You should never see a stat line like Latavious Murray (1 Viewer)

Maybe the ways that the Panthers were lining up dictated either we called run or pass. They are a division opponent and have a pretty smart dude on the field on defense. Drew could’ve called a few audibles from runs to passes. I would think that Payton going into every game wants to be balanced.

Which is why we should always have Murray in the backfield and AK lined up at WR or in backfield.
Our offense would be a lot less predictable.
Damn straight on this right here. Essentially, that's a 3 WR set with 21 personnel. That's a win for the offense.

You should damn sure never see that stat line when Carolina gave up 4.9 yards per rush through the first 10 games, and you have two backup linemen in who arent great at pass protection but made it to the NFL on run blocking, and in game Carolina loses Poe and McCoy and Murray is forking beasting up the middle.

It wasn't the Offense. We gave Allen a career day. He looked like a ginsu chief the way he carved that dead fish we put out there on Defense.
Offense did their part.

We needed this game to get our passing game back on track. Especially to prove that Cook could dominate the middle. If we go into the SF game not knowing who’s going to step up and catch passes besides Thomas then we could really have a hard time against that defense.

I think Payton also wanted to get TQS in the game as well. It was all by design.

We needed this game to get our passing game back on track. Especially to prove that Cook could dominate the middle. If we go into the SF game not knowing who’s going to step up and catch passes besides Thomas then we could really have a hard time against that defense.

I think Payton also wanted to get TQS in the game as well. It was all by design.
Dude this wasn't a test game scrimmage to get the passing game on track. We won on a last second FG because Carolina's kicker missed 2 extra points and a FG with under 2 minutes left to go in the game. This wasn't a "prove that Cook could dominate the middle" experiment. The running game was working and it was Carolina's weakness. Instead of continuing to pound the ball and setup a really deadly play-action, Payton went away from the run or Brees audibled out of a lot of running plays. Either way, it nearly cost the team the game. Murray has shown what he can do. We know what AK41 can do. Payton needs to get back a more balanced attack.

Dude this wasn't a test game scrimmage to get the passing game on track. We won on a last second FG because Carolina's kicker missed 2 extra points and a FG with under 2 minutes left to go in the game. This wasn't a "prove that Cook could dominate the middle" experiment. The running game was working and it was Carolina's weakness. Instead of continuing to pound the ball and setup a really deadly play-action, Payton went away from the run or Brees audibled out of a lot of running plays. Either way, it nearly cost the team the game. Murray has shown what he can do. We know what AK41 can do. Payton needs to get back a more balanced attack.
Despite your strong reaction to my observation, it’s obvious that one of the goals was to get Cook involved. Payton thinks long term. And we’re going to need Cook and Brees to have chemistry.
Just because you thought they needed to run doesn’t make my statement less valuable. Get over it. They played how they wanted to play not based on what you thought were the best chances to win.

Part of me is wondering if we gave Murray a lighter load today because we plan to run him down the falcons' throats on Thurs.

Hey, I can hope, right?
I'm right there with ya brother, hoping

Just because you thought they needed to run doesn’t make my statement less valuable. Get over it. They played how they wanted to play not based on what you thought were the best chances to win.
They didn't need this game to prove anything. Again, this wasn't a test game to prove feasibility and the only reason it was won is because of the performance of Carolina's kicker. The way they played damn near resulted in a loss. Payton can't afford to ignore a working run game against the 49ers or Atlanta to prove anything and that's what you're saying. Payton already knows what Cook can do. That's why they paid him. The whole point is attacking a team's weaknesses and that's the gist of this thread. Maybe you're in the wrong thread because this one is talking about the fact that Payton got pass happy and ignored a working running game. You should get over that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom