Zorin - WindowsXP replacement?! (1 Viewer)

Reaction score
Giving the Alternate OS forum a bump, as there's nothing new here since the post regarding LXLE OS, and the merits of that system.

I'm looking at the calendar and watching the countdown for the final days of support for MS Windows XP. MS has already stopped patching/updating WinXP and has recently dropped MS Security Essentials for WinXP. Despite their long-term warnings, slowly dropping support, and efforts to migrate users to Win7 or Win8, I have read that approximately 25%-33% of Windows users are still using WinXP?! That is mind-blowing to me!

We are down to the last 2-3 months of a 4 year warning, and while I'm sure that percentage figure isn't that high anymore, I'm equally sure that it's still significant. Inasmuch as these folks are still running WinXP, which hasn't been available since circa 2007-2008, I would assume the following are safe assumptions:

- their WinXP machine hardware is somewhat antiquated and probably won't support Win7 or Win8 very well
- they see no reason to buy a new computer with new OS, as the old one is sufficient for their purpose
- they prefer the "familiar" to something new

What will those folks do? Upgrade to Win7? Upgrade to Win8? Buy a new machine with Win8 on it? Or perhaps install an alternatve OS that will extend the life of perfectly functional hardware? None of these seem to be good options for WinXP users. I can't imagine WinXP-era hardware will sufficiently run Win7 or Win8, and who wants to spend $100+ to find out that it doesn't? I imagine quite a few will continue to run WinXP until it is corrupted beyond repair, then spring for a brand new boogie-budget Win8 machine; but who hasn't heard the many complaints about Win8? Alternatively, I imagine that a WinXP user lacks the tech skills to convert their WinXP to an alternative OS; but if they know someone who can help them, or do it for them, I think I found the PERFECT distro for a WinXP migrator!

Zorin is an Ubuntu-based distro with a heavily customized Gnome desktop designed to mimic WinXP. Zorin Lite is even lighter, with a customized LXDE desktop, also mimicking WinXP. My mother is a typical "average computer user" and has been having problems with her WinXP machine. After the umpteenth repair session, I discussed all the above with her, and she agreed to allow WinXP to be replaced, with the caveat that "if I don't like it, I'm buying a new computer." I agreed, clarifying that "we're only doing this to see if you can SAVE that money you're prepared to spend." So I replaced WinXP on my mother's Dell Mini10 laptop with Zorin Lite and Zorin runs better on that little dual-core Atom processor than WinXP EVER did! Mom LOVES it and has remarked that she was "using it less and less, because of the problems it had, but it's working great again." While demonstrating programs and how to navigate, she noticed the "Z" logo where the Windows "start" menu would be and asked if it was "that new windows?" I explained to her that "no, this is what will SAVE you the $$$ from buying that new windows", but that's how much it resembles what she is used to! After about 5-10 minutes of setting up e-mail, importing browser bookmarks, setting up Skype, and demonstrating how to use things, she was off to the races. I haven't had a computer call in 3 weeks now, which is a vast improvement over the WinXP routine!

In case anyone else is interested, here is the link for Zorin:
Zorin OS - Home

Personally, I would recommend version 6 over version 7, as 6 is based on a long-term support release with 5 years' of security updates & patches. If the machine is a low-resource machine, with minimal RAM, slower CPU, etc... I would recommend the Lite version over the Core version, as LXDE is lighter/quicker than Gnome. If we can help WinXP migrators solve their problem by installing for them, we'll also be helping ourselves by reducing the number of calls for WinXP support. And that has been a beautiful thing! :) Spread the word, and enjoy...

Not trying to change the subject of the thread, but you mention the XP end of life. I don't think it's so much the home user that's in trouble with that as it is the corporate world. I can't speak for other companies, but my company is seriously lacking in upgrading from XP. We have a lot of older XP systems, mainly in our secure areas. We're a government contractor and lot of the problems come from all of the recent budget cuts. The money to upgrade just hasn't been there. I have to guess that other companies are in the same boat.

Zorin looks interesting. I'll have to load that into a VM and take a closer look.

Not trying to change the subject of the thread, but you mention the XP end of life. I don't think it's so much the home user that's in trouble with that as it is the corporate world. I can't speak for other companies, but my company is seriously lacking in upgrading from XP. We have a lot of older XP systems, mainly in our secure areas. We're a government contractor and lot of the problems come from all of the recent budget cuts. The money to upgrade just hasn't been there. I have to guess that other companies are in the same boat.

Zorin looks interesting. I'll have to load that into a VM and take a closer look.

I hadn't thought about the Corporate world? I just assumed many, if not most, machines had already been addressed. My company is a small private one, with about 10 computers in the building, plus central server. We've slowly been replacing machines as the cost to repair/maintain old XPs has started to approach or even exceeded refurbished or new Win7 machines. I think we have 1 XP left, and it isn't critical. Large companies running XP is a scary thought. Here's another....I recently read that the primary OS used in the majority of Bank ATM machines is based on WinXP! I would've never guessed that! And they're speculating that these WinXP systems in banks is the Y2K that never happened. I don't know if any of that is true, or if Microsoft sponsored the article to give Win8 sales a boost, but you gotta admit that WOULD be a nightmare!

In all honesty though, if April 8 is the date, it's not like these XP machines are gonna quit working on April 9. And if they're isolated workstations without internet access (I have one in my basement, it's a DAW recording station), there's probably no need to worry whatsoever. I've cultivated a Linux-based Ubuntu Studio alternative, and I'll continue to tweak it as a viable replacement; just like I did with my production desktop, BEFORE I flipped the switch for a full Linux box. But I'm in no hurry for that particular machine... I feel like I have the solutions to computer armageddon ;-) already loaded up in the chute, just waiting to be released. Then again, I don't know....MAYBE these XP machines WILL mysteriously quit working the very next day?! Wouldn't be the first time MS forced an upgrade on unsuspecting users...

But I digress with the hijack also (can you hijack your own thread?). By all means, check out Zorin and Zorin Lite. I've put Zorin Lite on 3 WinXP machines now, in order to assist with migration, and all 3 folks love it. They've recruited 2 new users that I'm converting as we speak. It's that good! JMO!

Another corporate user here, still with mostly XP machines. Most of our desktops act as thin clients to terminal servers in the cloud (where we have put more of our hardware investment).

I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade, because the desktops aren't doing anything important, but I could save on the hardware costs if Zorin had a remote desktop client. What are the chances of that?

yep. i know of a few state agencies, *ahem* law enforcement, that are primarily xp machines. they don't have it in the budget to upgrade.

we have about 50% xp and should have all but a couple migrated to 7 before the EOL (extension # 85).

we also have 4 win2k/2003 servers that cannot be upgraded or replaced. the propriety software running on them isn't supported 2008+

Another corporate user here, still with mostly XP machines. Most of our desktops act as thin clients to terminal servers in the cloud (where we have put more of our hardware investment).

I don't have a compelling reason to upgrade, because the desktops aren't doing anything important, but I could save on the hardware costs if Zorin had a remote desktop client. What are the chances of that?

Does VNC or TeamViewer qualify? If so, chances are 100%!

Zorin is a respin of Ubuntu, which is based on Debian. There are various VNC programs (TightVNC comes to mind), but I've always used TeamViewer for its cross-platform portability. Versions for Windows, Mac, Linux, Android, iOS, and perhaps others too. Teamviewer is free for personal use, but a license is required for commercial.

TeamViewer - Free Remote Control, Remote Access & Online Meetings

And I'm fairly certain I'm in a minority with TeamViewer (there's a shocker!), as I hear most folks refer to a version of VNC when it comes to remote access. A quick google returned this tutorial for a mixed Linux/Windows environment, but assuming an RPM based distro (like Red Hat, Fedora, etc...).
VNC installation, configuration and use with Linux and Microsoft Windows

I'm certain there's a version of VNC for debian based distros, but I'm not familiar enough with Red Hat/RPM to comment on how similar the procedures will or won't be.

Spoke a moment too soon, here's a specific Zorin thread:
Zorin Group Forum

How's that Buzd?

I haven't found VNC to be an acceptable replacement for RDP in terms of stability, security, and multiple connections. Granted, I haven't looked into it much in an enterprise environment.

I've never worked in a corporate environment, so I don't know much more than "how to connect to someone else's desktop at a remote location." Your question may be above my pay grade?

Here's a thread where folks are offering their opinions on the "best" RDP for Ubuntu. A whole bunch of names dropped here, including Remmina, which might be the only one I've heard of. Helpful?
[SOLVED] Which Remote Desktop (RDP) Client?

DL'd the lite version w/ UnetBootin to put the .iso on a thumb drive.

Gernta try and bring life back to The Boy's netbook which has become a glorified etch-a-sketch since the last few win patches came through.

Thanks JH.

Wonder how far back zorin will support... I've got a 15+ year old Toshiba Satellite conversation piece that is living on as a monitor stand... Wonder if it'd take an install.

I've never worked in a corporate environment, so I don't know much more than "how to connect to someone else's desktop at a remote location." Your question may be above my pay grade?

Here's a thread where folks are offering their opinions on the "best" RDP for Ubuntu. A whole bunch of names dropped here, including Remmina, which might be the only one I've heard of. Helpful?

[SOLVED] Which Remote Desktop (RDP) Client?

Thanks. Definitely helpful. I'm going to take some time and go through that.

i've been messing around with ReactOS (ReactOS Project) pre-installed on a vmdk, and for an alpha, its much more polished than i anticipated.

it has a kickstarter project going on: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/thorium/thorium-core-cloud-desktop?ref=live

ReactOS® is an effort to create a Free and Open Source replacement for the Microsoft Windows NT® family that is compatible with both applications and drivers. The NT® architecture has always been highly flexible and powerful and its continued dominance in the computer industry means it is one of the most supported family of operating systems in existence, with its latest iteration being Windows 8.
As these days operating systems are little more than gateways to applications that users want to run, an open source NT implementation would allow users to continue using familiar programs in a familiar environment. The project seeks to embrace the strengths of the NT family while avoiding many of the configuration decisions that made older versions of Windows vulnerable and maintaining a lightweight environment so that a computer's resources can be dedicated to what really matters to the user, running their applications.

DL'd the lite version w/ UnetBootin to put the .iso on a thumb drive.

Gernta try and bring life back to The Boy's netbook which has become a glorified etch-a-sketch since the last few win patches came through.

Thanks JH.

Wonder how far back zorin will support... I've got a 15+ year old Toshiba Satellite conversation piece that is living on as a monitor stand... Wonder if it'd take an install.

As long as your hardware is linux-friendly, I imagine "the boy's netbook" will resuscitate quite nicely for you, as I've got 3+ under my belt now. All with positive reviews.

Your 15+ y.o. Toshiba Satellite is interesting. I'd say give Zorin Lite a Live run and see how she does. In its running state, Zorin Lite appears to consume around 300MB of RAM on my machines, depending on how many programs are open and what they're doing at the moment. If Zorin is too heavy for that machine, I'm also aware of an OS called AntiX, which is targeted precisely for the era of your Toshiba! You can learn more here:

DistroWatch.com: antiX

In all fairness, I don't have any experience with this distro, other than being aware of it and hearing about it on another forum I frequent. However, several frequent posters who are typically reliable have raved about this low-spec distro. The minimal hardware requirements are just mind-blowing! I plan to install in a VM to see what the fuss is about, but haven't gotten around to it yet. Just sharing the knowledge in case it's helpful to you! If this appears to be of interest to you, please let us know if it revives your Toshiba! Perhaps start an AntiX thread and share your observations & opinions! Good luck!

The Satellite 100CS won't even get close to Zorin's requirements.

I verified it still boots (or at least tries too) this past weekend... I believe the HDD is borqued, but it tries really hard to load Win98, or maybe it's 3.1 ?? :idunno:
I have 3 or 4 old 2.5" HDDs that will probably work as a replacement.

Anyway, I'll look into AntiX for the Toshiba, although I'm beginning to think I may need to do a base install to the drive externally via USB-->SATA/IDE adapter, and then move the drive to the old laptop. I had a CD-ROM in the past for this machine, but it seems to have gone missing over the years.

Besides a serial & parallel port, there is only a 3.5" FDD. so... yeah. This may be an exercise in futility, but I'll give it a couple of hours at least.

The Satellite 100CS won't even get close to Zorin's requirements.

I verified it still boots (or at least tries too) this past weekend... I believe the HDD is borqued, but it tries really hard to load Win98, or maybe it's 3.1 ?? :idunno:
I have 3 or 4 old 2.5" HDDs that will probably work as a replacement.

Anyway, I'll look into AntiX for the Toshiba, although I'm beginning to think I may need to do a base install to the drive externally via USB-->SATA/IDE adapter, and then move the drive to the old laptop. I had a CD-ROM in the past for this machine, but it seems to have gone missing over the years.

Besides a serial & parallel port, there is only a 3.5" FDD. so... yeah. This may be an exercise in futility, but I'll give it a couple of hours at least.

Can you boot from USB? If you've got no CD-ROM and it pre-dates USB boot-ability, you've got your hands full! I guess I'd probably approach it that way too...install to disk, then move disk, but that opens up the possibility of first-time boot issues related to drivers NOT meant for Toshiba hardware, because the Toshiba hardware wasn't connected at installation time. Then again, maybe linux will "detect new hardware" and offer to install new drivers for you? I dunno...

If you can get your hands on an external CD-ROM, and boot from CD (or an external USB flash), your life would be soooo much easier! FWIW, I found a post from 2000 indicating a successful Linux install to the Satellite 100cs:
Linux on the Toshiba Satellite 100CS Laptop

If your particular machine won't boot from CD, it looks like there's an image to "boot floppy disk", then install from CD (or perhaps install from a usb stick?). Follow the links from post #4:
How to install damn small linux from floppy disk

I've never experienced your situation before, so I can't offer fool-proof advice, but your dilemma is interesting. I'm willing to try to help you for as long as the 2 of us can persist, or until someone smarter chimes in with a better answer. Your call...

But it looks like the steps are:
1. Boot floppy disk image
2. Switch to CD (or perhaps USB) image
3. With Live Environment loaded, check system for linux hardware compatibility
4. Assuming everything is fine (as referenced in 2000 post), install Linux distro
5. Ta-da...hardware is resurrected?!

Also, FWIW, I installed the AntiX distro in a VM so that I'm not passing along faulty hearsay. I installed in a 512MB VM with a 10GB hard drive (VirtualBox recommended 384MB RAM and 8GB HDD). I must admit, I'm kind of impressed. It looks a little "dated" by modern standards, but it's certainly nicer than the Win95 or Win98 OEM OS. And it is VERY responsive; made me think "wow", that was fast! I checked system resources and the default state uses about 100MB, so I imagine this machine would strain a bit, but apparently someone installed full-fledged Debian on it circa 2000 and was quite pleased. But I have NO IDEA how 2014 AntiX compares with 2000 Debian.

Alternatively, assuming a bootable floppy to "switch over", perhaps your best option is a flash drive OS with "persistence", such as Damn Small Linux
DSL information

Slitaz
SliTaz GNU/Linux (en)

or Porteus
Home - Porteus - Portable Linux

Or maybe you have already maximized its utility as a paperweight? :) Just thinking out loud...

Create an account or login to comment

You must be a member in order to leave a comment

Create account

Create an account on our community. It's easy!

Already have an account? Log in here.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
    Top Bottom