Zack Baun: Is He Ready? (1 Viewer)

Until we draft an actual blue-chip (not a guy that was on the same team as the guy we wanted) 1st round LB this pattern will continue underwhelming guys drafted at the position.

Last edited:
I wish the Saints would stop drafting players to learn new positions. The draft is already a crap shoot and that only seems to make the odds worse.
Way I see it, you maximize your chances this way. We clearly took a guy based on his grade and wanted to figure out where he can play later.

We shouldn’t be dependent on a 3rd rounder to save us anyway.

This may clear up some of the confusion on what role Baun will play on defense.
😬
That article paints Baun as pretty much a total long-shot. The Saints drafted Werner to be the WILL… and Davis is the leader of the defense for another 2-3 seasons minimum.

The fact Baun is being asked to make another position switch after his rookie season appears to be bad news.

Baun could be a more expensive Kikaha when it’s all said and done 🤦‍♂️

Last edited:
Baun was a pass rusher in college. Why didn’t the Saints use him in that role? There were games where a sack or two what have made a huge difference. Especially the Bucs playoff game. The second in season Bucs game, the D was all over Brady and it ended up being a blowout. In the playoffs the Bucs went max-protect. An extra, talented pass rusher may have made a difference.

Way I see it, you maximize your chances this way. We clearly took a guy based on his grade and wanted to figure out where he can play later.

I get it that the Saints take BPA. But what good is the grade that you gave him after reviewing his collegiate career when you won’t be playing him in the same spot that he was graded in?

I wish the Saints would stop drafting players to learn new positions. The draft is already a crap shoot and that only seems to make the odds worse.
I agree and I hope this is not the case for Baun. The Saints have drafted a few guys who though talented did not project well on the team and with Baun being a rush end/linebacker to place him as a Will at the NFL level is asking alot and why Werner may unseat him early based off experience alone.

I like Baun and hope he does well. But he would be better suited in a 3-4 defense as a OLB. Hopefully he can pick up the WLB position quickly and run with it. I thought DA had said he wanted versatile players so he could run multiple fronts a few years ago. What happened to that? I haven't seen much of that. Baun would be good as an OLB rushing the passer in a 3-Man front on passing downs, as sort of the old Pat Swilling role.

All of our best picks have been players that are playing their natural collegiate position. Only pro bowl/all-pro players are capable of playing multiple positions without much of a drop off in production like Ramcyzk.

Lattimore, Marcus Williams, CJGJ, Hendrickson, and McCoy are all playing the same positions that they played in college.

Ummmmm…..

we have depended on AK41 (3rd rd) and Ceedy (4th rd pick) to save our butts on many occasions.

With the depth and so many question marks at LB, Baun will be in the mix. They are gravitating to a more fast, attacking, simpler D and I feel will be looking at working the personnel strengths into scheme. At least that is what should do since already drafted, released and brought in UDFA and FA's that are fitting that direction. There is definitely no more "heavy lunch bunch". Baun has shown to be good at point of attack in run support and can pressure. If they can truly utilize/scheme strengths, you could see a lot of rotation and situational positions for Baun. They have done that with Ceedy Deuce to optimize his strengths and I would like to see them utilize Baun for what he can do best (although, yes, his skill set is not as high and diverse as CD). I feel we will see some interesting wrinkles with the D this season. You can't underestimate the joy and importance of an almost actual mini-camp and preseason games. As someone mentioned, we won't really know where he will fit in and produce until the season gets underway, but I think he is going to be in the mix and a tailored role. I don't see them just throwing him in "sink or swim" at a definite, permanent position (if so, it is by title only). Once they see where everyone is at, and through the season, there will be adjustments, changes and some surprises on D this year. It will take almost until mid season, I project until we truly find our identity on D.

All of our best picks have been players that are playing their natural collegiate position. Only pro bowl/all-pro players are capable of playing multiple positions without much of a drop off in production like Ramcyzk.

Lattimore, Marcus Williams, CJGJ, Hendrickson, and McCoy are all playing the same positions that they played in college.
I see where you are coming from, but CJGJ has been put into an almost hybrid position/role with us. He isn't a deep field S or an outside DB. Some positions translate i.e. TOP QB, WR, RB, true Safeties, true shutdown corners, etc. There is a LOT of variance and interchanging from college LB, DE and smaller "tweener" DT's to their roles in the NFL. Bigger LB's float into other positions along the line in the NFL, as well. By default, you don't see as many of those guys just be inserted at their college position and excel unless they are elite and can't be unseated due to amazing talent. OL have more flexibility to move around some, too...and they do, again unless just already pretty GREAT at their position. Elite is just ELITE. There is a decent list of players who switched positions from college to NFL that became very successful at a different position than they were drafted, as well.

We also don't run a lot of just "base" 3/4 or 4/3...a lot of 2 LB looks with safeties crashing or pressure looks from different players/positions. There are a lot of schemes were a LB or DE are almost interchangeable and will be taking assignments that are sort of flexible between the 2. I like that approach and works into utilizing personnel, which I hope we continue to do. It is a harder read pre-snap, too. We have had a problem with COVERAGE more than anything on "LB" assignments more than anything....hence, a lot of 3 safety looks.

On another note, we have had a dirge at LB and even when had a really good LB squad over more modern times, we were thin behind the good players...an injury away. It is frustrating having this be so prominent. It is tough to have extreme solidity at all 3 levels of the D at one time, but MAN... I hope when the time comes for us to have a great LB squad, we aren't slacking on DB and DL...LOL.

I see where you are coming from, but CJGJ has been put into an almost hybrid position/role with us. He isn't a deep field S or an outside DB. Some positions translate i.e. TOP QB, WR, RB, true Safeties, true shutdown corners, etc. There is a LOT of variance and interchanging from college LB, DE and smaller "tweener" DT's to their roles in the NFL. Bigger LB's float into other positions along the line in the NFL, as well. By default, you don't see as many of those guys just be inserted at their college position and excel unless they are elite and can't be unseated due to amazing talent. OL have more flexibility to move around some, too...and they do, again unless just already pretty GREAT at their position. Elite is just ELITE. There is a decent list of players who switched positions from college to NFL that became very successful at a different position than they were drafted, as well.

We also don't run a lot of just "base" 3/4 or 4/3...a lot of 2 LB looks with safeties crashing or pressure looks from different players/positions. There are a lot of schemes were a LB or DE are almost interchangeable and will be taking assignments that are sort of flexible between the 2. I like that approach and works into utilizing personnel, which I hope we continue to do. It is a harder read pre-snap, too. We have had a problem with COVERAGE more than anything on "LB" assignments more than anything....hence, a lot of 3 safety looks.

On another note, we have had a dirge at LB and even when had a really good LB squad over more modern times, we were thin behind the good players...an injury away. It is frustrating having this be so prominent. It is tough to have extreme solidity at all 3 levels of the D at one time, but MAN... I hope when the time comes for us to have a great LB squad, we aren't slacking on DB and DL...LOL.
Agree! CJGJ is playing the same role he had in college. He played a lot as an in the box slot cover safety rather than a deep safety at Florida.

I like Baun and hope he does well. But he would be better suited in a 3-4 defense as a OLB. Hopefully he can pick up the WLB position quickly and run with it. I thought DA had said he wanted versatile players so he could run multiple fronts a few years ago. What happened to that? I haven't seen much of that. Baun would be good as an OLB rushing the passer in a 3-Man front on passing downs, as sort of the old Pat Swilling role.
Had to get back to basics and the defense has been playing fast and free ever since.

The multiple sets theory hurts defenses because the players do more thinking about their assignment in said package than they do lining up and just playing ball.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom