Zach Brown- Free Agent LB (1 Viewer)

bclemms

More than 15K posts served!
Reaction score
Here is what I know about him.

26 years old, 6'1, 245lbs, ran a 4.48-4.50 at the combine and pro day. Ran track at NC and is explosive but also big and powerful. He was a 2nd round pick in the 2012 draft. He was replaced mid season by Wesley Woodyard at the LILB spot for the Titans after starting his first three seasons. In those 30 something starts he was at least partly responsible for 11 turnovers with 6 interceptions, 2 forced fumbles and 3 fumble recoveries. He had good tackle production, PFF grade is just fairly average but far better than any LB we put on the field last season.

Thing that stands out about him to me though, he was projected by everyone to be a guy that offered some versatility to play inside in a pinch if needed but he was a prototypical 43 OLB. He played the SAM at NC and everyone thought he would too in the NFL. Titans, who play a 34 defense, drafted him where he played ILB.

He's a guy I don't hear much about, a guy that I haven't seen play much (who watches the Titans?) but on paper seems like a guy we should target. He'll be cheap, in his prime, athletic and the type of guy that could really come on if moved to his natural position. At worst he'd be great depth that could backup all 3 LB spots and would likely be a good special teams player with his size and strength.

Here are a couple draft profiles.
NFL Events: Combine Player Profiles - Zach Brown
WalterFootball.com: 2012 NFL Draft Scouting Report: Zach Brown

Anyone know anything else about him?

Just seems odd that a player with his skill set, age and knack for the turnover could be signed in free agency for little or nothing.

I hear he likes his chicken fried, cold beer on a Friday night, a pair of jeans that fit just right, and the radio up.

So what you are saying is Sign Zach Brown, Draft Leonard Floyd to play Sam, and move Kikaha to RDE?

I'd have to say that's rather smooth. You'd have Anthony,Floyd, and Brown roaming the 2nd level of the defense. All with 4.6 speed or less and Kikaha doing what he does best in rushing the passer exclusively.

If I had to guess his FB instincts never lined up with his athletic ability. This is my reasoning for wanting Ellerbe or another veteran paired with Anthony. He needs someone that processes the game fast playing next to him and in his ear.

I like the speed element but there are enough questions to wonder there. Same reason why i could see us pairing Laurinitis with him depending on who wins between he and Ellerbe should we sign him.

We asked the ROLB to play a great deal of zone...even when he was flexed out on a WR he was still playing zone coverage. So awareness/drops seems to be more of a standard at the position than Athletic Ability/Man Coverage ability.

I'm sure we could use one with Man coverage ability but If we play more zone..the guy needs to be seeing the proper reads and have closing speed...not necessarily 4.5 speed all over the field ability. Though this would ideally help if a guy is 4.5 but only playing at a 4.7 then idk...you kind of nullify the athletic ability.

Interesting LB at a position high on our need list. Would like to know what Titan fans have to say about him. Sounds like he has the physical tools to be great. Why was he benched? Out of position? Is he smart enough to improve? Injuries? Locker room plus? Dropping back in coverage?

I think Nigel BRadham is another option to provide depth at Will who will come at a reasonable price. He seems to be a good coverage LB (both man and zone) that did not adapt as well to Rex's scheme.

Whats the difference between what RR had Kikaha doing and what DA had him doing? He kinda dissapeared late season. Or was it the injury?

So what you are saying is Sign Zach Brown, Draft Leonard Floyd to play Sam, and move Kikaha to RDE?

I'd have to say that's rather smooth. You'd have Anthony,Floyd, and Brown roaming the 2nd level of the defense. All with 4.6 speed or less and Kikaha doing what he does best in rushing the passer exclusively.

Not discounting the rest of your post, as it is very cogent and deeper in football knowledge than I am, but....

I love this idea! Our best defender on the strongside, our best pass rusher on the weak, and 3 hyper-quick guys at the second level (and a vet backup to boot). All while only using 1 mid level FA signing and 1 draft pick.

Tomorrow's NFL is going to have 25-50% super mobile QB's, IMHO, even though the tope, "elite" guys may usually be traditional pocket guys. To deal with the mobile ones, LB athleticism is going to be at a huge premium.

You likened WR's to a basketball team in another thread. I'd make a LB parallel to that. If you don't have 3 do it all guys at LB, you darn sure better have guys that can rotate in and do specific jobs, just like your WR's. You need a Thumper, a blitzer, a coverage guy, a QB spy, etc. just like you need a deep threat, a red zone guy, a horizontal quick twitch guy, a possesion guy, and a zone buster.

I don't know as much about the game as you do, does all that make sense, or am I way off?

If I had to guess his FB instincts never lined up with his athletic ability. This is my reasoning for wanting Ellerbe or another veteran paired with Anthony. He needs someone that processes the game fast playing next to him and in his ear.

I like the speed element but there are enough questions to wonder there. Same reason why i could see us pairing Laurinitis with him depending on who wins between he and Ellerbe should we sign him.

We asked the ROLB to play a great deal of zone...even when he was flexed out on a WR he was still playing zone coverage. So awareness/drops seems to be more of a standard at the position than Athletic Ability/Man Coverage ability.

I'm sure we could use one with Man coverage ability but If we play more zone..the guy needs to be seeing the proper reads and have closing speed...not necessarily 4.5 speed all over the field ability. Though this would ideally help if a guy is 4.5 but only playing at a 4.7 then idk...you kind of nullify the athletic ability.

I don't really care about man coverage with LB's. I don't like most LB's in man coveage and it simply presents a huge mismatch for the offense in most cases. I do think a LB has to be good in zone in today's NFL. All the interceptions I've found on him all came in zone coverage. His 6 interceptions is more than any Saints LB has had in a 3 year stretch in almost a decade and this from a guy playing out of position and didn't start all of those games.

Apparently he's also a pretty good blitzer with 9 sacks his first two seasons.

You are also assuming that Ellerbe can stay healthy and age isn't going to be a factor. Even then, if Kikaha is at DE we only have 2 starting OLBs and at best some very shady depth at all 3 LB spots behind them.

I'm not saying this guy is a star and there is likely some red flags that we are simply not aware of given his production, age, athletic ability and value. I am saying that he would be a massive upgrade for minimal money which we need any place we can get it but particularly at OLB. Even if he's just depth he provides you with experience, versatility and athletic ability that should also translate to special teams.

I'm not a big fan of the Laurinaitis move for several reasons. The main being he is and always has been a MLB. Anthony is a MLB, was drafted to be the MLB and I thought flashed the ability. I'm not a big fan of moving him around. Let him develop. The next is Laurinitis is probably going to still get pretty good money. So now we are spending a chunk of change on a stop gap at a position where we have a guy that looks to have a bright future, move him to OLB where he hasn't played and don't know what we will get while risking to stunt his development.

What I do like about Laurinaitis is that he is a warm body and better than any LB we had last season. He is also a veteran and vocal leader on and off the field.

Now, if we can talk him into playing OLB then I say go for it but at what point does Laurinaitis contract get high enough where we might as well go after Brandon Marshall or Danny Trevathan who are better, younger and play the OLB positions?

Whats the difference between what RR had Kikaha doing and what DA had him doing? He kinda dissapeared late season. Or was it the injury?

I believe Allen played him more as a taditional Sam than the weakside edge player/rusher that Ryan did.

I believe Allen played him more as a taditional Sam than the weakside edge player/rusher that Ryan did.

I'm hoping that was by need rather than by design. We were pulling guys out of fast food windows to play OLB by season end.

As for the experience a lot of people are wanting for Anthony. Well, the Seahawks in 2014 had the best defense with Wright, Wagner and Irvin. Who were 22, 24 and 26 years old at the time they helped Seattle win the Super Bowl. Total age of 72.

Last season the Broncos Lb's of Travathan, Marshall and Von Miller were 25, 26 and 26. Total age of 77.

The Patriots won the Superbowl year before last with Collins, Mayo and Hightower. They were 24, 28 and 25 years old at the time. A combined age of 77.

Just for hypotheticals, if Brown, Anthony and Jalon Smith were our LB's then they'd be 27, 24 and 21. Total age of 72. With Ellerbe instead of Brown, total age of 76.

That should eliminate many concerns about experience if we went with a younger group.

I've been on this guys train from jump street. He isn't a Danny Trevathan, but I think he is one of those players Payton referenced that will be in your second or third tier group of FA signings.

If his skills can be taken advantage of then he would be a solid addition to the LB corps. Having him compete with Ellerbe would be a win for the Saints.

I still draft a LB if one were available but his signing would be a welcomed addition without breaking the bank...then again- someone might fall in love with him and throw millions at the young man.

He is coming into his prime. His addition along with a another LB selected early in the draft would do well by repairing the front seven.

It's obvious there is a plan and I'm excited to watch it play out. FA will determine where we focus on the draft.

The front seven on defense has been harped on for weeks when you listen to Payton and Loomis. He is a LB that has shown an ability to rush the passer before.

It's all about using your assets to the best of their ability.

Agree with most everyone here. If he comes for relatively cheap, he could be a great addition and play well as an OLB in Allen's 4-3. He's already better than any LB on the team except Anthony and maybe a healthy Ellerbe. Letting Ellerbe be a backup/part time player would be beneficial for both his health and the team.

We're transitioning to a 4-3.

Likely going to use a weak 4-3 with Kikaha on the edge. Meaning it will be either Anthony/Ellerbe, Anthony/Laurinaitis or Ellerbe/Laurinaitis in the 2nd level.

Draft Chris Jones at the #2 DT. Hope and pray we can squeeze in Jaye Howard, and our D-L is fixed for years.

We're transitioning to a 4-3.

Likely going to use a weak 4-3 with Kikaha on the edge. Meaning it will be either Anthony/Ellerbe, Anthony/Laurinaitis or Ellerbe/Laurinaitis in the 2nd level.

Draft Chris Jones at the #2 DT. Hope and pray we can squeeze in Jaye Howard, and our D-L is fixed for years.

Meh..I don't think we're transitioning into anything.

We're going to play a 4-3 hybrid that uses 3-4 personnel because well that's what we have.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom