Zack Baun: Is He Ready? (1 Viewer)

DerrickB

Subscribing Member
VIP Subscribing Member
VIP Contributor
Approved Blogger
Reaction score
When linebacker Zack Baun was selected in the third round of the 2020 NFL Draft, many expected him to elevate the Saints linebacker group. So far, that has not happened. In Baun’s rookie season, the majority of his time was spent on special teams. The standout linebacker out of Wisconsin only saw 82 snaps as a member of the defensive unit.

Well, Saints drafting Werner in the 2nd round, kind off spells the end to Baun. Unless he really takes advantage of his meager playing time, or Werner hits a snag.
Not really we lost 2 LBS this year. Anzalone and Alexander. Baun was used a lot as a DE in college and was learning a new position last year with almost no training camp.

We only have 1 proven starter at LB this year (Davis) and after Werner, Baun and Eliis the rest of the depth is 1st and 2nd year UDFA's. This isn't the end of Baun.

Last edited:
Well, Saints drafting Werner in the 2nd round, kind off spells the end to Baun. Unless he really takes advantage of his meager playing time, or Werner hits a snag.
That’s not how it works. If you get a guy in the third who contributes more than just teams, that’s lagniappe. You don’t throw in the towel on a guy that quick and I know the Saints haven’t.

Not really we lost 2 LBS this year. Anzalone and Alexander. Baun was used a lot as a DE in college and was learning a new position last year with almost no training camp.

That gets him a pass for the first half of the season, but not the second half. You'd expect to see more out of him the second half of the season if he were going to be anything more than a special teams player. It's not like the Saints are loaded with talent at the LB position outside of DD.

Don’t think Werner really affects Baun. In the base Baun would play SAM because he’s better at taking on blockers because he played end. In the nickel Werner would switch to Sam to cover the tight end and damario would probably play weak side and cover the RB or blitz

Last edited:
I wish the Saints would stop drafting players to learn new positions. The draft is already a crap shoot and that only seems to make the odds worse.
This. Odd for them to not realize that physical tools don't always equate to production at the next level. He's a good athlete and I remember a play when he showed good sideline to sideline speed. I think he will do better than some believe.

I wish the Saints would stop drafting players to learn new positions. The draft is already a crap shoot and that only seems to make the odds worse.
I’m not sure if that is what they set out to do, but I agree with your statement

• 1Like
Reactions: MV2

We only have 1 proven starter at LB this year (Davis) and after Werner, Baun and Eliis the rest of the depth is 1st and 2nd year UDFA's. This isn't the end of Baun.
Baun is probably back of the pack tbh

It's Werner's job to lose.
BET !

I think Werner is going to cross-train (as many Saints do) at both WILL and MIKE… and the plan (at this point) is to have Baun ready to take over WILL when Werner takes over MIKE…

The reality is Davis is 32 years-old… and he likely isn’t long for the league until he starts to slow down and decline.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom