Young couple goes on van tour of US, boy comes back with van - no girl (4 Viewers)

This may show my ignorance, or the fact I watch too many tv shows, but have they attempted to track her phone? See where the last actual ping on it was? I mean, I get they were in the middle of nowhere and cell signals can be very rare, but at some point it had to pick up somewhere to at least give them a clue to even what state they were in last.

I imagine that’s among the first things they do these days.

I think I've required the advice of counsel five times in my life, and was guilty as **** four times. The first four times I kept my mouth shut and obtained counsel. The last time I protested my innocence to all who would listen, but still lawyered up :hihi:
saints "Big House" mdterps

Absolutely not.

I don't see how people can see the abuse of prosecutorial power in this country, as well as the long standing (back to the founders) principle of American justice that counsel are essential to the process . . . and then just say "oh he got a lawyer that means he's guilty."

But it's not surprising.

Absolutely not.

I don't see how people can see the abuse of prosecutorial power in this country, as well as the long standing (back to the founders) principle of American justice that counsel are essential to the process . . . and then just say "oh he got a lawyer that means he's guilty."

But it's not surprising.
I don't blame him for getting a lawyer at all, and that's not what makes him look guilty in my eyes. It's the 10 DAYS he was home and not saying anything to anyone, then, after having said lawyer, not speaking with the police or trying to help in any way. If she is just missing, lost, or ran off, why wouldn't he be helping to find her? NOPE! He had something to do with it, that's why he isn't saying anything or helping anyone.

if the police are asking him questions about her whereabouts and he is 'not speaking to them' isn't the obstructing justice or some such?

I get all of that but there's also another human here - one that he apparently loved at some point - and her family. If he didn't kill her, I would think that he has a moral prerogative to tell her family what happened. Of course that's not the same as the legal ramifications and he is looking out for himself. And maybe he intends to do that when he's convinced that he's not going to get railroaded.

But then again, if he knows what happened to her and didn't report anything to anyone, that's a problem. This is a really tough one, presuming he didn't just kill her . . . which we can't rule out. But it's probably more murky than that.

if the police are asking him questions about her whereabouts and he is 'not speaking to them' isn't the obstructing justice or some such?

It can't be both. He can't be compelled to speak to police in the interest of justice and also be free from being compelled to speak to police in the interest of self-incrimination.

The 5th Amendment right includes the right to simply remain silent . . . for all intents and purposes.

I get all of that but there's also another human here - one that he apparently loved at some point - and her family. If he didn't kill her, I would think that he has a moral prerogative to tell her family what happened. Of course that's not the same as the legal ramifications and he is looking out for himself. And maybe he intends to do that when he's convinced that he's not going to get railroaded.

But then again, if he knows what happened to her and didn't report anything to anyone, that's a problem. This is a really tough one, presuming he didn't just kill her . . . which we can't rule out. But it's probably more murky than that.
I think he killed her, hid her body somewhere that he doesn't think they'll ever be able to find it, and is just trying to ride this out. Right now, there is no proof that he had anything to do with her disappearance.

It can't be both. He can't be compelled to speak to police in the interest of justice and also be free from being compelled to speak to police in the interest of self-incrimination.

The 5th Amendment right includes the right to simply remain silent . . . for all intents and purposes.
is there eventual jeopardy for not cooperating - like if it is established she was alive last time he saw her, then he did not help in her being located or rescue, is he culpable?

is there eventual jeopardy for not cooperating - like if it is established she was alive last time he saw her, then he did not help in her being located or rescue, is he culpable?

It depends on what those facts are and relevant state law, but yes, there could be potential charges for that kind of conduct if the circumstances merit it.

But generically speaking, if she yells "I never want to see you again" and walks away, that might not involve criminal conduct on his part. Or if he wakes up and she's gone, I'm not sure that it's a crime for him to not report it. They're both adults.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom