Zelda: Breath of the Wild (1 Viewer)

Finished all the dragon tears and finally got the master sword last night. This is a massive game.

How did you beat phantom Ganon in the tree cave in the Kirov Forrest?
It’s frustrating me
I didn't. Instead I spent 2 hours manually finding the light dragon and placing travel medalions on all the highest spots. Mostly the diving challenges in the sky islands. Then warping and flying to cut it off. 2 full wheels of stamina required.

interesting read
==============

Breaking news: I still can’t stop playing Tears of the Kingdom. I played over 80 hours for my review, and after restarting to take it all in slower, my personal playthrough is slowly creeping towards the same milestone. This time around though I still have three temples yet to clear while side quests, shrines, and a general sense of freeform discovery take precedence. Every moment is being savoured, but deep down I know the time will come to leave this classic behind.

That eventual farewell is important though, and recognises how Tears of the Kingdom not only builds upon everything that made Breath of the Wild so special, but acknowledges how the series needed to change once again. By turning its principles of open world innovation into constant bouts of gameplay that also tout sources of open solution, no longer is Hyrule just a melancholy wasteland for Link to explore, but a landscape filled with endless possibilities.

When it comes to Zelda, greatness doubles as a reminder of complacency. Ahead of launch there was an understandable fear that Tears of the Kingdom making use of the same world, characters, and mechanical systems - except for big new powers - would make it feel like a glorified expansion. This didn’t end up coming to pass, and doubters seem to miss the point of iterative game design.

The fact Nintendo was able to take a world we had already spent hundreds of hours with and make it unrecognisable in its majesty is a crowning achievement, and still Hyrule felt like an old friend at times as you revisited old haunts with a drive to discover how things had changed. Everywhere you look sits a new discovery, or a reformed interpretation of well-worn ground waiting to be relished.

This excellence shouldn’t mean yet another game should repeat what it does well though, but instead should take its foundational innovation and apply it to new takes on these characters and a new vision of Hyrule that reshapes itself out of necessity. BOTW and TOTK couldn’t be anything except open world, and justify this excessive scope at every turn, since despite the endless amount of things to do across both games, everything you do manages to feel deliberate. No player will ever approach it in the same way, and that beauty should be a lesson Zelda carries forward into the future while continuing to abandon its own tradition............

I have now beat the rito dungeon along with the fire dungeon. I followed zero rules on the latter. I never did figure any of the puzzles. I just climbed to wherever would take me closest to the locks.

The Ihen-a shrine by the fish people is bugged for me and won't finish. This is the kind of sheet that will make me quit.

How did you beat phantom Ganon in the tree cave in the Kirov Forrest?
It’s frustrating me
climb to the highest ledge in the cave. From there rain bomb arrows and anything else that explodes. Phantom Ganon cannot reach you up there.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom