Zelda: Breath of the Wild (2 Viewers)

Ewww, Neck Beards are IN Uproar?

This.

Anything Zelda or Mario will have the neckbeards in an uproar. Zelda and Mario were good games when games sucked. Congrats. That's no longer the case.

So what you're saying is

Great reviews from the general public playing the game don't matter

Great reviews from video game sites don't matter

Great reviews from video game sites/publications that have been around for decades don't matter

Great reviews from sites that notoriously rarely give games great reviews don't matter

Great reviews from sites that have been harsh towards Nintendo games for 2 generations don't matter

"Occam's Razor is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case, the simpler one is much more likely to be true."

Explanation 1 - All these great reviews are from delusional Nintendo fanboys (neckbeards as you call them)

Explanation 2 - Zelda Breath of the Wild is genuinely a great game

What's the simpler explanation?

Attachments

• Zelda.jpg
    Zelda.jpg
    267.8 KB · Views: 10
Wait, I need my serious face.

kanye-srsly.jpg

Some people like horse crap ... and some people are just full of it. Doesn't mean the game is no good, though.

I have no idea if it's any good. I also don't plan on ever finding out. I just want to make people cry about it.

My brother picked up my Switch and physical copy of Zelda today. (he works at Target) He complained about standing in line with all the neckbeards for me.

So what you're saying is

Great reviews from the general public playing the game don't matter

Great reviews from video game sites don't matter

Great reviews from video game sites/publications that have been around for decades don't matter

Great reviews from sites that notoriously rarely give games great reviews don't matter

Great reviews from sites that have been harsh towards Nintendo games for 2 generations don't matter

"Occam's Razor is a principle from philosophy. Suppose there exist two explanations for an occurrence. In this case, the simpler one is much more likely to be true."

Explanation 1 - All these great reviews are from delusional Nintendo fanboys (neckbeards as you call them)

Explanation 2 - Zelda Breath of the Wild is genuinely a great game

What's the simpler explanation?

Yeah, that's what I'm saying.

This isn't a big deal. Just play the game and see how you feel about it. Or don't.

But if you aren't actively playing the games I'm not sure what the point of criticizing them is. For my money I'll say that Nintendo's games tend to have a style, polish and feel that other developers really struggle to come close to. I completely understand the criticisms of their hardware and business models. I share them. And Nintendo is a solid number 2 system behind the PS4 for me. But there's a reason I ordered the Switch to replace the Wii U, even after being disappointed in the execution of the Wii U. And it isn't because the games used to be good.

This isn't a big deal. Just play the game and see how you feel about it. Or don't.

But if you aren't actively playing the games I'm not sure what the point of criticizing them is. For my money I'll say that Nintendo's games tend to have a style, polish and feel that other developers really struggle to come close to. I completely understand the criticisms of their hardware and business models. I share them. And Nintendo is a solid number 2 system behind the PS4 for me. But there's a reason I ordered the Switch to replace the Wii U, even after being disappointed in the execution of the Wii U. And it isn't because the games used to be good.

I just want to know what makes this game so special?? how does it set itself apart from other games in the genre??

it's being hailed as one of the greatest games ever made....I just find that hard to believe that it does anything different or new other than being a new Zelda game

if it was not a Zelda game, would people even care about it???

You can sift through the 10 out of 10s and 0 out of 10s on Meta and get better reviews.

Kayno Mar 4, 2017
I originally gave this game an 8, but the more i play, the more i start to feel that this game is a huge dissapointment. Most of the time is spent running around aimlessly in the empty world, while the rest of the time is spent hitting enemies with a sword over and over again. Not to mention every enemy in the game is pretty much the same, but with different colours and skins. The game overall can be a lot of fun at times, but these times are so rare compared to the boring and repetitive ones. The framerate drops are also something that definitely brings this game down, as it is too noticeable to just brush off. I really don't understand the praise this game is getting, especially since it doesn't have enough variety or innovation to call it a "masterpiece". I will say that the art style is very pleasing in certain areas, as there are some places where this game looks gorgeous. The story is also very interesting with some really nice voice acting, and the game does give a great sense of adventure.

Razv Mar 3, 2017
Not as good as the critics make you think it is, but overall a pretty good game. The story is not excellent, the combat could use some more polishing, but the world created is simply marvelous.

Going into Breath of the Wild, based on just the online reviews and videos alone, I was expecting one of the most epic Legend of Zelda games to date, unfortunately that really isn't the case and previous entries in the game series end up faring better in comparasion.

I think one of the bigger issues stem from the fact that the developers lost sight of the core game when they started moving it into "open world" territory. The developers became more engrossed in that concept than what really makes a Zelda title a Zelda title to begin with.

When compared to other games in the franchise, the selection of enemies is shallow compared to what we usually come to expect from the series. Generally these games tend to have a wide selection of enenmies that change based on the dungeon and region of the game. With Breath of the Wild, we are seeing a lot less unique enemies and instead a lot of re-colored or re-skinned enemies as a direct result. This wouldn't be horrible if it was expected, like with titles such as Dragon Quest. But in a Legend of Zelda game, it's a bit of a disappointment.

The story isn't nearly as grand as it has been in the past. And while I haven't actually beat the game yet, I have found myself not nearly as invested or interested as I would have from previous titles in the series. A lot of times it feels as though the story element of the game was tacked on as an afterthought.

The game play is also equally shallow when compared to other games in the franchise. Yes, there's a lot of weapons you can collect, but considering their frequency of appearance and the fact many of them will break over time, they are really underwhelming. None of them feel nearly as powerful or epic as you'd expect from a Zelda title. Remember all the neat tools you'd get in other Zelda titles? Nonexistent. Don't expect to find cool tools such as the hook-shot, it doesn't exist. I think this is one of the things that hurts the game the most.

There are no heart pieces....

There's a severe lack of music in the game.

Myon-Neutrino Mar 4, 2017
People seem to polarize way too much here. If you don´t agree that BotW is "the best game ever made" and "totally worth 10/10", expect to be insulted, calling you a Sony/Xbox Disciple. To be honest, I´m PC Gamer nowadays and don´t even own PS or XBOX Consoles, but grew up in the SNES-Era and played every Nintendo Console and Zelda Games since. Now I tried the Switch-Version of BotW, I´m about 10 hours in. It is NOT A Masterpiece. It´s NOT "the best game ever made" and it´s NOT worth beeing rated 10/10. It´s a solid Open World game and of course it´s fun to play it. It´s a worthy successor to many previous Zelda Titles, such as Twilight Princess and provides a good gameplay experience, ok graphics and the typical Zelda-Feeling you´d expect from the franchise. Well designed, huge world. But on the other hand, it´s far away from beeing perfect and that should be obvious! Weapons break way to frequently, the inventory and menu handling takes too much time, switching weapons or Slate Skills simply takes too long and is not very intuitive. Speaking of the slate, that thing doesn´t offer too many features. Even "A Link to the past" had more specific Items which brought a much wider variation to the game. You find Bows all the time, but getting Arrows is a pain in the *** and extremely expensive. Why even implementing Bows at all if the´re not utilized because of constant lack of arrows? There aren´t too many different enemy types as well, you got severe frame drops every here and then (reminds me of the unbearable slowdown of NES games back in the days...) and in conclusion, I truly can´t understand those Critic review rankings of 98... Zelda: BotW is good, but not THAT great

Lost me there m8

I think Mongoose is the official Dreamcast guy

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom