Your 2022 New Orleans Breakers roster! (1 Viewer)

Looked at the names to see if I even recognized 1… NOPE.

Here’s hoping the USFL makes it through its’ inaugural season before folding. 🤞🏻

I doubt it though.

The thing I always say about these new leagues is…why?

The public has shown over and over again that they just aren’t interested in spring/summer football. It just doesn’t feel like an “untapped” resource. It feels like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

I think just like the XFL and WLAF and NFLE, there will be some novelty interest in some markets but overall it will be a disappointment.

By the time the NFL and NCAA football seasons are wrapped, I’m ready to take a nice long break from football.

…Go Breakers. 🙃

The public has shown over and over again that they just aren’t interested in spring/summer football. It just doesn’t feel like an “untapped” resource. It feels like a square peg trying to fit in a round hole.

I think just like the XFL and WLAF and NFLE, there will be some novelty interest in some markets but overall it will be a disappointment.

By the time the NFL and NCAA football seasons are wrapped, I’m ready to take a nice long break from football.

…Go Breakers. 🙃
The why is pretty simple. The TV ratings are big. Watch the numbers come out after these games. Doesn’t mean the league will survive since the overhead is so high, but the audience is there. About 6x the viewers that an NHL hockey game typically draws on TV.

…Go Breakers. 🙃
The latest incarnation of the XFL was actually really good. I enjoyed the games a lot, and really liked how they experimented with rules or features of the game as a pseudo test-bed for NFL adoption. Hearing the playcall radio communications between the coach and QB was pretty neat.

Put football on TV any time of year and I'll watch it.

…Go Breakers. 🙃

It's not that fan interest isn't there. Standing up a football league in the modern era is incredibly expensive especially when there's a hostile monopoly already in place.

…Go Breakers. 🙃
XFL 2.0 was on track until corona hit. If the pandemic didn’t happen, they would be starting season 3 right now.

The why is pretty simple. The TV ratings are big. Watch the numbers come out after these games. Doesn’t mean the league will survive since the overhead is so high, but the audience is there. About 6x the viewers that an NHL hockey game typically draws on TV.
To my knowledge, the XFL was drawing about 2 million to 1.5 million a game. It wasn’t NFL numbers, but it was good.
The AAF CBS game actually outdrew the NBA, but once they put the games on NFL Network and channels not included in thr basic cable tier, the ratings dropped significantly.

The key to the USFL surviving is that TV deal they have. They have a nice deal to show games on FOX, NBC, USA Network, and streaming on Peacock. For a startup, that’s the best deal you can get. I don’t know what XFL 3.0 has, but it’ll be difficult to beat that.

These leagues have proved to be launching grounds for a handful of players who otherwise had been overlooked. When you are developing players, it’s a good thing for all professional football. A high tide lifts all ships.

The XFL2 got off to a really good start. I attended 2 games in Houston and the atmosphere was great.

If spring/summer football isn’t your thing, so be it. Don’t watch. I enjoy it. I kind of like that it starts off with the players being nameless underdogs. No divas. Then you watch a small group of players emerge and you see them on NFL rosters not long after. You see teams start to come together and click. I love it. I love football, and these leagues have a certain innocence and purity that the NFL lacks.

Some of you won’t believe me, but I was enjoying the XFL2 as much as the NFL, maybe even more. It was all about football, and that’s why I watch. It’s 3 hours of escape from life’s BS.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom