Zach Strief’s first Game (2 Viewers)

You didn't even listen to the game though? He was bland, monotone, had tons of dead air some of which is fixable but he is not very good imo.

Fair enough. I listened to the clips provided. FWIW, I was in favor of experience for this hire, even if that came from outside the area. I wanted polish and professionalism. But I’m going to give Strief a chance because what other choice do I have. I hope he does well and the bit that I provided in the link was likable.

Fair enough. I listened to the clips provided. FWIW, I was in favor of experience for this hire, even if that came from outside the area. I wanted polish and professionalism. But I’m going to give Strief a chance because what other choice do I have. I hope he does well and the bit that I provided in the link was likable.

I hope so. I'm very biased because I worked in radio for a few years and a huge fan of Mr. Jim. I still haven't come to terms with him being gone yet.

I’m not sure how rough the start was but I picked it up at the start of the 2nd half and he must have settled in some. I thought he and Duece did well.
He expounded some but I’m good with that, the guy has insight.
I think it’ll be a unique combo.

It’s funny how history repeats itself. I’m young but I’ve read many articles about Jim Henderson where it said he got a lot of flack at first when he was just starting out as the PBP guy because he wasn’t the previous guy. This is happening here as well. This was his first game for goodness sake. You can’t make judgments yet. Can we at least give him a season? Stop overreacting.

It’s funny how history repeats itself. I’m young but I’ve read many articles about Jim Henderson where it said he got a lot of flack at first when he was just starting out as the PBP guy because he wasn’t the previous guy. This is happening here as well. This was his first game for goodness sake. You can’t make judgments yet. Can we at least give him a season? Stop overreacting.

Nobody is as popular as the previous guy (if the previous guy was a winner). Heaven help the guys who replace Sean and Drew.

If we had replaced Jim with a quality play-by-play guy I’d be fine with it. If Joel Myers were in that booth I wouldn’t complain. There are hundreds of college football teams that have play-by-play guys. There has to be some great young pbp guys working for peanuts at crappy little colleges who would kill to be the voice of an NFL team. I wanted to find that guy. Not try to fit a round peg into a square hole because it’s easy, convenient, and everyone likes him.

I'm with you guys, him saying Jag-wires over and over drove me nuts. Seriously, how do people not know how to say this. Strief even said Kamara's name wrong. Dude you were ON the team with him. Its Ka-mare-rah, not Ka-MAH-rah. It's been said over and over and you are now the play by play guy and don't know this. smh

Speaking of Jagwires......want to play a drinking game to it? Seriously.....it's so bad....I have to post the halftime for you guys.

garic sucks - MP3 Download, Play, Listen Songs - 4shared - Jay Peel

Anyways, I like Zach....and for a beginner, I mean, he did it. My biggest problem isn't his description of the play. Even if it's horrible, it will get better. He just does NOT have a voice for radio. Sorry, you just don't dude. He just has a very boring tone. I'll keep trying to give it a chance, but if I don't have a sudden change by the end of the preseason.....I really think I'll give up listening to the radio feed. It makes me sad. I've listened every Sunday for probably the last 30 years. I loved Jim. Never was a big Hokie fan....Deuce is ok. I'm just not a fan of hiring former players for these roles. I want to hear smooth talking, knowledgeable pros like Joel Meyers, even in the color role.

As I disliked many thing with WWL...there were still things I did like...and sadly....I think that's all changed now. At least there's Mike D on the Point After on Monday's. I'm truly depressed. Part of my football routine looks to be forever changed. :(

The parent company of WWL needs to CLEAN HOUSE. Management on down...it's being run like amateurs.

And no, we are not overreacting. I'd love to see anything said anywhere that people disliked Jim when he started. Are you kidding, the guy was a well liked sports guy on TV who then got the radio gig and has a great voice. Saying that is just silly. Plus the NFL wasn't close to what it is now back then, people didn't really flinch about changes like this. I mean sure, I was bummed when Archie wasn't on it anymore. I loved hearing him on the radio as a kid, but there was nothing like this when they replaced him.

All we can do is all just stop listening...hopefully the ratings go down...stay down...and changes are made. But I doubt it, most radio listeners in the area will just take whatever slop is served to them and say thank you.

Last edited:
he will be good - for decades. he'll struggle at first. give him time. it's obvious he has the natural ability and the instincts.

And no, we are not overreacting. I'd love to see anything said anywhere that people disliked Jim when he started. Are you kidding, the guy was a well liked sports guy on TV who then got the radio gig and has a great voice. Saying that is just silly.

Actually James, the person who said that was “mis-remembering” ? Hondo took the place of Hap Glaudi on WWL-TV. Mr. Hap was a New Orleans icon. I remember driving home from work down Rampart St. and seeing protesters picketing outside of WWL-TV’s studios and on the neutral ground. They where really fired up! I watched the game on TV and didn’t have access to my laptop to hear Zach, but did hear some of the “highlights” after the game...and it was pretty rough. Look, we’ve been spoiled by Wester, Mack, and, most of all, by Hondo. Zach loves this city, is in awe of Hondo, and no one will work harder to improve. I liken this thread to the “so and so” draft pick is a complete bust after just one preseason game threads.
Let’s give Zach a chance!

Maybe I’ve been missing out but I’ve never listened to anything but the TV guys during games. Not a single time have I ever listened to a radio feed of the game. I don’t even do talk radio. Perhaps I’m just weird in those ways lol.

I haven't listened to the first half yet because I missed most of it, but I thought he did just fine in the 2nd half. He'll develop a style of his own in time. Gotta keep in mind, this is not just some goober, he has a broadcasting degree, he is a smart dude. He'll be fine.

I'm with you guys, him saying Jag-wires over and over drove me nuts. Seriously, how do people not know how to say this. Strief even said Kamara's name wrong. Dude you were ON the team with him. Its Ka-mare-rah, not Ka-MAH-rah. It's been said over and over and you are now the play by play guy and don't know this. smh

Speaking of Jagwires......want to play a drinking game to it? Seriously.....it's so bad....I have to post the halftime for you guys.

garic sucks - MP3 Download, Play, Listen Songs - 4shared - Jay Peel

Anyways, I like Zach....and for a beginner, I mean, he did it. My biggest problem isn't his description of the play. Even if it's horrible, it will get better. He just does NOT have a voice for radio. Sorry, you just don't dude. He just has a very boring tone. I'll keep trying to give it a chance, but if I don't have a sudden change by the end of the preseason.....I really think I'll give up listening to the radio feed. It makes me sad. I've listened every Sunday for probably the last 30 years. I loved Jim. Never was a big Hokie fan....Deuce is ok. I'm just not a fan of hiring former players for these roles. I want to hear smooth talking, knowledgeable pros like Joel Meyers, even in the color role.

As I disliked many thing with WWL...there were still things I did like...and sadly....I think that's all changed now. At least there's Mike D on the Point After on Monday's. I'm truly depressed. Part of my football routine looks to be forever changed. :(

The parent company of WWL needs to CLEAN HOUSE. Management on down...it's being run like amateurs.

And no, we are not overreacting. I'd love to see anything said anywhere that people disliked Jim when he started. Are you kidding, the guy was a well liked sports guy on TV who then got the radio gig and has a great voice. Saying that is just silly. Plus the NFL wasn't close to what it is now back then, people didn't really flinch about changes like this. I mean sure, I was bummed when Archie wasn't on it anymore. I loved hearing him on the radio as a kid, but there was nothing like this when they replaced him.

All we can do is all just stop listening...hopefully the ratings go down...stay down...and changes are made. But I doubt it, most radio listeners in the area will just take whatever slop is served to them and say thank you.

You are way over-reacting after one pre-season game.

Strief did fine from a technical point of view and I'm sure he'll get better, but he doesn't have a distinctive radio 'voice'. He just sounds like another guy.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom