Your favorite piece of fried chicken (1 Viewer)

Thigh is always a safe bet. If I had to eat one kinda chicken piece for the rest of my life it'd be thigh.

If the chicken is perfectly done and the breast is juicy, then breast is right up there close to thigh, but a perfectly fried breast is hard to come by.

Leg gets an honorable mention for letting one hand stay clean.

Last weekend, we went to a sort of 'southern fine dining' place for dinner with some friends who had a gift card there. The fried chicken was a signature item, and I was in the mood so that's what I ordered. (I usually don't think it makes sense to get fried chicken at a white table cloth restaurant - they're not going to do anything special to it, it's fried chicken . . . get something else and wait and get chicken at popeye's or the gas station).

So this $20 plate of fried chicken comes and I swear, it was a breast and a tender . . . in what appeared to be some kind of panko breading. It was the most boring, unappealing plate of fried chicken I have ever had. The greens and this sort of maque-choux looking stuff that accompanied it were pretty good, but the chicken was so meh that it was borderline offensive. After all, this place touts itself as 'southern cuisine' and Charleston is full of retirees visiting from Ohio and Massachusetts - not to mention the cruise ships always in port. I'm thinking, man, I bet people come and eat this crap and think they're eating good fried chicken.

There's a gas station I pass on my way to work that has a hot foot counter inside ("Auntie M's") and she starts pumping out the fried chicken and fried pork chops at 8am. Every now and then I stop in and get a thigh and a drumstick for breakfast. It costs $2.19 and it is delicious - it would win a taste test against the restaurant every day, all day.

I Yelped it, "there's literally better fried chicken at the gas station."

When I was a kid it was always breast and wing. As I have gotten older the thigh wins. when I make jambalaya it's always with thighs. Just a more favorable piece of meat.

Wife just left to get me some Popeyes. See what this conversation started..

I like fried chicken livers the most. As for typical fried, I always liked the wing the most.

Heard an interesting story years ago about the most sought after part of the chicken in China. It’s The feet. It’s so popular that it accounts for a large portion of Perdue farms revenue and without this export, they’d probably not be able to survive. They export like a billion feet a year.
Anyone ever eaten the feet?

Last weekend, we went to a sort of 'southern fine dining' place for dinner with some friends who had a gift card there. The fried chicken was a signature item, and I was in the mood so that's what I ordered. (I usually don't think it makes sense to get fried chicken at a white table cloth restaurant - they're not going to do anything special to it, it's fried chicken . . . get something else and wait and get chicken at popeye's or the gas station).

So this $20 plate of fried chicken comes and I swear, it was a breast and a tender . . . in what appeared to be some kind of panko breading. It was the most boring, unappealing plate of fried chicken I have ever had. The greens and this sort of maque-choux looking stuff that accompanied it were pretty good, but the chicken was so meh that it was borderline offensive. After all, this place touts itself as 'southern cuisine' and Charleston is full of retirees visiting from Ohio and Massachusetts - not to mention the cruise ships always in port. I'm thinking, man, I bet people come and eat this crap and think they're eating good fried chicken.

There's a gas station I pass on my way to work that has a hot foot counter inside ("Auntie M's") and she starts pumping out the fried chicken and fried pork chops at 8am. Every now and then I stop in and get a thigh and a drumstick for breakfast. It costs $2.19 and it is delicious - it would win a taste test against the restaurant every day, all day.

I Yelped it, "there's literally better fried chicken at the gas station."
When I think fine dining I don't automatically think gift card and fried chicken :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

BBQ leg quarter for ME!

When I think fine dining I don't automatically think gift card and fried chicken :p:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

Exactly. I don't usually either and wouldn't have gone to this place precisely because I suspected it was a tourist trap. Our friends probably wouldn't have either but they had this card (a gift from one my buddy's patients).

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom