Zero chance Brees gets benched (1 Viewer)

SaintsBrah

Pro-Bowler
Reaction score
Seeing several people discussing this.

You have to understand that we will go 1-15 before benching Brees. The only way it happens is if Payton is fired and someone comes in and benched him.

I personally agree- it’s been a long ride but in cases of legends, you go down with the ship once the season has started

The only recent exception I can think of is Eli getting benched- but Brees is viewed differently

He doesn't need to get benched.

But what does need to happen is embrace a total and dynamic 2 qb system and give taysom the ability to breathe life into this offense on a consistent basis. We are way more dangerous with taysom at qb with the endless possibilities of how we can attack and spread the field.

Drew is still needed to maintain balance, accuracy and wise decision making ability and can still bring an effective offense. But it gets stale and lacks energy.

He doesn't need to get benched.

But what does need to happen is embrace a total and dynamic 2 qb system and give taysom the ability to breathe life into this offense on a consistent basis. We are way more dangerous with taysom at qb with the endless possibilities of how we can attack and spread the field.

Drew is still needed to maintain balance, accuracy and wise decision making ability and can still bring an effective offense. But it gets stale and lacks energy.

Agree completely.

The lack of Taysom last night was baffling

If Brees gets benched, it will probably be from a mild/fake injury. I believe if Taysom does well, Drew will play along with the narrative and bow out gracefully. He even said last year, that whatever part he has to play he will, even if it meant reducing his snaps. I'm sure I recall him saying that at one point.

Who said he was gonna get benched? The only way Drew sits is an injury like last year.

I would prefer a run first offense with Murray and play action with "whomever" than dink & dunk first.

As inaccurate as Drew has been (the lack of deep balls is nothing new, it's the inaccuracy that is different this year), I still believe he gives us the best chance to win. I don't think Taysom is a full-time QB in this offense. We'd need to redesign the offense to his strengths. Winston his by far the best thrower at the moment, but reports on Winston in camp weren't great, and his turnover problems would really hurt us.

If you assume Brees keeps playing this way, his stats will basically match Eli's by the fourth game. How is Brees viewed differently versus a two-time Superbowl winner, exactly? He isn't and shouldn't be. The Giants had the nads to bench him when father time caught up to him, and if the Saints want any chance at winning more than 7 games this season, they need to put Hill or Winston in. I'm pretty sure that'll come at some point after getting slaughtered by the Packers.

Literally the only reason to keep Brees in right now is to fight it out with Carolina for Trevor Lawrence.

Brees doesn’t need to be benched he needs to give some snaps to Taysom Hill. It’s proven last year that when he’s in the game our offense is at its very best. I’m not talking those stupid little pitches or short runs. I’m talking Taysom Hill getting the same throws Brees would, only past 10-15 yard check downs.

When Teddy took over last year he was taking shots down the field that Brees normally wouldnt. I miss that, teams aren’t fearing Brees’ arm anymore. If Brees didn’t have Kamara idk how bad he actually would’ve looked last night.

I haven't seen anyone with any particular credibility saying it's time to bench Brees.

If you assume Brees keeps playing this way, his stats will basically match Eli's by the fourth game. How is Brees viewed differently versus a two-time Superbowl winner, exactly? He isn't and shouldn't be. The Giants had the nads to bench him when father time caught up to him, and if the Saints want any chance at winning more than 7 games this season, they need to put Hill or Winston in. I'm pretty sure that'll come at some point after getting slaughtered by the Packers.

Literally the only reason to keep Brees in right now is to fight it out with Carolina for Trevor Lawrence.

Seriously, is that literally the only reason? You've seen everything you need to see from your HoF QB after two games?

Manning wasn't getting it done well before he was benched. He was benched the first time in 2017, then came back. Here was his stat line the year before:
252 y/g; 63.0 cmpl%; 4.3 TD%; 2.7 INT%; 86.0 Rating
It didn't get better after a media uproar forced them back into playing him.

Now here is Brees last year:
270 y/g; 74.3 cmpl%; 7.1 TD%; 1.1 INT%; 116.3 Rating

Yeah, pretty big difference.

If you are wondering Brees' slow 2 game start has been better then the last 4 years of Eli Mannings career. Actually it has been better than most years of Eli's career.

Last edited:
I don't want to see Brees benched. I honestly rather see the Saints lose than see Brees go out like that. But if the Saints are going to be competitive this year, they have to figure out ways to manufacture offense and Brees is incredibly limited right now.

I don't want him to get benched, I want Taysom to come in and get a series when the offense is stalled out for more than 2 consecutive drives. I don't see anything wrong with that.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom