Zero Passes beyond 20 yards (1 Viewer)

It could mean he's getting rid of the ball quickly due to lack of confidence behind the OL. Or it could mean that WRs and TEs aren't getting separation downfield. This cannot be distilled to simply that "Brees can't throw the ball 20 yards."

Oh, and the first two things I mentioned go hand in hand.. Deep passes take time to develop and a player being open downfield. If the OL isn't providing that time and/or he doesn't feel they will, he's getting rid of it and taking the short option.

It could mean he's getting rid of the ball quickly due to lack of confidence behind the OL. Or it could mean that WRs and TEs aren't getting separation downfield. This cannot be distilled to simply that "Brees can't throw the ball 20 yards."

Oh, and the first two things I mentioned go hand in hand.. Deep passes take time to develop and a player being open downfield. If the OL isn't providing that time and/or he doesn't feel they will, he's getting rid of it and taking the short option.

Well, it can potentially be distilled into any of the options you gave. What you're saying is that you can't distill it down to one or the other at this point. Here's the thing. Sean Payton has to be able to distill it down and fix it, or we're in for a long arse season.

It's become pretty clear he doesn't have confidence going downfield anymore, and it's only getting more obvious and teams are adjusting accordingly. It could be lack of confidence in the o-line's ability to protect, it could be a lack of chemistry or confidence in his receivers, but I think it mostly a lack of confidence in his arm strength to fit the ball in tight windows like he used to be able to. It's like a prize fighter at the end of his career, where he can see the opening he just can't take advantage of them anymore.

I know Saints fans don't want to hear this but I think Brees is done. It's Winston time. Drew Brees can't carry the team anymore and the defense isn't strong enough to carry the team like Peyton Manning's last season. This is not a Superbowl team.

Well, it can potentially be distilled into any of the options you gave. What you're saying is that you can't distill it down to one or the other at this point. Here's the thing. Sean Payton has to be able to distill it down and fix it, or we're in for a long arse season.

Are we talking about football here or fine bourbon at a distillery - lol. Just having some fun!

It's painful to watch. We all knew this was Brees' last ride. We all knew his arm wasn't going to suddenly get strong enough to start airing bombs. I just thought he'd at least be effective in the short/intermediate area like last year, but he seems to be struggling all the way around. That's what worries me, not the lack of bombs. I still think we should utilize Taysom more. Let him have more snaps to run the read option, and air some bombs on occasion. Why haven't we done more of that when it was so effective last season? That's the best solution I can come up with, other than hoping Brees shakes off whatever is affecting him.

If by week 5 or 6, if Brees doesn't have the rust knocked off by then, i'm gonna be real upset. You know when to hang it up, he planned to hang it up, but came back apparently because of that Tom Brady story. If he came back knowing he didn't have much left, that is not right. Hopefully its just rust and a pinpoint timing offense like the Saints will need a little bit more time to get in sync.

I won’t say that Brees is done because I don’t know that. I won’t even guess at it. What I will say is that if it’s true, then it’s been a great run and as a fan, I appreciate everything he’s brought to the team, the league, and the fans.
Additionally, and this is just my opinion, if it is true and acknowledged by not only him but also Coach, then it needs to be addressed for the sake of the team and for the sake of winning. I have nothing more to add.

You're right, and that is what I'm saying. We can't say it's one thing or the other. Maybe one play someone's wide open but he doesn't have time to get to that read. Maybe another play he has protection but it's b/c the defense has extra men in coverage meaning no one is open. But to think that he suddenly can't accurately throw further than 20 yards is a bit ridiculous. I'm sure Payton will figure things out. He usually does. No preseason meant no rhythm / pace building for Payton and the coaches as well.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom