You young bucks think it's bad now... (1 Viewer)

When we won XLIV I never felt better about this team. We could be in for a good many years of losing. No draft picks, cap hell, and no coaching leads to bad seasons. But, the brightside is we'll get to see some new coaches and we did win a Superbowl!!
I would argue the turnover from a losing season to playoff/championship contender is quicker now, even quicker than it was 10 years ago.
You saw it with the Eagles. Two years ago, they went 4-11-1.
You can even turn it around if you keep the coach.
Shanahan went 10-22 and Zac Taylor went 6-25 in their first two seasons.

I watched them all through thick and thin. My friends used to give me hell because I was a Saints fan and not a cowboys or falcons fan. I had so much fun telling them to byte my butt when we won the Super Bowl.
I'm 59. When my parents divorced in 1973, I went to live with my dad's mother (my grandmother). It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Growing up on 65 acres with cows, chickens, huge pasture....etc. I found out the meaning of hard work and good play. I gravitated towards the Saints with all my being. I watched every game as much as it pained me. I would wait up to see MNF's halftime highlights, just praying the Saints would be on it. Every win was huge back in those days. And they didn't come very often. Full of heart break endings. It has made me a better fan and man going through those days.

We knew better. The Mora years were a lot better than the Haslett years. Only Jim Mora was snake bitten in the playoffs, even with the Colts.

He wasn't snake bitten, his conservative play not to lose philosophy doesn't work in the playoffs....one of the main reasons I loved SP as a coach here is because he was the exact opposite of Mora, he understood you have to take big chances in big games....

Now we have a Mora type coach again, but without the Mora discipline or preparation.....

I'm 59. When my parents divorced in 1973, I went to live with my dad's mother (my grandmother). It was the best thing that ever happened to me. Growing up on 65 acres with cows, chickens, huge pasture....etc. I found out the meaning of hard work and good play. I gravitated towards the Saints with all my being. I watched every game as much as it pained me. I would wait up to see MNF's halftime highlights, just praying the Saints would be on it. Every win was huge back in those days. And they didn't come very often. Full of heart break endings. It has made me a better fan and man going through those days.
I did the same, had Saints articles from the paper taped up on my walls as a kid, win or lose. And they were terrible for a long time.

I think we are headed for a disaster next year. DA is not head coaching material. If you get the right coach, it sets up a winning chain of events. If we could have hired Pederson or Reich, you could bring in a Carr at QB and win. Not with this current staff.

I think we are headed for a disaster next year. DA is not head coaching material. If you get the right coach, it sets up a winning chain of events. If we could have hired Pederson or Reich, you could bring in a Carr at QB and win. Not with this current staff.
They could have won with Winston and Hill the next two years while grooming their future QB from next year’s draft if Payton was still there or under one of the two coaches you named. DA is a tool. There are some on this board who don’t want to admit it nor give the Winston/Hill combo a chance. It would have saved spending more money on bringing in another old QB on the downside of his career, plus those guys already have a repertoire with the team and system. No need to teach a new person. The pieces are there now to win. Maybe not get to the SB, but build towards it in a couple of years. This won’t happen under DA, IMO.

Last edited:
They could have won with Winston and Hill the next two years while grooming their future QB from next year’s draft if Payton was still there or under one of the two coaches you named. DA is a tool. There are some on this board who don’t want to admit it nor give the Winston/Hill combo a chance. It would have saved spending more money on bringing in another old QB on the downside of his career, plus those guys already have a repertoire with the team and system. No need to teach a new person. The pieces are there now to win. Maybe not get to the SB, but build towards it in a couple of years. This won’t happen under DA, IMO.

I agree.....the QB situation was mismanaged so badly.....I mean we stuck with a QB that ran an offense that basically couldn't score.....it got us to 4-9 and yet, no change.....the last game of the season, that pathetic loss to the Panthers was the epitome of the entire season.....

I agree.....the QB situation was mismanaged so badly.....I mean we stuck with a QB that ran an offense that basically couldn't score.....it got us to 4-9 and yet, no change.....the last game of the season, that pathetic loss to the Panthers was the epitome of the entire season.....
Yep. That offense didn’t score a single point for the second time this season. The 7 points came from the defense and special teams. That alone should have gotten Allen the door. Besides this season, when was the last time the Saints were totally shut out? I don’t remember it ever happening during the Payton era.

Looks like Jan 6, 2002, the game vs SF that was actually rescheduled due to the original week being postponed due to Sept 11

They have ancient history to point to: '35, '52, '53, and '57 were championship years.

The falcons? They can look back on a history of "almost" and futility. 28-3 will live on in the hearts of Saints fans, and in the minds of both falcons fans.
Those teams were dominant they were stacked with talent back then...

The 52 Team had...
2 HoF OLineman
A HoF QB
2 HoF DBs

The 53 Team added...
Added a HoF LBer

The 57 Team added...
A HoF FB
and a HoF Center

In the early 1960s they had 5 HoFers playing together on Defense.

Detroit is pretty far from a pathetic franchise.

I'm old enough to be around when we sucked. I was there for Mora. Screw this. We keep doing dumb stuff (see Richard news) and we're going to be a junk franchise unless something major changes.

I'm old enough to be around when we sucked. I was there for Mora. Screw this. We keep doing dumb stuff (see Richard news) and we're going to be a junk franchise unless something major changes.

Yup....but remember we don't want to make any "rash" decisions.....that is such a losing mindset....

rash = proactive
loser = reactive
perennial loser = status quo, resistant to change

I feel we are right now somewhere between loser and perennial loser.....really disappointed in the decisions being made here and the best coaches on the staff are leaving....

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom