You're the Free Agent (1 Viewer)

InTheFade82

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Imagine you are a pro football player. How would you handle Free Agency? Would you go for the big paycheck? Or would you sign with a contender for less?

I've always been very intrigued by the players choice and the behind the scenes business happenings. We read about Derek Cox signing with the Chargers before visiting them and not making a trip to visit the Saints.

Jake Long has been getting paid top dollar since he started in the league but played for a poorly ran team. Now he might be going with Rams as the top offer. But why not maybe take a couple million less and possibly play for a contender?

Another example is Dashon Goldson to the Bucs. Yeah he made to a Super Bowl but his team didn't win. Now he signs with a team that is even less likely to do so.

So, I ask again. What would you do?

i would take into account the city, the taxes, the team and QB, and paycheck

edit: forgot the FA part

Def go to a contender if I've been getting good $$$ beforehand.

Imagine you are a pro football player. How would you handle Free Agency? Would you go for the big paycheck? Or would you sign with a contender for less?

I've always been very intrigued by the players choice and the behind the scenes business happenings. We read about Derek Cox signing with the Chargers before visiting them and not making a trip to visit the Saints.

Jake Long has been getting paid top dollar since he started in the league but played for a poorly ran team. Now he might be going with Rams as the top offer. But why not maybe take a couple million less and possibly play for a contender?

Another example is Dashon Goldson to the Bucs. Yeah he made to a Super Bowl but his team didn't win. Now he signs with a team that is even less likely to do so.

So, I ask again. What would you do?
the Rams didn't lose a game to any NFC West team last year and they have Jeff Fisher, I would call them a contender, if seattle and SF are, then they are, because they have a good shot at winning the div.

I would take it all into account, but money would be the #1 concern above all, but if I had to decide between two teams offering similar money, I'd go to the better team. I'd pay for a bad team for great money before I'd play for a great team for "okay" money, if that's what you're asking.

Each million means a lot to these guys. Sure, a lot of these guys are rich, but $1 million is still $1 million.

i firmly believe i would take less money to play for my home town or play for my favorite team growing up.

money isnt everything especially if youre making millions. i dont need fancy cars or big houses.

The best chance of a superbowl....

And its easy to say this now ;)... but if i was older and on my last legs (and had won a superbowl) i whould love to take a league minimum and sign with the saints :D

Money talks. If money says jump, they are going to say how high.

That's what it all comes down to. About 80% of them are not signing to try and get a ring, they want money instead.

Money. And anyone who says otherwise is an idiot or a liar. Look, a championship is great and everyone would like to reach that pinnacle in their respective careers, but that Super Bowl ring isn't paying for your retirement, your paycheck is. Furthermore, "taking less to play for a contender" is such a load of crap. Do you really think that when top level free agents sign with other teams they have zero confidence in the staff, team, etc. to compete at some point in the contract?

Everyone will say that they would play for less to win a championship, but that would likely be a significant pay raise to them. It's easy to say you would, but it's very unlikely.

Money would be my top consideration for a first contract, but I would take a lesser contract (though not significantly lower) in order to not play in Cleveland, Cincinnati or Buffalo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom