Zone Coverage. Why don't we run it? (1 Viewer)

Usmfan84

Hall-of-Famer
VIP Contributor
Reaction score
Ok, I know we run mainly man coverage, but if we get Samuel, and we already have David who is ok in a zone defense, why don't we run a new scheme? Both of those have had all there success in Zone. I know Samuel can run man coverage, but I still don't understand.

because our linebackers can not tackle

Not only can they not tackle they are to slow to react to zone, Safety are not good enough or fast enough, Lineman do not generate enough Pressure.

a successful cover 2 zone needs a stout NT and pressure on the QB (that's a big reason indy went after booger last year)... of course i think *any* scheme needs a stout NT and pressure :)

Do you have faith in our defensive backs to be in position and make plays in both the passing game and running game?
Do you have faith in our linebackers making tackles and covering the middle of the field?
Do you have faith in our defensive line generating consistent pressure without much blitz help?

If you can answer yes to all of the above, then we should consider switching..

Do you have faith in our defensive backs to be in position and make plays in both the passing game and running game?
Do you have faith in our linebackers making tackles and covering the middle of the field?
Do you have faith in our defensive line generating consistent pressure without much blitz help?

If you can answer yes to all of the above, then we should consider switching..

I think I'm going to cry.

We do run some zone coverage. Just because our base defense is 4-3 man with two deep safties doesn't mean we don't run a good bit of zone defenses.

It wasn't that long ago that the team ran zone coverage almost exclusively, and the cry on the forum was unanimous.........."why don't we switch to man coverage??????"
Scheme doesn't make your players good. Players make your scheme good.

Yeah, I've read many times before on here...that we have at least ran zone, including this season....

Didn't we run zone in the Indy game?

Yes, we definitely run some zone defenses, and actually seemed to run more this year than in 2006.. But I'm pretty sure that we don't have the personnel to switch to a base zone defense like the Tampa 2 (and be successful)..

Doesnt man coverage work because of constant pressure? What we need is C Grant to lose some weight, or become our DT, and get some LBers that are worth something, and then worry about changing schemes.

on a majority of the plays where we got beat deep, we were running a 4 deep zone, david looks into the backfield for no reason, and the reciever runs by him. we also run cover 2 a decent amount and usually get beaten. one reason, i think, is that players are not secure that the other players in a neighboring zone can handle it, and try to overcompensate and we have gaping holes as a result. add some better players and you will see us rone more zone but also mix it up with man. ultimately you'd like to be 50/50 so the offense doesn't know what you're doing.

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom