline for the next few years.

LT-Armstead LG-Davis C-Unger RG-Kele/Lelito RT-Peat/Streif.
Make it happen Loomis!

As much as I would like Turner to shine and take over a guard spot, it took Carl Nicks until a the sixth game of 2008 to replace Nesbit (injury I think?) as good of a prospect as he was. I think there's a possibility he could take over eventually on the right side, but he has to make the team first.

Guard going from a top strength to a top weakness has changed the tenor of our offense. We have to address is sooner rather than later - next offseason I guess - if we want to extend Drew's career. For now, I don't think there's much we can do prior to the start of this season. Mostly we need to hope that Peat will be competent at one spot and that Kelemente/Lelito will ably man the other.

My fear is that this may be the most talented group of skilled position players in franchise history and it won't matter because Brees won't have time to throw. I'm not sold on any of our guards...including Peat.

This very much reminds me of the CB position two years ago. We all know that it was going to be crap after Champ Bailey didn't pan out...yet more than half of this forum had faith that some kind of miracle would happen with Corey White and Patrick Robinson. What you see is what you get.

I am desperately trying to sign or trade for a guard while the ever reducing Brees window is open.

I'm also not sold in Strief at right tackle. He was downright awful at times last year, I don't care what PFF says. Brees is in danger almost every time he drops back if Strief is on a quality pass rusher by himself. He's also a slow, unathletic run blocker. I was hoping they would improve the guard position enough to have Peat play RT. Doesn't appear at this time that the guard play is improved or that Peat can play RT. Just hopeful they can find some combination that works and improves with time.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom