Zach Strief’s first Game (1 Viewer)

Contriving a radio voice seems to be really common. Not sure why Strief wouldn't do it "semi-naturally" as he gets experience and gains fluency.

You think his first game call ever will be the best he ever gets?
As far as his voice is concerened, yes. I don’t think it’ll change much unless he goes into a contrived radio voice.
His technique will improve.

Once upon a time I worked for a minor league hockey team. Our sponsorship department and broadcasting department worked closely together. I directed our sponsorship activities and sat in on PBP broadcast interviews. Forget content and ability to process the situation, after one word we would have thanked a guy like Zack for coming in and very quickly thereafter informed him that he was no longer being considered. There are professionals who can do it all, even at the minor league level, no reason to hire a guy with blatant weaknesses. At the NFL level, it's unfathomable. But then again, its WWL we're talking about.

Sorry Dan but, what are you talking about? They have nothing but cheat sheets laying all over with the names of players... coaches.. referees... sponsors.. stuff that's coming up later in the broadcast... and a million other things.

I know they do, but the real time time PLAY BY PLAY cannot be done from a cheat sheet.. They have to know the players in advance and make the call AS IT HAPPENS. Between play filler and play stoppages are when the cheat sheets are used. You can't call a real-time play from a cheat sheet.

A play ends and the play clock is reset. Personnel are swapped out the team breaks the huddle and you have make the play call in real time. It's tougher than you think.

Ok, I'm the one here advocating that it is ridiculously tough job and not just anybody can do it and put ALL of the elements together. Not just the technical side. (which he doesn't have down yet either, but will get better by repetition) I know how it works.

Just so you don't think I'm talking out of my butt I worked for 4 1/2 years as an engineer at WASO in Covington. Talk radio format and we produced the live broadcast for the Covington football games every season. Had a couple of shows on KSLU in the early 90's and worked in a lot of the most popular nightclubs in and around the Greater N.O. area for the last 30 years. While I respect your opinion we are just going to have to agree to disagree on this. I personally think it was a mistake but there is no sense beating a dead horse in the ground. I hope he can turn it around, but he's got big shoes to fill and a LOT of work to do.

Last edited:
Zach has a long way to go, but he will self-evaluate, practice, and get better. Will he ever be great? Probably not, but he'll get a lot better, and he will be liked and respected.

I remember in the early days of Jim Henderson, I was annoyed by, what I perceived to be, a shrill and nasal voice. It definitely grew on me and then mellowed as he aged and became more settled in the position. Zach is a bright guy and he is definitely experiencing a trail by fire. He'll get better and better and when he gets more comfortable in the role, he'll be able to inject more of himself into the broadcast and it will be more personal and I truly believe that will come across to the fans.

Zach Strief's 2nd game was much improved by leaps and bounds, I admit. He did really good with his timing the call ... still not used to his tone and inflection but I'm stepping away from the side of the bridge and giving him his props. fwiw

he's doing fine. he will end up being very good, have this job for two decades, and eventually grow into a beloved local figure. watch.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom