Zero chance Brees gets benched (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrah

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Seeing several people discussing this.

You have to understand that we will go 1-15 before benching Brees. The only way it happens is if Payton is fired and someone comes in and benched him.

I personally agree- it’s been a long ride but in cases of legends, you go down with the ship once the season has started

The only recent exception I can think of is Eli getting benched- but Brees is viewed differently

Reaction score
He doesn't need to get benched.

But what does need to happen is embrace a total and dynamic 2 qb system and give taysom the ability to breathe life into this offense on a consistent basis. We are way more dangerous with taysom at qb with the endless possibilities of how we can attack and spread the field.

Drew is still needed to maintain balance, accuracy and wise decision making ability and can still bring an effective offense. But it gets stale and lacks energy.

OP

SaintsBrah

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
He doesn't need to get benched.

But what does need to happen is embrace a total and dynamic 2 qb system and give taysom the ability to breathe life into this offense on a consistent basis. We are way more dangerous with taysom at qb with the endless possibilities of how we can attack and spread the field.

Drew is still needed to maintain balance, accuracy and wise decision making ability and can still bring an effective offense. But it gets stale and lacks energy.
Agree completely.

The lack of Taysom last night was baffling

Reaction score
If Brees gets benched, it will probably be from a mild/fake injury. I believe if Taysom does well, Drew will play along with the narrative and bow out gracefully. He even said last year, that whatever part he has to play he will, even if it meant reducing his snaps. I'm sure I recall him saying that at one point.

No2DC

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Who said he was gonna get benched? The only way Drew sits is an injury like last year.

jbourque

Super Forum Fanatic
Gold VIP Contributor
Reaction score
I would prefer a run first offense with Murray and play action with "whomever" than dink & dunk first.

jesusfish

HA HA HA HA HA HAAAAA!!!!
Reaction score
As inaccurate as Drew has been (the lack of deep balls is nothing new, it's the inaccuracy that is different this year), I still believe he gives us the best chance to win. I don't think Taysom is a full-time QB in this offense. We'd need to redesign the offense to his strengths. Winston his by far the best thrower at the moment, but reports on Winston in camp weren't great, and his turnover problems would really hurt us.

BelowZero

Professional Troll
Reaction score
If you assume Brees keeps playing this way, his stats will basically match Eli's by the fourth game. How is Brees viewed differently versus a two-time Superbowl winner, exactly? He isn't and shouldn't be. The Giants had the nads to bench him when father time caught up to him, and if the Saints want any chance at winning more than 7 games this season, they need to put Hill or Winston in. I'm pretty sure that'll come at some point after getting slaughtered by the Packers.

Literally the only reason to keep Brees in right now is to fight it out with Carolina for Trevor Lawrence.

KaYoTiiC

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Brees doesn’t need to be benched he needs to give some snaps to Taysom Hill. It’s proven last year that when he’s in the game our offense is at its very best. I’m not talking those stupid little pitches or short runs. I’m talking Taysom Hill getting the same throws Brees would, only past 10-15 yard check downs.

When Teddy took over last year he was taking shots down the field that Brees normally wouldnt. I miss that, teams aren’t fearing Brees’ arm anymore. If Brees didn’t have Kamara idk how bad he actually would’ve looked last night.

Reaction score
If you assume Brees keeps playing this way, his stats will basically match Eli's by the fourth game. How is Brees viewed differently versus a two-time Superbowl winner, exactly? He isn't and shouldn't be. The Giants had the nads to bench him when father time caught up to him, and if the Saints want any chance at winning more than 7 games this season, they need to put Hill or Winston in. I'm pretty sure that'll come at some point after getting slaughtered by the Packers.

Literally the only reason to keep Brees in right now is to fight it out with Carolina for Trevor Lawrence.
Seriously, is that literally the only reason? You've seen everything you need to see from your HoF QB after two games?

Manning wasn't getting it done well before he was benched. He was benched the first time in 2017, then came back. Here was his stat line the year before:
252 y/g; 63.0 cmpl%; 4.3 TD%; 2.7 INT%; 86.0 Rating
It didn't get better after a media uproar forced them back into playing him.

Now here is Brees last year:
270 y/g; 74.3 cmpl%; 7.1 TD%; 1.1 INT%; 116.3 Rating

Yeah, pretty big difference.

If you are wondering Brees' slow 2 game start has been better then the last 4 years of Eli Mannings career. Actually it has been better than most years of Eli's career.

Last edited:
Reaction score
I don't want to see Brees benched. I honestly rather see the Saints lose than see Brees go out like that. But if the Saints are going to be competitive this year, they have to figure out ways to manufacture offense and Brees is incredibly limited right now.

Reaction score
Overreaction is running rampant in this board, I've been lurking for years but goodness, can we all take a breath and realize this is just one game that was played without the best WR in the league. Drew sucked last night, we can all agree on that but he has sucky games here and there throughout the last 3 years, nothing really new.

Drew grew too reliant on MT and it shows in his trust with the other receivers. MT otherworldliness as a receiver has raised Drew's expectations for the receivers, while realizing he ain't the QB be used to be. With his doubt in himself and the average WR group he's not confident in what he's seeing, that will change with time while MT is out.

It wasn't a good game but let's take into account Drew's over reliance on MT the last few years and him having to readjust. This is not the end, 12-4 this year, no bye but this team will get it together. Who Dat!

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 1)

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Gentilly504 I was wrong. Saints do have a chance to make the Super Bowl. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 26
12 years in, Saints' Malcolm Jenkins still sees each new week as a chance to play faster Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Tom Brady now one touchdown pass behind Drew Brees’ career record Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees Air Stats Over 10 Yards Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 50
Dan in Lafayette Saints mainstays Brees, Jordan, Morstead climbing higher in team record books SR News Page Articles 0
Saints should start Jameis over Brees during an 'easy' 4-game stretch - Domonique Foxworth Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 116
Darren B Jeff Duncan book - Payton and Brees Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 9
Marty_Graw Brees purchases Condo on Canal St Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 74
Drew Brees buys luxury Canal Street condo, celebrity news site reports Saints RSS News Feeds 0
jasonsw Brees last 4 games Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 87
Dan in Lafayette Brees gratified by Sanders' rising role in Saints offense SR News Page Articles 0
Krodwhodat Drew Brees and the Oline Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 15
BREENO Drew Brees has been throwing passes at receivers feet all year long. Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 17
Drew Brees improves to 4-0 against the Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees on Michael Thomas suspension: “We’re going to be all good” Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees’ Saints somehow get win over Herbert’s Chargers Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Drew Brees addresses Michael Thomas suspension: 'We're going to be all good' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Brees leads 17-point rally as Saints win 'wild one' Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Dan in Lafayette Drew Brees "feel crazy" after New Orleans Saints punish Los Angeles Chargers 30-27 Week 5 SR News Page Articles 0
Dan in Lafayette Saints vs. Chargers score: Drew Brees rallies New Orleans to overtime win over Justin Herbert and Los Angeles SR News Page Articles 0
Saint Kamara Herbert should now have beaten Brees, Brady and Mahomes Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 33
What if Drew Brees has a change of heart and wants to return for 2021? Do we risk losing Jameis like we did with Teddy or do we honor Drew's wish Saints Super Forum (Main Board) 99
After facing Tom Brady, Chargers rookie Justin Herbert takes on Drew Brees, Saints Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Walker: Drew Brees looks to stay perfect against Chargers team that drafted him in 2001 Saints RSS News Feeds 0
Week 5 Bold Predictions - Drew Brees to have a big game? Saints RSS News Feeds 0