You're the Free Agent (1 Viewer)

Me in my 20s....I sign cheap with the Saints.

Now with my experience and mind set of a 40+ year old, I would say go for the money. Heck, I wake up in pain, and I didn't abuse my body like and NFL player for 10 years. Knowing what I know now, I would go for the money.

while a great memory, that superbowl glow will fade after a few days/weeks. the pride and relief knowing you made enough money to take care of your family and put your great-grandchildren through college will stick with you to your grave. and lets face it. it takes a big fat chunk of luck to win the championship in this game.

It easy for us to say it, but personally...unless a team wanted to seriously overpay me to get me to come there, I would take a little less to go to a contender to win championships.

So, I ask again. What would you do?
There are some places I just wouldn't want to live (Phoenix, Buffalo, Atlanta, Dallas) so I would take less money from a team if it was in a place where I wanted to be. I'd also factor in a winning team vs. a losing team. I'd take less to play for a contender. I'd probably take less to play for the Saints too, like Lewis did.

Less money I would say, shows you would be willing help that contender grab more people to win it all both on the field and in the pocket books

I'm going for the ring. Money comes and goes, the championship lives on forever. But I would play a little hard ball as well. :9:

Money baby! Sign me to the lowly jaguars I don't care I want to make it rain. And when they realize they are paying too much, and cut ne I'll goto another dumb team dumb enough to pay top dollar. Money makes the world go round baby.

1. Most $ (would prefer to play in state with little to no taxes)
2. Coach (certain coaches would not like to play for)
3. Location (would like somewhere warm and good social scene)
4. Winning (would prefer not to go to team with no playoff hopes)

As a young player money is the number 1 and number 2 factor. And it makes sense too because you need to get as much as you can while you can. The average NFL career is around 3-4 years. That's very little time to get as much money as you can. On top of that injuries are always looming and it only takes one to cut that money pipeline off.

The only time I can see a younger player taking less money is having a shot at playing time (make $3 mil at team A but be a back up or take $2 mil at team B for a legit shot at starting) or if that player just doesn't like a particular city/coach/scheme (basically, if I was a stud WR and had to play in Buffalo).

The guys that chase glory, rings, and what not are the guys who have bank accounts that are stuffed because they didn't chase those things early on.

It would all depend on the circumstances. If i had a ring im looking to cash in. if I had a big pay day already Im looking for a ring. if I had neither Id take highest payday with a contender even if I took a little less from others.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom