ZDNet Reports: Vista SP1 install, 52 minutes, 5 reboots (1 Viewer)

The SP1 update installed without a hitch. 13 minutes of downloading, a couple of reboots...I took a shower and went to bed. All's well.

All's not so well in the Vista world though.

ULCPC - Ultra Low Cost Personal Computer

ZDNet
Vista fiasco continues with retreat to XP
Posted by Robin Harris
April 4, 2008

Microsoft’s announcement yesterday of the “Extended Availability of Windows XP Home for ULCPCs” is more evidence that the Windows Vista fiasco is still growing.

Microsoft is scrambling to stay relevant in a world where they are no longer the only game in town. Can’t let Linux become the default OS for low-cost systems, can we?

READ MORE
Storage Bits mobile edition

i installed SP1 a few days ago, and then my machine wouldnt load the OS. it said files were missing, so i had to put my disc in to recover the OS. i havent tried to reinstall SP1 yet, ill probably try this weekend. i set it to install the first time and then went to bed, so the machine may have lost power or something, causing the install the be incomplete. ill pay closer attention this time and see what happens.

OK, I got my computer on March 28, 2008 and it has Vista on it. First time I could not get my printer to work, then downloaded the update for it and all is well. SP1 for it, hmmmm only 2 reboots and everything is working pretty well. The wife loves it, and this is after her friend bought a Toshiba Laptop back in May 2007 and since then has had to reformat the hard drive 5 times. I do not see how she was able to save anything from thing each time reformatting the thing.
Paul

No problem with SP1 during install. However, I noticed that its locked up a few times when accessing a network share on my main XP machine. Its never done that one before.

The wife loves it, and this is after her friend bought a Toshiba Laptop back in May 2007 and since then has had to reformat the hard drive 5 times.

May 2007? She's got one of the early OEM Vista machines. Back then, Toshiba and most other brands tried to scrape by with the minimum specs Microsoft had put out for Vista.

In many cases, the RAM, processor and bus speeds just weren't up to the job. Vista takes more resources to run it than Microsoft originally said.

Initially, they said you could run it OK on 512mb of RAM. We all know that's a crock! I'm running my laptop with 2GB.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom