Saints Zach Line announces retirement (1 Viewer)

I wish him and his family well. He lived across the street from a cousin of mine and she always said such nice things about him and his family.

All these young guys retiring is making me think the injury risk and lack of integrity from the league is starting to really stand out.

Millennials as a generation have less of the "play through pain" cheesy Nike slogan attitude of their predecessors. They also see corporations for what they are, and have a more healthy understanding of what's really behind an employee/employer relationship. Hopefully they and the generations after them continue to realize that the uniquely American "never take a sick day!" thing is something terribly unhealthy that corporations invented to enable them to squeeze profit out of a turnip.

You'll see more and more of this, and I think it's great. Good for Andrew Luck. Good for Rob Gronkowski and Calvin Johnson and Zach Line. So on and so forth. Do your thing young fellas.

Millennials as a generation have less of the "play through pain" cheesy Nike slogan attitude of their predecessors. They also see corporations for what they are, and have a more healthy understanding of what's really behind an employee/employer relationship. Hopefully they and the generations after them continue to realize that the uniquely American "never take a sick day!" thing is something corporations invented to enable them to squeeze profit out of a turnip, and set healthy boundaries for their relationships with their employers.

You'll see more and more of this, and I think it's great.

I can see it. Especially, with the increase of players acting out and CTE being a growing cause.

My first thought was that perhaps Line's last injury was likely more extensive than we may have suspected.

Either way, kudos to him. I wish him the best. He was clutch on short yardage and a heck of a blocker. We are going to miss him! Hopefully we find an adequate replacement.

All these young guys retiring is making me think the injury risk and lack of integrity from the league is starting to really stand out.
Why am I doing this when I already know the league wants a packers/chiefs super bowl.

Thanks for three years of excellent service Zach. The position of a true full back has been diminishing in relevance in the NFL for a long while now, but there was a place for it in CSP's offense and Line did an exemplary job. May he have a long and prosperous retirement.

I think these early retirements are going to become more and more common in the near future. Between the CTE studies and the amounts of money these guys are making nowadays, the risk starts to outweigh the reward once you get to about the 6 to 8 year mark, especially if you've invested properly.

Zach Line has made probably about $5m to $7m doing what he does, and likely does not project to be able to do this for more than another 2 or 3 seasons since teams like to go young and cheap at FB, so he may as well get out now with his health still intact for the most part.

Best of luck to him.
Agree. Players are wising up. Good to see.

I liked the versatility he offered in the backfield. He was kind of a tweener fullback and halfback. Bon chance, Zach.

I was a fan of Zach Line even before he came to the Saints... and even more so once he joined the B&G.
I will miss him on the team, but I understand and support his decision. I wish him the very best in his retirement.

I am hopeful that the Saints fill the FB role with someone that can give the offense everything that Line did... and that will be difficult. The Saints are one of only a handful of teams that still carry a FB though, so they should have a lot of options. Although he filled in admirably, I do not believe Ricky Ortiz is that guy.

Millennials as a generation have less of the "play through pain" cheesy Nike slogan attitude of their predecessors. They also see corporations for what they are, and have a more healthy understanding of what's really behind an employee/employer relationship. Hopefully they and the generations after them continue to realize that the uniquely American "never take a sick day!" thing is something terribly unhealthy that corporations invented to enable them to squeeze profit out of a turnip.

You'll see more and more of this, and I think it's great. Good for Andrew Luck. Good for Rob Gronkowski and Calvin Johnson and Zach Line. So on and so forth. Do your thing young fellas.

Wow, well said!

its crazy how different attitudes can change. I am not pointing at you on this (because I don't know what your stance was )but look how many people gave Ricky Williams hell when all he was doing was "doing his thing"

its crazy how different attitudes can change. I am not pointing at you on this (because I don't know what your stance was )

Peep the avatar. Love Ricky. Always have. He bought me booze for a party once when I was 19*****.

*** Allegedly

Last edited:
Just mentioned him in the 'Kamara' thread on why our run game with Murray was not there down the stretch. This guy was in a lot packages that featured Murray as the RB. No surprise our run game suffered/or lack thereof when he was out.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom