ZDNet Reports: Vista SP1 install, 52 minutes, 5 reboots (1 Viewer)

DadsDream

Dreaming of a SAINTS Super Bowl!
Reaction score
ZDNet
February 7th, 2008
Vista SP1 - Day 1
Posted by Adrian Kingsley-Hughes @ 10:36 am

On Monday the 4th of February Microsoft announced that Windows Vista Service Pack 1 had been released to manufacturing. Although the code has been finalized, Windows Vista users won’t start to get their hands for a few weeks. I’ve been fortunate to be sent the SP1 installer files, along with a complete copy of Vista with SP1 integrated into it. It’s time to fire up a test system and see what happens.

READ MORE, SEE THE SCREENSHOTS
http://blogs.zdnet.com/hardware/?p=1243

I downloaded one of those early sp1 releases and only had 1 or 2 reboots.
5 reboots and 52 minutes for install is ridiculous.

Vista is making Windows ME look like a halfway decent OS.

551 VISTA SP1 FIXES
Fixes Category

75 Internet Explorer
41 Sleep/Hibernation & Power Management
38 Storage
35 Hardware and Drivers
35 Networking
28 Desktop and Shell
25 Printing & Scanning Technologies
25 .NET Framework, Data Components, Development Tools
24 Setup, Deployment, Backup, and Activation
24 Windows Media Center
23 International/Localization
20 Computer Management, Administration, and Tools
19 Application Compatibility
19 Multimedia
16 Performance and Reliability
16 Startup/Shutdown
13 Time Zone/Daylight Saving Time
13 Windows Media Player and Related Technologies
12 Security
12 Remote Access, VPN
8 IIS and WebDAV issues
7 Wireless Networking
7 Offline Files
6 Windows Mail and Web-based Software
5 Windows Sidebar and SideShow
5 Windows Portable Devices

ZDNet
February 11th, 2008
Vista SP1 rolls up 551 bug fixes
Posted by Ed Bott @ 3:05 pm Categories: Windows Vista

No wonder the Wow had so much trouble getting started. By Microsoft’s own count, Windows Vista Service Pack 1 rolls up 551 separate hotfixes, in addition to 23 security updates rated Important and already delivered via Windows Update. A handful of those hotfixes were previously released via Windows Update, but most were available only to corporate customers and OEMs.

If that sounds like a lot of bugs to be stomped in one service pack, well, 551 is a pretty big number. But it’s not out of line with the number of fixes that went into the two service packs for Windows XP. The first XP service pack was delivered in September 2002, about 14 months after the original RTM date; its list of fixes included updates from 24 security bulletins and 297 hotfixes. XP Service Pack 2 covered a longer period of time (23 months), but still, its list of fixes was staggering, with updates identified by 60 security bulletins and a whopping 666 (no, I did not make that number up) fixes. (If you want to do a fair comparison between the first service packs for Vista and XP, you need to exclude a few fixes from the Vista list. Back in 2002, XP Media Center didn’t yet exist, nor did Tablet PCs, Windows Sidebar gadgets, or the .NET Framework, just to name a few categories that collectively include more than 60 fixes in Vista SP1 but weren’t needed in XP SP1.)

READ MORE
http://blogs.zdnet.com/Bott/?p=366&tag=nl.e589

Truly a screw up of Windows ME proportions. They pushed forward two "prep" files to set up Vista machines to accept Vista SP1...with disastrous endless reboot results.

Microsoft pulls Vista SP1 update
By Tom Espiner, ZDNet (UK)
Published on ZDNet News: Feb 20, 2008 11:09:00 AM

Microsoft has stopped automatically distributing a prerequisite piece of software for Vista Service Pack 1, following some customer complaints that it had caused system problems.

Servicing stack update KB937287, released last week, contained updates to Windows Vista installation software, and was billed as being "necessary to successfully install and to remove Windows Vista SP1 (Service Pack 1) on all versions of Windows Vista."

Microsoft stopped distributing the update on Wednesday, according to a blog post by Microsoft product manager Nick White.

"We've heard a few reports about problems customers may be experiencing as a result of KB937287," wrote White. "Immediately after receiving reports of this error, we made the decision to temporarily suspend automatic distribution of the update to avoid further customer impact while we investigate possible causes."

READ MORE
http://news.zdnet.com/2100-9590_22-6231299.html

Some Vista users are calling it...

Groundhog day

My Dell laptop, which is running Vista, was also caught in a never-ending and repeating update (3 of 3) loop on Sunday. The percentage completion stayed at 0%; then the system automatically re-boots and the same message re-appears in a never ending cycle.

I switched the computer off and restarted it in both normal and safe mode (both with and without network and with the command prompt option). Every time it went back into this repeating update loop.

http://www.zdnet.co.uk/talkback/0,1000001161,39327022-39001069c-20091610o,00.htm

Last edited:
Vista SP1 available now...no automatic update push until next month.

CNET
Microsoft: Vista SP1 ready for download
March 18, 2008

Well, Amazon was at least half right. As the retailer predicted, Microsoft did make Windows Vista Service Pack 1 available for download on Tuesday via Windows Update and on its Web site.

Still unclear is when it will start being available on retail shelves. Amazon said it will start shipping boxed copies with SP1 included on Wednesday, while Microsoft said it will be at retailers "as soon as April." I've asked for further clarification on the disparity, but have yet to hear back.

Meanwhile, in a posting on the Windows Vista blog, Microsoft also went into a little more detail on a previously disclosed driver problem that may prevent some drivers that work in Windows Vista from working with Service Pack 1. Microsoft also posted a list of potentially problematic drivers.

Microsoft said some drivers have already been updated to fix the incompatibility.

READ MORE
Microsoft: Vista SP1 ready for download | Beyond Binary - A blog by Ina Fried - CNET News.com

wu_sp1_small.jpg

ZDNet
Want Vista SP1? Here’s what to expect
March 18, 2008

Audio drivers

* Realtek AC’97 (Alcxwdm.sys and Alcwdm64.sys - version 6.0.1.6242 or earlier)
* SigmaTel (Sthda.sys and Sthda64.sys - version 5.10.5762.0 or earlier)
* SigmaTel (Stwrt.sys Stwrt64.sys - version 6.10.5511.0 or earlier)
* Creative Audigy (Ctaud2k.sys - version 6.0.1.1242 or earlier; P17.sys – all versions)
* Conexant HD Audio (Chdart.sys and Chdart64.sys - version 4.32.0.0 or earlier)

Biometric (Fingerprint) Sensors

* AuthenTec Fingerprint Sensor (Atswpdrv.sys – version 7.7.1.7 or earlier)
* UPEK Fingerprint Sensor (Tcusb.sys driver file – version 1.9.2.99 or earlier)

Display drivers

* Intel Display (Igdkmd32.sys and Igdkmd64.sys – versions between and including driver 7.14.10.1322 and 7.14.10.1403)

Other drivers

* Texas Instruments Smart Card Controller (GTIPCI21.sys – version 1.0.1.19 or earlier)
* Sierra Wireless AirCard 580 with the Watcher.exe application – version 3.4.0.9 or earlier
* Symantec software driver for Symantec Endpoint Protection and for Symantec Network Access Control clients (Wgx.sys and Wgx64.sys – versions 11.0.1000.1091 or earlier)

Ed Botts Microsoft Report mobile edition

i remember when win95 came out. people were all up in arms about over 500 bugs or problems.. most of them were with older Gateway Bios's, all it took to fix was a gateway bios updated and most of those were gone.. how is that a prob with w95 if a manufacture bios update fixed most problems.
everyone loves to hate the big guy.

Just installed the final release. Took around 15-20 minutes and I think I counted 2 reboots, but could've been 3. I was watching a rerun of Star Trek Voyager and wasn't paying a lot of attention.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom