You should never see a stat line like Latavious Murray (1 Viewer)

So you don't think Murray, averaging 9.9 yards/carry, could have converted those 2pt conversions, if nothing else?

I don't. You could hive him 100 carries from the 1 yard line and I promise you he would average less than one yard per carry.

It could be argued if Murray got the ball more AK doesn't fumble and give the niners an extra possession. Also, if Murray runs more the defense stays off the field longer and maybe less injuries to our guys. But speculation is just that. Speculation. We'll never know what could have been.

Yea but we scored 46 on the #1 defense in football. Should Murray have ran more? Yes. Is him not running why Saints lost? Obviously not.
Actually it contributed and arguably it was significant.

The 3rd and 1 with us up 27-21 and we toss Kamara out wide for a 4 yard loss. That's Murray's carry. There were other instances as well of Kamara with negative yardage plays killing a drive.

I don't. You could hive him 100 carries from the 1 yard line and I promise you he would average less than one yard per carry.
Well, if he scored 99 times out of 100 from the one he would technically average less than 1 ypc. I think we’d all be ok with that.

Actually it contributed and arguably it was significant.

The 3rd and 1 with us up 27-21 and we toss Kamara out wide for a 4 yard loss. That's Murray's carry. There were other instances as well of Kamara with negative yardage plays killing a drive.

Neat. So the 1 thing that the offense could have done better use Murray more. We all agree. Now give me the list of things the defense could have done better? If it is less than 10, you were not watching closely. Once again, not using Murray is not why we lost.

So you don't think Murray, averaging 9.9 yards/carry, could have converted those 2pt conversions, if nothing else?

Sure. Now give me the list of things the defense could have done to stop an average defense from scoring 48 at home that could have saved us at least 2 points.

I will give you 1 - Cam stays with Mostert on the WR TD pass. Saves us 7.

I respectfully disagree, when Kamara was out Murray ran some nice routes out of the backfield. That reception TD against Arizona comes to mind, Murray needs more touches.
It really baffles me Payton doesn’t run more 2 RB sets, maybe he’s saving it for playoffs?
Murray had a really nice play on a pass reception and run down the sideline in the SF game.

Sure. Now give me the list of things the defense could have done to stop an average defense from scoring 48 at home that could have saved us at least 2 points.

It was too bad Cam got caught up in the run action, but Cam not staying with Mostert is one of the least egregious things about the D last Sunday

It was too bad Cam got caught up in the run action, but Cam not staying with Mostert is one of the least egregious things about the D last Sunday

You helped make my point.

Well, if we convert those, even with the defensive play, we win (based on the final score). I think the issue is, the 9ers are proving that they're not average in any way (offense or defense): best record in the league while playing in the tougher conference. I watched that game and yes, the defense blew some assignments, but San Fran's play-calling was amazing and you could see the schemes allowed guys to run wide-open, caught our guys out of position, and Jimmy G stepped up.

Our defense works better with a concerted run effort, but both defenses were equally vulnerable and both forced a turnover each; they cancel each other out in my book. Once we get up early, like we did, I'd like to see us use Murray and keep our defense from being exposed and eat some clock. Time again, we stick with the pass or force it to Kamara, who is clearly not running well. Murray was running so hard, he sidelined Sherman for a couple of plays from a tackle; adding that element would help in a win.

Well, if we convert those, even with the defensive play, we win (based on the final score). I think the issue is, the 9ers are proving that they're not average in any way (offense or defense): best record in the league while playing in the tougher conference. I watched that game and yes, the defense blew some assignments, but San Fran's play-calling was amazing and you could see the schemes allowed guys to run wide-open, caught our guys out of position, and Jimmy G stepped up.

Our defense works better with a concerted run effort, but both defenses were equally vulnerable and both forced a turnover each; they cancel each other out in my book. Once we get up early, like we did, I'd like to see us use Murray and keep our defense from being exposed and eat some clock. Time again, we stick with the pass or force it to Kamara, who is clearly not running well. Murray was running so hard, he sidelined Sherman for a couple of plays from a tackle; adding that element would help in a win.

You do realize they still had enough time to possibly score a TD after the 4th and 2 if needed? The 2 pt conversion misses may not have mattered. On the road, SF was averaging about 26 points per game on the road. Most of those games against defenses supposedly far worse than the Saints. They almost doubled their average against us. Blaming anything but the defense is picking nits.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom