Zach Strief’s first Game (2 Viewers)

I haven't listened to the whole game, but Strief has clearly studied tape of Jim Henderson. Taysom Hill's run into the end zone was a "scamper."

His voice is a little flat and monotone, and "Jag-wires" as someone pointed out is awful, but it seems passable and honestly better than I expected for game 1.

I sure do miss Mr. Jim. Knew this was going to be rough. I don't think he should be the pbp guy.

Like already said, get someone else in there with some experience and let him be a 2nd color guy.

I thought it was good.

I always knew what was going on.

I think he has an easy and likeable voice.

He even couldn’t help himself, and had a few “color” comments about specifics on the action tonight. (Hard not to when you were on the field a year ago).

Bottom line, his description of plays/action was clear and thorough. I always knew yards gained as they happened.

Not sure why everyone thought he was terrible, I really enjoyed him.

Okay, great. Thanks for the clarification.

If Strief is the new pbp thought he might warm up with the pre-season games.

Otherwise, why is there a thread about his "first game". This isn't a first game as pbp.
He just got hired.

Why wouldn't this constitute his first game as pbp?

He’ll get better over time hopefully. He’ll never have a great play by play voice like a Jim Henderson or Joel Myers though. He just doesn’t have it. The best radio voice on this broadcast is Steve Geller.
Which begs the question, why was he hired as pbp?

His voice or inflection isn't going to change. This is it. He can be technically competent as he wants, but you want some gusto out of your radio pbp. Someone that can get you totally immersed in the game.

I wish him well.

Which begs the question, why was he hired as pbp?

His voice or inflection isn't going to change. This is it. He can be technically competent as he wants, but you want some gusto out of your radio pbp. Someone that can get you totally immersed in the game.

I wish him well.

This right here...

I caught the first part of the game on radio and it was pretty good by deuce and strief, then watched on tv and it was good by stinch and myers, I really have no complaints, they were better than Aikman

Sorry, "likable" does not make a great pbp guy.
I LOVE the guy... but not as the voice of our Saints.

I listened for a few series of plays.

He just doesn’t have a radio voice. It doesn’t draw you in. That’s not likely to change.
His color is bland. He doesn’t articulate very well and his vocabulary seems limited.
That will improve in time.

This is professional football and he sounds about like you’d expect. Like a guy learning. Not exactly what you want at this level.
Doesn’t really matter and I don’t think WWL cares.
I won’t be listening. WWL didn’t care enough, why should I?

Sorry, "likable" does not make a great pbp guy.
I LOVE the guy... but not as the voice of our Saints.

I meant likable within the context of the job. His execution was easy to like. I’m not commenting on his personality.

its crazy how different strief sounded on the radio tonight with deuce vs how he sounded on tv tonight with joel

I meant likable within the context of the job. His execution was easy to like. I’m not commenting on his personality.

You didn't even listen to the game though? He was bland, monotone, had tons of dead air some of which is fixable but he is not very good imo.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom