Your perfect day in New Orleans... (1 Viewer)

rudyred21

Rookie
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm taking my wife to New Orleans this Friday for our 2nd anniversary. We will be spending one day here and returning home Friday night.

I was wondering if you guys could help me out with some ideas of what you'd do in a day in New Orleans.

Restaurants, sight seeing, zoo, etc. Please help. Thanks.

Jason

Speaking as a tourist who has been to NOLA several times, a day is not long enough. BUT...if you've never been to the city before I'd start with a carriage ride through the Quarter. You get a nice little history, a few tales, a look at the significant places, and a chance to spot restaurants and places like that you want to check out. Go to Jackson Square to catch a mule buggy. Then walk up to Canal and catch a streetcar to the Garden District. Check out Lafayette Cemetery. Get there and get out of there by 2:30 p.m. because the gates close. Then just walk a bit, observe the lovely homes. Catch your streetcar back to the Quarter. Make sure you go inside St. Louis Cathedral because it is the most beautiful building in America. It kicks the **** out of Cinderella's Castle for wondrousness. Walk down Royal for some nice shops where you can find something wonderful. Also, there is a cool shop on St. Phillip (I think) called New Orleans Lapidary where you can pick her up a spangly bauble for an anniversary present.

That's what I've got off the top of my head. Then you will decide to go back and stay a couple days sometime and do more stuff.

As Kardiac states -- a day is not near enough time to bask in New Orleans -- but to add to her wonderfully placed schedule -- I would say that before or after the buggy ride you take some time to enjoy coffee and beignets at Cafe du monde (right where the buggys are) -- while they are definitely better after drinking on Bourbon it is a must New Orleans experience. On the streetcar ride to uptown it is worth it to walk through Audubon park and see the aquarium area -- not sure if its still there but a 9th ward tour of the Katrina devastation puts a lot of things in perspective -- but since you are only there a day maybe Kardiac's schedule with the Cafe du Monde and Aquarim additions is a better use of your time.

When you return though (and you will return) you will want to do a swamp tour (always fun) and a Bourbon street crawl on a busy night

Enjoy

The aquarium is downtown. The zoo is at Audubon Park

Definitely you will come back! It is a magic place. Too many people think only of Bourbon Street about NOLA and there is so much more. I've had people say, "I don't really drink or party much, so I don't know if I would have fun there." Yes, you will. If you're into history, it's there in spades. If you're into art and music and architecture, there is no better place in the country. The zoo and the aquarium and swamp tours are great family things. And if you like food...honey. The best. I swear to God, the first second I arrived in NOLA my first trip, I felt like I had been there my whole life.

Do you like the acme oyster house in the quarter? Thanks for all the help...Also, Louisiana Bistro's ?

Do you like the acme oyster house in the quarter? Thanks for all the help...Also, Louisiana Bistro's ?

Acme is Ok. Not worth waiting in line for. You can get equally good (or better) oysters at Felix's across the street, but the rest of the food at Felix's isn't very good.

Never heard of Louisiana Bistro's.

Start early and walk down the boardwalk, inhale and smell the stinky-good (love the smell) Mississippi River while watching the barges and steamboats poke along. Make your way to Cafe du Monde for the beignets and cafe ole along with the sounds of live music. Shop for cheapo goodness at the Farmers Market while enjoying a praline sample along the way. Go across the street and meditate inside the cathedral for a spell. Grab a beer and a go cup and chill out in Jackson Square for a while (checking out the art, getting your cards read, whatever). Work up enough appetite to go to Coops Place on Decatur for more beer and a great lunch.

Damn damn damn damn damn! Do you know what it means to miss...

Acme is Ok. Not worth waiting in line for. You can get equally good (or better) oysters at Felix's across the street, but the rest of the food at Felix's isn't very good.

Never heard of Louisiana Bistro's.
Yup. That's the conclusion I came up with over the weekend. Felix's was great. The raw oysters were solid but the chargrilled were absolutely amazing.

A perfect day in NOLA starts about 10am with a decadent breakfast and several bloodies. Then, its time for a walk, cigar and a nap followed by another great feeding session, another walk and more drinking.

Don't pee on the street or your perfect day will end up a bad night.

I always liked Felix's when in the Quarter. It's amazing how people will stand in line for Acme when Felix's is right across the street. Belly up to the bar and get busy. Don't forget to strike up a conversation with the shuckers. It'll be memorable I'm sure. Whatever you do, get the ersters at the erster bar. DO NOT sit at a table as the ersters are sitting out for too long (IMO). The fresher the better.

I say you drink a couple of hurricanes and head over to titty bars until your flat broke.
Nothing says happy second anniversary like a trip to the strip joint.

Wait, or was that happy second divorce. I'm confused.:scratch:

Thanks for all the responses...Maybe I'll see some of you fellow saints fans in NOLA tomorrow. Peace...

Don't pee on the street or your perfect day will end up a bad night.

I always find it amazing how many people come to New Orleans and then act amazed when they get arrested for things they would never do in their own home town. While New Orleans is a fun city we do have laws and are active about enforcing them

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom