You young bucks think it's bad now... (1 Viewer)

So much to love in the video, regardless of the losing. That was years before cable TV, internet, and TV recorder machines. We didn't have many outlets for seeing highlights aside from the short segments on in-game studio shows on Sundays, the Sunday night local show Fourth Down on 4, the Monday night WVUE Buddy D show "From the Pressbox", and MNF Halftime Highlights. That extended Saturday TV show "This Week in Pro Football" was a godsend, with its NFL Films video and music, and the sweet voices of John Facenda, Tom Brookshier, Pat Summerall, and later Harry Kalas. The show concept would be taken over by HBO with Inside the NFL.

In that day, we were kids and playing as much playground football as we could, in addition to watching the Saints on Sundays. It was all good.

There were Sunday morning LSU and Tulane head coach shows and that was the only way to see highlights of the college games the day or night before, as they would quickly replay every play, with the coaches talking over the footage.

As for the Saints, of course we let Willie Ellison set the one-game rushing record, just like we would let Flipper Anderson set the one game receiving record 18 years later. But the uniforms, the players, Ed Hargett and Bobby Gresham, a day the Saints scored 4 TDs, phenomenal. You see Hugo Hollas, number 18 missing a tackle on Willie Ellison.. and Hollas being mentioned in the thread a few days ago as the reason Archie wore number 8, not 18.
Hugo Hollas missed a LOT of tackles. I didn’t realize it so much when I was younger but he always seems to have a lot of lowlights in these throwback videos.

And, ugh, I was at that Flipper Anderson choke job. A prime time embarrassment game iirc.

it can be argued that back then, fans didn't know what it was like to win, and not just win, be one of the best all around teams for over a decade..
at this point, we know how that euphoria is and now that its seems to be gone, the Jonesing is worse than the hope was.
we've all fallen down before, but it usually hurts worse when the rug was pulled from under you..

I see Allen as another Haslett. Middle of the road coach that will get you 7-8 wins a year, stay around .500. Only difference is Haslett was pre-Payton so those types of years were acceptable to most fans because we didn't know better. The bar has been raised and the fans expectations are a lot higher.
No, I’m thinking more Ditka. The mismanaging talent. The I dunno. Just the huge decline from Payton standards to the just keep doing what your doing of less than Ditkas points per game.

I don't remember the Tom Fears years but I do remember when a John North team actually went 5-9 and Saints fans I knew were so excited that we'd finally found our coach. Same thing when Dick Nolan went 7-9 then 8-8 (which was the first non-losing season ever the 13th season - we were all sooooo excited).

I remember all of them. And we did find our coach, Hank Stram built those teams and offenses that went 7-9 and 8-8 only to get fired by that Mecom idiot before that brief early "success".....he was a far superior coach over Dick Nolan, with him I'm convinced we would have had a first winning seasons and made the playoffs one of those years....
In that day, we were kids and playing as much playground football as we could, in addition to watching the Saints on Sundays. It was all good.

There were Sunday morning LSU and Tulane head coach shows and that was the only way to see highlights of the college games the day or night before, as they would quickly replay every play, with the coaches talking over the footage.

Exact same in my neighborhood on Judith St. in Metairie....

more recently: Those Ditka years were pretty awful

I remember all of them. And we did find our coach, Hank Stram built those teams and offenses that went 7-9 and 8-8 only to get fired by that Mecom idiot before that brief early "success".....he was a far superior coach over Dick Nolan, with him I'm convinced we would have had a first winning seasons and made the playoffs one of those years…
I thought the same, although the team’s drug culture may have done them in before that happened.

The biggest reason I don't like Dennis Allen as our HC is I don't think he's that bad of a coach. A lot of people on here think we're gonna tank with him and that's probably not the case. But I also think we're not gonna really have a chance of winning with him. He's probably gonna pull out a few more 7-8 win type seasons, prolonging his tenure and preventing us from truly entering rebuid mode and having a shot at a franchise QB pick in the draft.

But how spoiled we've become is extremely apparent on this board. All things considered, this season really wasn't the trainwreck it was made out to be. We haven't been a true trainwreck franchise in over 20 years. 2005 was the only outlier.
This year was a TRAIN WRECK!!! Nobody on this board is spoiled. The wanna win period.

I see Allen as another Haslett. Middle of the road coach that will get you 7-8 wins a year, stay around .500. Only difference is Haslett was pre-Payton so those types of years were acceptable to most fans because we didn't know better. The bar has been raised and the fans expectations are a lot higher.
We knew better. The Mora years were a lot better than the Haslett years. Only Jim Mora was snake bitten in the playoffs, even with the Colts.

Or Arizona Cardinals, Buffalo Bills, Carolina Panthers, Cincinnati Bengals, Cleveland Browns, Detroit Lions, Houston Texans, Jacksonville Jaguars, Los Angeles Chargers, Minnesota Vikings, and Tennessee Titans.
All of those teams have gone to SBs except the Browns, Texans, Lions, and Jags, so there has been a measure of success for those teams. But who can forget the Shottenheimer-led Browns of the late 80s? Great teams that couldn’t get past Elway and the Broncos. Reminds me of the Saints and Mora, who couldn’t get past the 49ers in the late 80s and early 90s.

You're so right! They will never know what we've gone through. But it is sad to say that I enjoyed those games way more than I enjoyed this past season. Although maybe it's just because I was a kid then or because of selective memory. This past season is the first time I've ever wanted to just give up on the Saints. Although the Ditka years did cause similar emotions. Of course I never will though. It's just that it didn't have to be like this. 😔 Unfortunately, a lot of things in the world are going this way. Maybe it's just that getting old makes us think that way.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom